Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Which BBK should I go with?
Stop Tech
45.00%
Brembo
20.00%
AP Racing
35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Advice on BBK purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 01:42 PM
StopTech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
howard alittle off topic so to speak .. after a severe stop lets say from 120 to 0 2 times why does the rotor surface tend to give a blueish kinda tint on the rotor surface .. i see no fade but i sometimes see this scoring on the rotor surface .. i am wondering if its the ebc pads that i use being that it has a high coff of friction that its getting to hot .. whats your take on this
It means that your pads are bedded in.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedinfaq.htm
"FAQ #1: How can I tell if my brakes are bedded-in?

This is a question without a single definitive answer; however, there are visual indicators on the rotor itself which can help determine the state of the bed-in.

1. Rotor discoloration. Typically, there will be a bluish tint to a used rotor which is from heat. A more important color is a grayish tint or film on the face of the rotor where the pads touch. This color is actually from the pad material building up and is the best indication of how much pad material is adhered to the rotor. In general, if the rotor face is still shiny there is not enough pad material built up. Note that different pads will generate different appearances, so take notice of how the rotor appears before starting the bed-in process so you can recognize any difference after. "

As for the weight savings, The calipers may be light but those don't contribute to the rotational mass since they are static on the car. Think about is this way. Holding a bat at the butt will take more effort than choking up on the bat and swinging. Same deal with rotational mass. The car doesn't lose any hp, it just takes a little bit more energy to move. This is the same for wheels. Imagine going from 17" wheels on an escalade to 24" wheels. With the bat analogy, you aren't any weaker, just that one way centers the weight which makes it easier to swing.

Feel free to take our components and place them on a scale. I'm sure that you will find the weights to be very similiar.
Old 04-14-05, 05:11 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man there have been a ton of great replies since I have been here last. This is all great info. About replacing rotors and pads, how many miles do most rotors and pads last on bbks? I dont drive crazy so this will be normal daily driving. I drive about 12-13k miles a year, should I expect to replace the rotors and pads every year or should they last longer than that?

What brand of brake pads are you guys running with the bbks? I just need something mild that wont shed a ton of brake dust and wont eat up my rotors. Any thoughts on the pads that will suit these needs best? Thanks for all the help and keep the info coming.

Dave thanks for the info and yes the bbk is mostly looks for looks. Are stoptech brakes unknown compared to brembo? I would think at a show people can tell what is a bbk and what isnt?
Old 04-14-05, 05:17 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich

Dave thanks for the info and yes the bbk is mostly looks for looks. Are stoptech brakes unknown compared to brembo? I would think at a show people can tell what is a bbk and what isnt?

looks play a big part of it imo....power braking is a bigger part but actual wow factor is always great when you put effort and time into something. Trust me at shows people will notice bbk no matter what brand you have.
Old 04-14-05, 07:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
About replacing rotors and pads, how many miles do most rotors and pads last on bbks?
Depends on the rotors and pads and whether you're talking about front or rear. I had the Axxis Ultimates on my front BBK and replaced them after about 10K (I think!) and was told they had about 60% left. Given the insane dust those pads generated I'm surprised there was THAT much left. But rotors should last you a good while (50K+?) unless you go on a track regularly.

What brand of brake pads are you guys running with the bbks? I just need something mild that wont shed a ton of brake dust and wont eat up my rotors. Any thoughts on the pads that will suit these needs best?
Sure. I mentioned the ultimates above - I personally don't recommend them unless you're interested in track driving because they're very dusty, a little 'slippery' in the rain when cold, and mine at least caused squeaks at low speed. I switched to Axxis (or PBR - same company) MetalMasters the next step down and they've been GREAT. Not quite as 'gritty / grabby' feeling as the Ultimates but still gobs of stopping power and almost no dust and no squeaks. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I then put them also on the stock rear calipers as well.

Show people know brakes, and StopTech is well respected, but Brembo is the bigger name, mainly because of their OEM agreements with several car manufacturers. I have nothing but positive things to say about StopTech though, including their support (I spoke to a guy Matt at the company a couple of times while my brakes were being installed and he was VERY helpful), the quality of their product, their reputation, and the overall value.

Dave - that's great Endless info TLW posted above, maybe that can be combined with the info you put up from other previous posts (feel free to edit mine into a similar format).

Dave - I'd also like to hear your comments (maybe I should do a search since you probably posted this already) on switching from the Supra brakes to the Brembos.
Old 04-14-05, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

its all good bit .. debates are always good..
Thanks, and yes.

btw i hope i did not give that impression that the bbk kits out there are not worth it for that was not my intention ,, just wanted to give another spin on some key points that the less expensive route can be as good and in some cases better then what some of these companies are marketing i mean afterall they are in business to sell whether whole or half truths are being given
I personally think StopTech is a standup company not engaging in half truths but that's just my opinion. Certainly many people are happy with less expensive options but for me, I guess I'm just not interested in putting brakes designed for ANOTHER CAR (or in your case TWO OTHER CARS) on my car - these are BRAKES we're talking about, not just lights or something. But there's many paths - different strokes...

the weight savings over the tt is def got my attention though as well as the wow factor
Given your serious interest in handling (which I can relate to!) I would expect you'd want as little unsprung weight as possible, especially in the front cuz of the steering and cornering at the same time, so maybe at some point you'll switch.

bit now that you are in fl one day soon hopefully we will meet and i will take you on a ride and do multiple stops from say 110 to 0 and you tell me hoe linear and controlled it feels as compared to just doing a bbk front upgrade but one word of caution wear your seat belt for another rode with me and did not lets just say he kissed the windshield real hard
LOL - I certainly hope we meet one day! I'll be sure not to eat just before though.
Old 04-14-05, 07:14 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Dave - that's great Endless info TLW posted above, maybe that can be combined with the info you put up from other previous posts (feel free to edit mine into a similar format).

Dave - I'd also like to hear your comments (maybe I should do a search since you probably posted this already) on switching from the Supra brakes to the Brembos.
thanks

im going to way the caliper with the pads inside tomorrow

and measure some things to make it more complete
Old 04-14-05, 07:32 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks, and yes.

Given your serious interest in handling (which I can relate to!) I would expect you'd want as little unsprung weight as possible, especially in the front cuz of the steering and cornering at the same time, so maybe at some point you'll switch.

bit i am real tempted to make a switch mainly for the look of 14in rotors and i dont know if some of you remember last year the posts i brought up about the benefits of a 2 piece rotor

ohh btw , the setup i have has been used in japan on the clubaristo sites for over 2 1/2 yrs and actually is the preff choice of brakes as a must do upgrade.. in fact thats what prompted me to go that route for it was proven to work well and it was not very expensive to do

but when i see blues car with those delicious rotoras in red i can just imagine against the black what they would look like
Old 04-14-05, 07:40 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the reply Paul and all the great info. It is especially helpful because your setup is the setup I am most likely going to be going with. I will check out those pads, and that is great that the give off very little dust. At the rate of rotor wear I shouldnt need to replace them for 3 yrs or more That is also good news.
Old 04-14-05, 09:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ed and now you wanna do the bbk?! man i am all confused now @_@

still waiting for some discussions on my questions
Old 04-15-05, 05:07 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
ed and now you wanna do the bbk?! man i am all confused now @_@

rom

guess i am just getting bored , but i have to admit , bluelexs car really shines/stands apart from the crowd with those big 14 in rotors and beautiful red calipers

dont get me wrong , my setup works and works extremely well

man i guess i am just looking to get to know the man in brown again (ups) havent seen him for awhile.. you know how it is gotta get that fix man
Old 04-15-05, 06:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

man i guess i am just looking to get to know the man in brown again (ups) havent seen him for awhile.. you know how it is gotta get that fix man
LOL, I can relate! Do you ever see a UPS truck go by and it doesn't drop off something at your place and you're disappointed? HAHA, we're all still waiting for Santa Claus.
Old 04-15-05, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

OK, time to go find them!
Old 04-15-05, 08:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

actually on the weight saving topic for bbk, i started to think more as well, and if people can chime in that would be good too.

we all know that aftermarket calipers (ap racing, brembo, stoptech) they are very light, much much lighter than say the supra tt or the oem one. that's definitely weight saving on the unsprung weight.

however, bbk has bigger and larger rotors, and a lot of times they are quite a bit heavier than stock, or the minor size increase on the supra tt. and it's quite a bit of weight increase. and these are rotational unsprung weight, which is worse than stationary from what i understand.

so combining everything, is the "weight" saving better? don't get me wrong, i have bbk so i am not biased and i DO FEEL that with my ap racing the handling is DEFINITELY improved, better steering. but i don't know how to verify this factor

the reason that got me thinking is that i read somewhere before (i think 2 separate sources) that with bbk the hp on the car actually becomes less

don't flame me
Well, brakes don't affect horsepower, but certainly heavier objects can make the car slower or handle worse.

But as to whether the rotor being bigger causes greater rotational forces even if the overall weight is lighter than a smaller one, I couldn't say (would need some serious math I don't know enough about or have the time). But I always wonder if that's the case, why do they monster brakes on cars like the E55, vs the small ones on the E320? Is it just for looks? I don't think so!
Old 04-15-05, 08:29 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Bigger heavier cars have to dissipate more heat. Also larger front and rear brakes provide more friction to slow the car.

The differnece here is if you upgraded the front brakes only and the front to rear bias is unchanged , how can you have added braking abillity to the car?
Old 04-15-05, 09:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Well, brakes don't affect horsepower, but certainly heavier objects can make the car slower or handle worse.

But as to whether the rotor being bigger causes greater rotational forces even if the overall weight is lighter than a smaller one, I couldn't say (would need some serious math I don't know enough about or have the time). But I always wonder if that's the case, why do they monster brakes on cars like the E55, vs the small ones on the E320? Is it just for looks? I don't think so!
ok, how about we do an integral from the center to the outside of the point weight times the distance.... okok, forget it, we all have had enough calculus in our lives

well, don't get me wrong, the more braking power that's always there, and for fast cars they are needed no doubt. but maybe you compromise with power a bit? maybe overall bbk is still better (better be!), my question was pretty hard to really justify anyway

Quick Reply: Advice on BBK purchase