Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Which BBK should I go with?
Stop Tech
45.00%
Brembo
20.00%
AP Racing
35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Advice on BBK purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 04:12 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that's the right attitude man, research, think, consider, and buy. that's the best bang for the money you spend
always worked for me
Old 04-10-05, 02:48 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great info guys. I just noticed on the L-tuned website that they are selling the Rotora setup rediculoulsly low. I think the Front 6pot is like $2100 and the rear 4 pot is around $1400? Is the rotora kit inferior to the other kits or is it just that their name is not as prestigious as others? I have seen a few GSs on here with the rotora kits but havent read much detailed info on them. I admit I only did a 1/2 assed search since I havent heard much about them. Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-05, 02:59 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rotora supposedly built the setup to complement eachother. I think they claim that you can do the front and add the rear later. I don't want to touch this issue as it has been brought up a few times before.

They also make a 13" 4-piston front setup but this one cannot be used with the 4-piston rear they are selling.
Old 04-11-05, 04:35 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neo
Rotora supposedly built the setup to complement eachother. I think they claim that you can do the front and add the rear later. I don't want to touch this issue as it has been brought up a few times before.

They also make a 13" 4-piston front setup but this one cannot be used with the 4-piston rear they are selling.
I have read some threads where some people got into it over that issue I still think stoptech is at the top of my list and will pm you when the time comes
Old 04-11-05, 04:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
I have read some threads where some people got into it over that issue I still think stoptech is at the top of my list and will pm you when the time comes
oh come on, get the ap racing and join the big group

seriously, stoptech is nice
Old 04-11-05, 08:21 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I will if you donate the extra $ to me. Seriously though, I am planning on doing a wald kit soon after the bbk and dont want to have to wait too long. Plus I will be moving into the new house around that time so im sure money will be flying out of my account. If someone would buy my WIN kit then maybe I will step up to the AP racing
Old 04-11-05, 08:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I will if you donate the extra $ to me. Seriously though, I am planning on doing a wald kit soon after the bbk and dont want to have to wait too long. Plus I will be moving into the new house around that time so im sure money will be flying out of my account. If someone would buy my WIN kit then maybe I will step up to the AP racing
hahhaa, well, whatever floats your boat stoptech is still some damn nice stuff
Old 04-12-05, 05:11 AM
Guru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I struggled with this issue for 2 years now. I originally picked up some LS430 front calipers but without a LOT of trouble with the brackets they will not fit. Tie rod is in the way. So I said screw it. I just ordered my Stoptech 355mm brake kit yesterday. Since I'm a distributor for Stoptech, I figure I may as well show the merchandise. Maybe I'll fiddle with the rear LS430 calipers later on. Stoptech is working on a rear kit for the 98+ GS but they are probably making a 2 piston kit. The 4 piston kit from what I understood had too much braking force in the rear and was not very well balanced.
Old 04-12-05, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Guru
I struggled with this issue for 2 years now. I originally picked up some LS430 front calipers but without a LOT of trouble with the brackets they will not fit. Tie rod is in the way. So I said screw it. I just ordered my Stoptech 355mm brake kit yesterday. Since I'm a distributor for Stoptech, I figure I may as well show the merchandise. Maybe I'll fiddle with the rear LS430 calipers later on. Stoptech is working on a rear kit for the 98+ GS but they are probably making a 2 piston kit. The 4 piston kit from what I understood had too much braking force in the rear and was not very well balanced.
that's correct, they are working on a 2 pots setup, and as far as i can tell it's more for look i suppose. but it's all good. and if you are selling stoptech, you might just as well put them on!
Old 04-12-05, 02:03 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Guru

If this setup is only for looks then I guess it cant be too expensive. Would the rotors be larger or the same size as stock. If they are larger I could justify the purchase depending on price. Also would the calipers be larger than the stock calipers, even though they are only 2 piston?
Old 04-12-05, 02:26 PM
Neo
The One

If this setup is only for looks then I guess it cant be too expensive. Would the rotors be larger or the same size as stock. If they are larger I could justify the purchase depending on price. Also would the calipers be larger than the stock calipers, even though they are only 2 piston?
We'll have to see when StopTech releases it. It won't be that cheap either. I am pretty sure it will be $1k+. How close it gets to $2k (or even over) is the question.

Here is a pic of the kit (for another car):

Old 04-12-05, 04:01 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

That pricing doesnt make sense for something that wiill be "just for looks". I wont be spending that much for that kit if the only reason to get it is for looks
Old 04-12-05, 04:35 PM
Neo
The One

That pricing doesnt make sense for something that wiill be "just for looks". I wont be spending that much for that kit if the only reason to get it is for looks
Well, there will be people who wants the "balanced looks". It is not for everyone. There is a cost though for larger rotors, calipers, pads, and R&D to make sure adding a rear such as this won't adversely throw off the bias with the front kit.
Old 04-12-05, 04:47 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Rich a certain component of all BBK's is the cool factor. I wont start the debate again but it has been argued that you wont see much of an improvement with a BBK over aftermarket pads and stock system. I think you can definitely debate wheter it is 2K-4K worth of improvement if there is any. Thats why I havent put one on yet, 2K - 4K can buy you a lot of go fast goodies and if I am not going to seem dramatically shorter stopping distances well then I spend my money where I feel I will get the best bang for the buck
Old 04-12-05, 04:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well, keep in mind we have people spending 1300 on jp taillights, totally for look

it's hard to say whether it's justified, it's your call. but stoptech said that their 4 pots setup for the front is balanced with the oem rear. so if they come out with a stoptech 2 pots rear and it's still balanced, i can only imagine them to have about the same stopping power.

someone else did bring up some good points durnig our private talks, but i won't bring them up here until we have more findings though

and no idea about the size of the rotors and the caliper locations for the new 2 pot setup, i think it's sitll too early to tell

Quick Reply: Advice on BBK purchase