Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Which BBK should I go with?
Stop Tech
45.00%
Brembo
20.00%
AP Racing
35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Advice on BBK purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 01:52 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Advice on BBK purchase

My next planned mod is going to be a BBK. I have been looking into 1 of 3 BBKs, Brembo, AP racing, and StopTech. I would like to go with a 14" rotor, actually 15" would look better but I dont think there is any for the GS I am looking for performance but also looks. I dont want to spend more than $3k on the kit so I have narrowed it down to these 3. I have talked to several members about their kits and just want to see what everyones opinion is?
Old 04-07-05, 02:29 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you have a really really good hook up, the only one under $3k is the StopTech. Plus, we are talking about only the fronts.

I am not talking about getting a rear BBK but just getting matching rear components (rotors, lines, pads) will be an additional cost. With the StopTech, I believe you will still be under $3k for the front BBK and rear (not BBK) matching parts.

I personally like the APs but for the cost, the StopTechs are it.

I did not vote because I'd vote for AP (out of the 3) if $ was not an issue. With the $3k limit, I'd vote StopTech.

BTW - There is also fitment issues but if you have low disk rims, this issue is probably moot.
Old 04-07-05, 03:29 PM
StopTech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for more performance you may want to consider the 355mm rotor over a 380mm. 355mm being about 14" and 380 being about 15". a 15" rotor is more rotational mass and there for harder for the motor move resulting in the car being slightly slower. In terms of heat capacity, the 14" should be more than adequate for your car.
Old 04-07-05, 06:04 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys. I know the $3k limit can be somewhat flexible but I dont want to flex all the way to $4k I have upgraded my front and rear rotors with cross drilled rotors and brand new ebc pads that havent yet been installed. When I do decid to get the bbk I will do the stainless steel lines in the rear, if available.

I just ordered some new wheels so the BBK will fit

Stoptech is there a 380mm kit for the GS? I always thought 355 was the largest we could go?

Rich

Last edited by GS300Rich; 04-07-05 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-07-05, 06:52 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Stoptech is there are 380mm kit for the GS? I always thought 355 was the largest we could go?
There currently is none and the way Howard position his statement about the 15" rotors, it does not sound like there will be.

I just checked and apparently the APs pricing has gone down since the last time I looked. You are under your 3k mark. As a bonus, their rotors are 362mm. The only potential issue (but I think it is minor) are the rotor match. All the APs I've seen comes with C/D and slotted rotors and the spec says this. If you have C/D rotors, then they won't match well. You may need to buy new rear rotors. Still, compared to the 3k, this is minor.
Old 04-07-05, 07:31 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neo
There currently is none and the way Howard position his statement about the 15" rotors, it does not sound like there will be.

I just checked and apparently the APs pricing has gone down since the last time I looked. You are under your 3k mark. As a bonus, their rotors are 362mm. The only potential issue (but I think it is minor) are the rotor match. All the APs I've seen comes with C/D and slotted rotors and the spec says this. If you have C/D rotors, then they won't match well. You may need to buy new rear rotors. Still, compared to the 3k, this is minor.

You have the ap racing setup right neo? How do you like it? I have also just decided to add Endless to the mix

I think if I have the C/D and slotted front and C/D only in rear I think the match wont be too bad. What do you have in the rear neo?

I am still leaning toward the StopTechs but the new player in the game may be calling my name
Old 04-07-05, 08:07 PM
Neo
The One

You have the ap racing setup right neo? How do you like it? I have also just decided to add Endless to the mix

I think if I have the C/D and slotted front and C/D only in rear I think the match wont be too bad. What do you have in the rear neo?

I am still leaning toward the StopTechs but the new player in the game may be calling my name
I have StopTechs 355s up front and the matching OEM sizes in the rear (also from StopTech). I like them. I've always liked the APs though because of the 6-pistons. I have not driven in a car with one so I can't really say if is is better or similar in street usage. rominl and RMMGS4 have the APs.

Cost and fitment were my initial concerns. I did not want Rotoras. Brembos and APs were more than I wanted to pay at the time. But the biggest thing was that I could only fit Rotoras and StopTechs with my L-Tuned Salinas. I later learned, however, that another member was able to fit the Brembos behind the L-Tuned Salinas.

In any case, it became a choice of 1 so here I am. I don't regret getting the StopTech at all.

It all comes down to your goal. It seems like you have the budget to get any of the above. Endless is nice and exclusive but I don't think you can stay below $3k. Brembos are also nice but they are also 4-pistons. There you are paying for the name (nothing wrong with that). APs, I think, are the only ones with 6-pistons in this price range for the GS.

For street driving, I think all 4 are somewhat comparable. If I had to rank them, it would be

1. AP
2. StopTech (for value) - tie
2. Endless (for exclusive) - tie
3. Brembos

where they are all VERY close in margin. I think you will be happy with any of them.
Old 04-07-05, 08:33 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for all the great info neo. I dont have an endless amount of funds as of right now as I am building a house right now and that is taking up a lot of my time, energy and funding. I am realistically looking to purchase a set in say 3 - 4 months. While I am waiting to pull the trigger I am going to do as much research as I can.

So your stoptechs are 4 pot? Honestly this upgrade is for the benefit of better braking but realistically it will be for looks mostly. I have a GS3 with only an intake so it isnt like I am going to be street racing. I dont have plans for any kind of FI in the future.

I really like the brembos but think they are out of my price range. Endless has great appeal because of its exclusivity. AP racing has the 6 pot in the price range so that is a big plus. But I think for the money what I have found is the stoptechs are a great deal. I dont really need the 6 pot kit because it is mostly for looks so I think right now the StopTechs are the frontrunners but we will see what will happen in the coming months, although I got word on a killer deal for some Endless so who knows where this will go.

I would also like some advice from other members who pulled the trigger on their BBKs and see what the deciding factors for them were.

I have read lots of threads by DaveGS4, Hameed, Rominl and lots of others on their bbks and cant believe how much info there is on here.

Rich
Old 04-07-05, 09:26 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well,
you can see where my vote is by the attached photo. I used to have the Supra TT brakes and did some 60 to 0 testing on both systems, using the same car, same tires, pressure, road surface, as much consistency as possible. I also did repeated stops to see how brake fade factored in. The end result, the AP's stopped several feet shorter than the TT set up HANDS DOWN. So looks and performance can go hand in hand if you ask me.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on BBK purchase-front-artsy-2b.jpg  
Old 04-07-05, 09:27 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's another angle in case you didn't get my hint.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on BBK purchase-front-full-b.jpg  
Old 04-07-05, 10:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hahaha rich, doesn't seem like you have done enough reserach

only a few guys have ap racing, rmmgs4 and i are two of the few

personally, to be honest, of course i would get ap racing. when i got it they only had 13.5", now they have over 14" setup, that's so cool. and it's 6 pots, so you get more bragging rights (since they all more overpowered anyway imho)

and the rotors design being drilled and slotted, dunno, i don't really care much. my rears are just drilled, but that's ok, i don't have a problem. and yes, prices of ap racing has dropped over the yrs, now imho it's very affordable

if i have to rank:

1) ap racing
2) brembo
3) stoptech
Old 04-08-05, 01:27 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I have noticed the prices of the AP racing coming down recently. Who knows what will happen in 3 months or so. I have been searching other forums, suck as E46fanatics, where it seems a ton of guys have the brembo 4 corner bbk on their M3s. I havent really seen anything other than the brembos though. I will keep researching and looking at old posts and see what other info I can drag up. Thanks for the help and thanks for the pics RMMGS4, that AP 6 piston is sick. I really like it in red though. I was going to go with black but after seeing your silver car with the red may have me changing my mind.
Old 04-08-05, 01:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I have noticed the prices of the AP racing coming down recently. Who knows what will happen in 3 months or so. I have been searching other forums, suck as E46fanatics, where it seems a ton of guys have the brembo 4 corner bbk on their M3s. I havent really seen anything other than the brembos though. I will keep researching and looking at old posts and see what other info I can drag up. Thanks for the help and thanks for the pics RMMGS4, that AP 6 piston is sick. I really like it in red though. I was going to go with black but after seeing your silver car with the red may have me changing my mind.
a lot of the m3 people get the brembo 4 corners coz' taht's the only 4 corner high end setup for the car i believe. you know the bragging rights power, if you just get stoptech front people won't get wow on your car.

with that said, if you step it up and look at all the m5 owners, you will start to see a lot of them having the ap racing 8 pots on their cars. so you will then think ap racing is popular.

i think it's probably better to just look at your model and see what's available, that makes more sense to me. stoptech is definitely the best bang for the money imho. endless can never justify the money the way i see it. brembo and ap racing both are thumbs up, if you can shed out the bills
Old 04-08-05, 02:06 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I would never buy a bbk based on what another car type was doing. I just thought it was pretty funny that the M3 guys pretty much only do the Brembos. Here on CL the GS guys have a lot of different bbks and all get pretty good reviews. Didnt look at the M5 owners but 8 pot that is pretty impressive.

For me it has never been "can" I put the money up to pay for my mods, it has been do I want to. I used to mod my car without putting much research into parts, but now I am smarter and a little more judicious as far as the money is concerned, but if something is good quality then I dont mind paying for the quality. As far as brakes go, I certainly dont need them as I dont track my car and im not putting down 450hp (I wish) But it is a great mod and as far as car shows you will definately stand out, because lets face it most cars would invest that money in some new bling wheels with spinners. But I want a clean, well modded, and well thought out car that isnt too wild.
Old 04-08-05, 03:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that's the right attitude man, research, think, consider, and buy. that's the best bang for the money you spend

Quick Reply: Advice on BBK purchase