Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Which BBK should I go with?
Stop Tech
45.00%
Brembo
20.00%
AP Racing
35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Advice on BBK purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 06:14 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i still say a supra tt front with ls430 rears each giving you 13.1 rotor sizes at less then half the cost of rotora or stoptech will give you the front to rear bal and incrediabe stopping power and you can paint them whatever color you want heck i actually mounted the rmm caliper stickers on the rears to now match the fronts

one point another member along time ago made to me which stuck in my head was the fact of getting replacement parts /pads..

with your brembos stoptechs rotoras (although really quality and nice looking) they require you to buy pads , rotors (not the hats).. imagine warping or cracking the rotor on a 2 piece application , thats around 300-500 for one rotor to replace , imagine a seized caliper , you have to send back to manufact for rebuild = down time,, whereas with either the supra tt or ls430 setups , you chose your own pads , rotors and if you have a seized caliper you can buy a replacement used or new

i have to admit though , the wow factor like bluelex's car cannot be denied , it is eyecatching , i have almost made the order on several occasions until i read more into them and compared notes on my current setup and i had to ask , is it worth the extra 2500 , do i show my car and the answer was no to all of the above

i agree with morris
Old 04-12-05, 06:28 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
oh come on, get the ap racing and join the big group

seriously, stoptech is nice

**********ttt get the ENDLESS and start your own group
Old 04-12-05, 06:45 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T.L.W.
**********ttt get the ENDLESS and start your own group
Tired of your *small* group of one? Can't stand your brakes not *lasting* an entire lap of the track? Then check out the *hard* pedal feel of the *big* AP Racing racing brakes. See how they make you *last longer* when braking out on the track. Errr... Umm.... Was just reading some mail

Seriously.. I would rank them this way considering price and performance:

1) AP
2) StopTech
3) Brembo
Old 04-12-05, 06:49 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Tired of your *small* group of one? Can't stand your brakes not *lasting* an entire lap of the track? Then check out the *hard* pedal feel of the *big* AP Racing racing brakes. See how they make you *last longer* when braking out on the track. Errr... Umm.... Was just reading some mail

1) AP
2) StopTech
3) Brembo

where you going with this ????
Old 04-12-05, 07:18 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson

1) AP
2) StopTech
3) Brembo
Similar to my list.

Anyway, everyone has different priorities and goals when modding the brakes (just like modding anything else). There is no real right answer in terms of what is the best fit for everyone. Everyone in this thread made a choice based on their needs, wants, and situation and I think for the most part, everyone is happy with the end result.
Old 04-12-05, 07:20 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

honestly haveing read many many threads on brakes it seems like a lot of people made the point that if you get some really good pads and slotted or cross oem rotors that your car will stop with plenty of power to be happy with. Now when you start to go into bbk set ups you are already diveing in for looks even if you don't admit it. looks play a factor. To me if you decide to go with Endless, brembo, wilwood,stoptech, ap, rotora, or even supra-tt. They will all give you a big jump on stopping power and the looks to go with it. Are you planning on going to the track? Are you planning on drifting your car? or are you going to drive your car normally and hard at times and just want to know that you have an extra edge on stopping power? All will do the ladder just fine so it does come down to money and looks. I took my car to moroso a week and half ago and ran it for fun. I went down and at the end of the track i purposely slammed the brakes to see what they would do from about 110 mph and low and behold the car stopped on a dime. I have a vid if someone would host it.. but back on topic, all the systems have been tested and proven, its human nature to say one is better than other but i think all would do the job just fine. good luck, can't wait to see what you go with. i'll be in tampa in late may mayb we could hook up for some drive and stops..
Old 04-12-05, 08:26 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

neo i must say well said bro

however another perspective blue , the gs oem setup was well designed and thought out .. front to back bias was almost perfect , but were only designed for a certain type or category of driver and for up to 17in wheels.

when you up wheels size to 19 in and beyond you have maxed out the cap of the stock oem rotor to disapate heat effectivly , the dual piston cannot generate enough trq valve and after 2 or 3 hard stops their pretty much useless..

the whole point is not whats better , its exactly how neo put it , but it is a choice that is required to be able to enjoy the full cap of this car especially when susp has been tuned for speed and or adding f/i .. it is a must have , some will choose your ap's , rotora's brembos etc etc for great stopping ability with outstanding appeal but that does come with a price and some will do just for the perf aspect with a budjet in mind

each will serve the purpose
Old 04-12-05, 08:35 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the great points that have been brought up recently.

Has anyone had to replace the rotors on their bbks? What would that run? ALso how much are the brake pads to replace when the time comes?

I dont track my car as it is a stock GS3 so it isnt fast at all. I do have upsized wheels (20s) so a bbk would help to stop the car a little better as opposed to the stock. But when I get a few more things done I would like to start taking the car to shows. It has been 2 years since I have put a car in a show and I really miss it. I dont care if I win because I am realistic. At every show there are quite of few GSs that have every mod under the sun and they get the attention. That is fine. I just like to go and be around other people that love their cars as much as I do. That is the part that I miss the most.

Adrian when you are in TPA I would love to check out your car. Hopefully I will have my new wheels in by then
Old 04-12-05, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, if you talk about stop term driving, definitely everything is about the same, there is no way you can see the ap racing or brembo stopping better than say even the stock with ss line

but the problem is brake fade. aftermarket wheels are a lot better in terms of brake fade compare to oem setup, and that's actually something i need badly myself.

but of course, prices is always an issue and it's nothing to overlook on
Old 04-12-05, 10:57 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Thanks for all the great points that have been brought up recently.

Has anyone had to replace the rotors on their bbks? What would that run? ALso how much are the brake pads to replace when the time comes?

2 piece rotors (14.2") crossed drilled/slotted is going to cost you an arm and a leg... You're looking at over $500 for 2. Depending on what brake pad you choose, will cost you another $150-200.

I'm running Rotora's "gold H6" ceramic track pads and retail is over $375 for the fronts only... Thank god they were sponsored...
Old 04-13-05, 11:55 AM
StopTech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i
with your brembos stoptechs rotoras (although really quality and nice looking) they require you to buy pads , rotors (not the hats).. imagine warping or cracking the rotor on a 2 piece application , thats around 300-500 for one rotor to replace , imagine a seized caliper , you have to send back to manufact for rebuild = down time,, whereas with either the supra tt or ls430 setups , you chose your own pads , rotors and if you have a seized caliper you can buy a replacement used or new

Our pads can be bought almost anywhere. In fact, here are all the details about the pad we use. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq19.html

Our two piece floating rotor application is virtually impossible to warp. The rotor is not a solidly bolted onto the hat. The rotor can expand without taking warping the hat out of shape. Here is more about floating vs fixed rotors. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq18.html Keep in mind that not all two piece rotors are the same. Some are floating and some are fixed.

A replacement rotor for a 332mm kit is $235/rotor. 355mm rotors are $245/rotor for slotted. Replacement Axxis Ultimate pads are $73. Axxis Ultimates for the Stock caliper on the GS400 is $58.95 which isn't a large price increase at all.

If you get the warped rotors feeling, it is probably uneven pad deposition. For more details, please see this link. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq25.htm
Old 04-13-05, 12:08 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by StopTech
Our pads can be bought almost anywhere. In fact, here are all the details about the pad we use. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq19.html

Our two piece floating rotor application is virtually impossible to warp. The rotor is not a solidly bolted onto the hat. The rotor can expand without taking warping the hat out of shape. Here is more about floating vs fixed rotors. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq18.html Keep in mind that not all two piece rotors are the same. Some are floating and some are fixed.

A replacement rotor for a 332mm kit is $235/rotor. 355mm rotors are $245/rotor for slotted. Replacement Axxis Ultimate pads are $73. Axxis Ultimates for the Stock caliper on the GS400 is $58.95 which isn't a large price increase at all.

If you get the warped rotors feeling, it is probably uneven pad deposition. For more details, please see this link. http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq25.htm

howard

thanks for your input put parts of your reply are not entirely true. i am well aware of the benefits of 2 piece floating rotor design but to say its impossible to warp is not exactly true.. i have read countless stories on supraforums about guys having trouble with the 2 piece design and how expensive they are to replace , i have also read them on the corvette forums and 300zx forums..

i know that pads can be obtained but choices are very limited ..

howard dont get me wrong , i fully support the notion of a aftermarket bbk .. i know they work and i know some work better then others but when put up against a sitiuation like we have here with the gs and sc lines being able to upgrade to a oem system for less then 1/2 the price , to me its more of do i want to spend the chips and get better braking and the wow facter or do i want to spend little chips and get the performance i seek with chips left over for other things afterall not all of us are serious about doing shows..

for me i want to stop fast and hard time after time without worry or concern and its surly a nice feeling to be able to go down to my good ole hollywood toyota dealer and get replacement stuff whenever

howard seeing that i have this setup would stoptech be interested in working something out for me to test one of your 4corner setups .. at least i can give this community as well as the supra community the ability to see both sides
Old 04-13-05, 12:58 PM
StopTech
Driver School Candidate

howard

thanks for your input put parts of your reply are not entirely true. i am well aware of the benefits of 2 piece floating rotor design but to say its impossible to warp is not exactly true.. i have read countless stories on supraforums about guys having trouble with the 2 piece design and how expensive they are to replace , i have also read them on the corvette forums and 300zx forums..

i know that pads can be obtained but choices are very limited ..

howard dont get me wrong , i fully support the notion of a aftermarket bbk .. i know they work and i know some work better then others but when put up against a sitiuation like we have here with the gs and sc lines being able to upgrade to a oem system for less then 1/2 the price , to me its more of do i want to spend the chips and get better braking and the wow facter or do i want to spend little chips and get the performance i seek with chips left over for other things afterall not all of us are serious about doing shows..

for me i want to stop fast and hard time after time without worry or concern and its surly a nice feeling to be able to go down to my good ole hollywood toyota dealer and get replacement stuff whenever

howard seeing that i have this setup would stoptech be interested in working something out for me to test one of your 4corner setups .. at least i can give this community as well as the supra community the ability to see both sides
Please notice I did say it was VIRTUALLY impossible. It still is possible to warp the rotor. It would almost require a hose down of only the outside face of the rotor while it is hot. Warping on a 2 piece fixed is easier than a floating. When you are talking about people warping rotors, they are most likely pad deposition. This can easlily occur when taking street pads to higher temperatures then they were intended. Uneven pad deposition leaves the feeling of warped rotors, but the rotors aren't really warped. There are just uneven amounts of pad material on the rotor just like what is described in the links that I provide.

And what do you mean by limited choices? Here is a "small" list of pads that we carry for our caliper. This is not mentioning the pads that are available from manufacturers that we don't distribute.

Axxis Ultimate
Axxis Metal Master
Axxis Deluxe +
Pagid Yellow
Pagid Black
Pagid Orange
Pagid Dark Blue
PFC 01
PFC97
StopTech Club Race
StopTech Black Street pad
Hawk HT-10
Hawk HT-14
Hawk DTC-70
Hawk HP+
Hawk HPS
Hawk Performance Ceramic
Ferodo DS2500
Ferodo DS3000
Brake HP XPS

Obviously we are just a distributor for these pads and there are other outlets.

StopTech isn't around to be the cheapest around. Engineering and production of the parts are certainly not inexpensive. Also, thank you for your generous offer however I think that StopTech has proven our performance with the supra crowd. Craig Lieberman's 700 hp Supra which won Sport Compact Car's Ultimate Street car challenge in the March 2003 issue. It stopped 11ft shorter than the 2002 winner.

Last edited by StopTech; 04-13-05 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-13-05, 01:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Lol, hey now Ed - so first you say you have a bunch of evidence and concerns about 2 piece rotor design, non-OEM bbk.... and then you ask for a special deal to 'test one' of the Stoptech 4 corner setups ? Yeah, right I'm sure Howard has one boxed up to send right off to you Nice way to 'grease the skids', lol .

Rich,

I can comment on my decision to go with the Brembo GS 355MM setup. I did a lot of the same research you're doing but ended up making a decision that was totally driven by brand recognition and exclusivity. Right now there are I think only two people I know with the Brembo 14" setup, three with the Endless, three or four with the AP Racing and a decent number with Stoptech.

Based on my reading, I think Stoptech right now is the best bang for the buck / quality in aftermarket brakes. That's what I would have gone with except my goals were to have a better braking system that 'shows'. The Stoptech look equally as good as my Brembos, but they simply don't have the brand recognition that 'Big Red' does. Even non-car enthusiasts know what Brembo is and most don't have a clue about Endless, etc. Those that do are the cool ones you want to talk to, but if you're going for show, Brembo gets the ooohs and ahhhs from the most people IMO.

Any of the brake setups for the GS seem to be good quality - I don't recall reading any real big complaints about any one in particular. Good luck with your decision, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

second pic courtesy brendanlim (he snapped it before I was able to clean 'em )

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-13-05 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 04-13-05, 01:54 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Lol, hey now Ed - so first you say you have a bunch of evidence and concerns about 2 piece rotor design, non-OEM bbk.... and then you ask for a special deal to 'test one' of the Stoptech 4 corner setups ? Yeah, right I'm sure Howard has one boxed up to send right off to you Nice way to 'grease the skids', lol .

Rich,

I can comment on my decision to go with the Brembo GS 355MM setup. I did a lot of the same research you're doing but ended up making a decision that was totally driven by brand recognition and exclusivity. Right now there are I think only two people I know with the Brembo 14" setup, three with the Endless, three or four with the AP Racing and a decent number with Stoptech.

Based on my reading, I think Stoptech right now is the best bang for the buck / quality in aftermarket brakes. That's what I would have gone with except my goals were to have a better braking system that 'shows'. The Stoptech look equally as good as my Brembos, but they simply don't have the brand recognition that 'Big Red' does. Even non-car enthusiasts know what Brembo is and most don't have a clue about Endless, etc. Those that do are the cool ones you want to talk to, but if you're going for show, Brembo gets the ooohs and ahhhs from the most people IMO.

Any of the brake setups for the GS seem to be good quality - I don't recall reading any real big complaints about any one in particular. Good luck with your decision, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
hey dave i took a shot ,

i sincerely doubt for 2500-3000 more it would make me smile more then what i have now

although he did somewhat shut me up about pad choices but the 2 piece rotor thing hes not telling the truth on nor if you should and will need a rebuild of a caliper

dave i tried man

Quick Reply: Advice on BBK purchase