Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RMM Polished Strut Tower Brace GS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-05, 09:43 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

damn Ivan, you took a 10 day car makeover vacation?! congrats on the SC. sounds like you're set. you need to take that thing to the track for a few runs
Old 05-05-05, 04:20 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Trip home

Originally Posted by rominl
wow damn, ivan, that's quite some driving!!!! i am sure you were engine it big time on the way back huh
Yeah 930 miles is the most I ever did in one day. I got up at 3:30 am and left at 4:15. Only stopped for gas on the way. Did pull into Burger King at one gas stop but ate while driving.
I averaged 70 mph for the 930 miles including the gas stops. 13 and 1/2 hrs. I really wanted to get home and wanted a day there before going back to work on Monday.

Best part of trip was when an M3 passed me and then I returned the favor at about 100 mph. He was stuck behind some cars and I saw him trying to catch me about 30 miles later.

I've got a good radar detector (valentine) and it helped keep me from getting any tickets. I probably averaged 80mph in No Cal on I5

Ivan
Old 05-05-05, 09:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dog
Yeah 930 miles is the most I ever did in one day. I got up at 3:30 am and left at 4:15. Only stopped for gas on the way. Did pull into Burger King at one gas stop but ate while driving.
I averaged 70 mph for the 930 miles including the gas stops. 13 and 1/2 hrs. I really wanted to get home and wanted a day there before going back to work on Monday.

Best part of trip was when an M3 passed me and then I returned the favor at about 100 mph. He was stuck behind some cars and I saw him trying to catch me about 30 miles later.

I've got a good radar detector (valentine) and it helped keep me from getting any tickets. I probably averaged 80mph in No Cal on I5

Ivan
very nice man. i have done 350 miles "constantly", and it's prtty tiring already. i can't imagine how you can do 930 miles in one day, you are crazy, ivan!

and good job on the m3, very very nicely done

avg 80 on i5 that's nothing man, i usually do avg 85 or even 90 sometimes. with v1 you just have to be careful on the back and on the sky

btw, so with the charger, you will need to swap your rear end?
Old 05-05-05, 05:37 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
very nice man. i have done 350 miles "constantly", and it's prtty tiring already. i can't imagine how you can do 930 miles in one day, you are crazy, ivan!

and good job on the m3, very very nicely done

avg 80 on i5 that's nothing man, i usually do avg 85 or even 90 sometimes. with v1 you just have to be careful on the back and on the sky

btw, so with the charger, you will need to swap your rear end?

I did some 90mph but I was real concerned about getting a ticket on this trip and since the speed limit was 70 I figuered that they would give me ten over that. I noticed a lot of people passing me at 80 though

I've done 600 and 700 before. My mom who is 82 goes from So Cal to Seattle every May and then goes back to So Cal in Sept. The last couple of years her doctor wants her to travel with someone. So it can either be a two day trip and spend 10 hrs in the car each day, or 3 days which is more than I want to spend on that trip.

Did I mention the people in the room upstairs at Best Western in Kettleman City. It was all I could do to keep from going up there and killing them. Sounded like they were having a track meet until after 11pm and then I got up at 3:30 am. I did not want to get up but figured it was the only way I'd have a chance to cover all those miles.

God the front of the car must of had a million dead bugs on it. Very disgusting. Washed & Zainoed the car the next day.

I saw the M3 coming from way back passing one car at a time usually on the right side, and then cutting someone else off as he pulled back into the left lane. He went around me and the car in front of me and I decided that I had room to go around him and show him what a fast GS looked like as it was going by. So I jumped on it and got in the right lane and that car was going 100 in the blink of an eye. I passed him and 3 or 4 other cars before I was able to get back in the left lane. And then I really had to jam on the breakes cuz I was going to fast for the cars in front of me in that lane. The SC is powerful enough to snap my head back into the headrest at 60 70 or 80.

So far the 3.76 LSD is working out. I have hit the rev-limiter a few times but I hope that I can learn to back off before hitting it. I don't know, we'll see how it goes. I hate to spend more money right now on the other LSD. But I might just have to switch. I've been trying some different ways of getting it going. E-shift 2-3-4-5, Drive, 3rd gear. 2nd and 3rd are where I've hit the rev-limiter the most, it really ruins the rush hitting that limiter. The ECU is still adjusting to having me floor it constantly but it is getting better.
Topped off the tank tonight and found I had burned up 4.1 gallons of gas to go the last 32 miles.
Was hoping that I was starting to get better gas mileage.

Later

Ivan
3dog
Old 05-05-05, 05:48 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

So far the 3.76 LSD is working out. I have hit the rev-limiter a few times but I hope that I can learn to back off before hitting it. I don't know, we'll see how it goes. I hate to spend more money right now on the other LSD. But I might just have to switch. I've been trying some different ways of getting it going. E-shift 2-3-4-5, Drive, 3rd gear. 2nd and 3rd are where I've hit the rev-limiter the most, it really ruins the rush hitting that limiter. The ECU is still adjusting to having me floor it constantly but it is getting better.
Topped off the tank tonight and found I had burned up 4.1 gallons of gas to go the last 32 miles.
Was hoping that I was starting to get better gas mileage.

Later

Ivan
3dog
Ivan

i feel the same way

we have the same setup

and have no real problems with the LSD

rev limiter a couple of times but that seems to happen with everyone setup

glad to have someone else chime in

i was worried at first but after driving for a while i like the setup

eevryone said no way ..but i feel with the VB upgrade it hooks up so good

thoguhts ??
Old 05-05-05, 06:24 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey guys, My car is stock and I have hit the rev limiter shifting it manually even though I shift before redline, it takes a few tenths to react.

I found that just keeping it in D and letting off the gas a touch when you think you are going to over rev so it shifts and right back in it as soon as it shifting works best.

anyway, my point is does that work with the 3.76 gears and SC too?
Old 05-05-05, 07:24 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile 3.76 LSD and Rev-Limiter

Originally Posted by chuckb
I found that just keeping it in D and letting off the gas a touch when you think you are going to over rev so it shifts and right back in it as soon as it shifting works best.
That seems to be what is working best for me.

I really love my 3.76 Torsen LSD and would hate to give it up.

Ivan
Old 05-06-05, 06:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

very nice man, good run out on the m3

and about the rear end, jut see how it goes. so far from what i see people with FI have been changing it out.

plus, you can make big time money on the rear end
Old 05-06-05, 09:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Topped off the tank tonight and found I had burned up 4.1 gallons of gas to go the last 32 miles. Was hoping that I was starting to get better gas mileage.
Well even with your lead foot it sounds to me like you're running seriously rich on the mixture. Probably not unusual to get the SC settled in and then you can make it run a little less rich (and you'll get more power).

What air/fuel controller are you using?
Old 05-07-05, 01:42 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would a upgrade valve body help the tranny shift a lil better w/LSD and gears
Old 05-07-05, 05:55 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Mpg

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well even with your lead foot it sounds to me like you're running seriously rich on the mixture. Probably not unusual to get the SC settled in and then you can make it run a little less rich (and you'll get more power).

What air/fuel controller are you using?

Apexi SAFCII Klynch included it as part of the sale. Then it was tuned at XS Engineering in Huntington Beach California. It is possible it is on the rich side. I also have the 310 injectors

As far as my lead foot when I first bought my car I only got 10 miles a gallon the first week I had it. Eventually I got it up to 16, and then I got the 3.76 and the TC and dropped down to 14mpg. I think the ECU is getting used to all of this and that should also make a difference.
I think I romp on it to and from work more than you can even imagine. I will even stop in the middle of the road several times on the way to work just to do it. I think if I backed off of that the mpg would go up but it is so much fun I don't know when that is going to happen.
On the way back from California I averaged 20mpg. On the way down I got 23-24mpg.

Originally Posted by HKS_GS430
would a upgrade valve body help the tranny shift a lil better w/LSD and gears

I have heard that it helps.

Hey Johnny I did not mean to hijack your thread Sorry

Ivan

Last edited by 3dog; 05-07-05 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-07-05, 06:35 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Johnny I did not mean to hijack your thread Sorry

Ivan
Ivan

i hope you are kidding

you have posted great info

i wish it was in a different thread so when people search they would find it

when i first put mine in the mileage was gross ...like 7-10 mpg
now im like 15-17 mpg

Ivan im glad you went with this setup ....join the FI registry
Old 05-09-05, 11:37 PM
Rondo1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bracing for the GS400

So I have a simple question. I'm seriously considering picking up this RMM strut bar, but if I do that, should I also consider any other bars for the rear or bottom of the car also? Is it REQUIRED/NECESSARY, or can you just go with this one bar. If you do, what will be the difference in drive with just this bar vs this bar AND others in the rear and bottom, etc.?
Old 05-10-05, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rondo1
So I have a simple question. I'm seriously considering picking up this RMM strut bar, but if I do that, should I also consider any other bars for the rear or bottom of the car also? Is it REQUIRED/NECESSARY, or can you just go with this one bar. If you do, what will be the difference in drive with just this bar vs this bar AND others in the rear and bottom, etc.?
nothing is "required" or "must". the more braces you add, the better it gets, that's the bottom line

the rear of the gs is pretty loose to begin with, so personally i would want to focus on stiffing up the rear of the car, that's just me
Old 05-10-05, 06:05 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear was pretty bad but I noticed once I put in the coilovers and swaybars, the rear is no longer an issue, its planted. I guess the question is once you have done these two mods how much of a noticeable benefit will you get from rear swaybars?

Quick Reply: RMM Polished Strut Tower Brace GS400