Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Dealer wants $800+ for new rotors/pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 01:18 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, and after I stopped being a ricer, I started searching the web, and finding articles like this.

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=98

Deffinatelly never looked back at drilled or slotted.
Old 04-14-05, 01:30 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Oh, and after I stopped being a ricer, I started searching the web, and finding articles like this.

Interesting read.....makes ya wonder
Old 04-14-05, 01:42 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
Interesting read.....makes ya wonder
That was my thoughts before I experiences some horrific tragedies with my ride. I though articles like this were BS as well. It just depresses me now to know how much $$$ I threw away being a ricer.
Old 04-14-05, 01:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Well, if you read that article carefully (it's pretty good IMO) it is very fair about pointing out the tradeoffs of drilling and slotted rotors and actually recommends slotted rotors as the best thermal performance option in the conclusion. There are risks inherent with both, but there are also benefits (weight, looks, less glazing, better cleaning of pads). Unless you are taking your GS to the track, you aren't nearly as likely to run into the more extreme problems of cracked rotors. If I ran my car at a road track regularly, I would make a different decision.

Because someone decides to make that tradeoff, does not make them a 'ricer'. Slotted rotors make a little too much noise for me though. I chose to have cross drilled rotors on my car mainly because of look, knowing they are more prone to crack. I'm not taking my GS to the track currently so it isn't a big issue for me. I'd challenge you to tell me how making a personal aesthetic choice makes me a 'ricer' ? It's not hurting my car, and my rotors are likely lighter then yours.

theanimala: I have had my (old setup) slotted/drilled rotors resurfaced at my local Lexus dealer several times... is the problem that yours are so badly warped they won't take it on, or they just don't have the equipment?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-14-05 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-14-05, 02:10 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Well, if you read that article carefully (it's pretty good IMO) it is very fair about pointing out the tradeoffs of drilling and slotted rotors and actually recommends slotted rotors as the best thermal performance option in the conclusion. There are risks inherent with both, but there are also benefits (weight, looks, less glazing, better cleaning of pads). Unless you are taking your GS to the track, you aren't nearly as likely to run into the more extreme problems of cracked rotors. If I ran my car at a road track regularly, I would make a different decision.

Because someone decides to make that tradeoff, does not make them a 'ricer'. Slotted rotors make a little too much noise for me though. I chose to have cross drilled rotors on my car mainly because of look, knowing they are more prone to crack. I'm not taking my GS to the track currently so it isn't a big issue for me. I'd challenge you to tell me how making a personal aesthetic choice makes me a 'ricer' ? It's not hurting my car, and my rotors are likely lighter then yours.

theanimala: I have had my (old setup) slotted/drilled rotors resurfaced at my local Lexus dealer several times... is the problem that yours are so badly warped they won't take it on, or they just don't have the equipment?
Agreed, I am not considering anyone a ricer. I was one. I though my car stopped better with hole in the rotors.

Your rotors might weight less, but what do your rims weigh? My SSR 18"x8" weigh 19lbs. Running 225/40 tire. Performance can be gained elsewhere if we are on that track. Looks wise go all out, and buy these. Personal experience will keep me away from them, especially since i like to load up my corners on most turns.
Old 04-14-05, 02:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Agreed, I am not considering anyone a ricer. I was one. I though my car stopped better with hole in the rotors.

Your rotors might weight less, but what do your rims weigh? My SSR 18"x8" weigh 19lbs. Running 225/40 tire. Performance can be gained elsewhere if we are on that track. Looks wise go all out, and buy these. Personal experience will keep me away from them, especially since i like to load up my corners on most turns.
You should have got the SSR Comps, they weigh a lot less than that for 18x8s but you made the tradeoff on looks I see getting the GT1s .

I think my 19" HREs are around 22 - 23 lbs but I'm honestly not worried about that extra weight. With all my suspension mods I'm going to stay flatter and corner better, the LSD will help me through the turns and he supercharger will pull me far ahead in the straights and coming out of the twisties

If I wanted a track or even a really impressive handling car, I would have bought something else. Mine is a nice combination of luxury, street, show and performance... not a specialty car. I like it just the way it is
Old 04-15-05, 07:10 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
You should have got the SSR Comps, they weigh a lot less than that for 18x8s but you made the tradeoff on looks I see getting the GT1s .

I think my 19" HREs are around 22 - 23 lbs but I'm honestly not worried about that extra weight. With all my suspension mods I'm going to stay flatter and corner better, the LSD will help me through the turns and he supercharger will pull me far ahead in the straights and coming out of the twisties

If I wanted a track or even a really impressive handling car, I would have bought something else. Mine is a nice combination of luxury, street, show and performance... not a specialty car. I like it just the way it is
And that is how it should be. You are the only person who should like it.
Oh and when I was starting to get tired modding my Probe. I just leased me one of these, and called it a day.

Spoiler is out = moving way above 60mph. Oh and the twisties, and acceleration, and braking was juuust fine the way it came. It did have cross-drilled rotors, but only two holes vertically, and Porsche always did the brakes gratis, it was part of the deal I worked out with them.