Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS430 L-Tuned Suspension Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 08:26 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you have to remove the trunk liner.
Old 06-30-06, 08:44 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that seems simple.... on my solar ai had to removce the back seats the side panels in the rear and decklid to get to the strut tops lol.... i hope its juts the liner.. i'll go look right now
Old 06-30-06, 08:57 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

aaha! u were correct.... sweet i cant wait to install 2 of my coils tonight and the other 2 tomorrow.... i'll post up pics for u guys.. and i juts installed my TTE front lip.... its gonna look great
Old 07-19-06, 05:15 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Adam2562, did you install the Tein CS's?
Any comments on how this thread helped? Any snags when installing the Teins?
Old 07-21-06, 05:25 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Is it this involved if you just want to change the springs?
Old 07-23-06, 08:18 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

engin_ear hey yes i did install my coils myself with a friend ... we've done our suspension work on ours cars together since we ever started modding yrs ago.. and yes this site did help but i've had prior knowledge of installs i've always had toyotas before so it wasnt much of a challenge.. same concepts..

KaneDL25 ... if u want to juts put springs in alone.. that is much more difficult u will need a spring compressor and better to have power tools... u have to disassemble the shock assembly in order to just put springs.. i've done that many timesand its not worth the trouble... especially where u cant adjust anything.. i'd say save up and get coilovers

(sorry i'm getting used to my new keyboard lol)
Old 08-06-06, 09:16 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

I think this should be made into a sticky, there's a lot of useful info in this thread.
Old 08-06-06, 09:19 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Adam2562
KaneDL25 ... if u want to juts put springs in alone.. that is much more difficult u will need a spring compressor and better to have power tools... u have to disassemble the shock assembly in order to just put springs.. i've done that many timesand its not worth the trouble... especially where u cant adjust anything.. i'd say save up and get coilovers
You know I did this mod this past weekend and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I really wish I could have gotten coilovers but just springs will have to do for now. It took a long time to get them in but it didn't feel like a long time. Like they say, time flies when you're having fun.
Old 10-01-06, 06:24 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, it really should be a sticky.
Old 04-07-07, 07:44 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
I agree, it really should be a sticky.
I third that motion. I just did it with a friend and i took a long time, but we had to go back to auto store two times. The instructions were right on mark, again, great write up. The very next day I went to the track and put it to the test. I would not have tried changing my springs and shocks without this write up. We had to remove the upper suspension (that bolt some didn't have to remove) to get the shocks out. Oh, and using power tools (airgun) works best especially with the spring compressor.
Old 04-11-07, 10:48 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

For all that have done this, I just have a few questions. To get the spring/shock assembly out do I have to compress the springs first or can it come out fully extended? Also when reinstalling the aftermarket ones do I have to recompress it to get them back on? I'm contemplating on whether I should try this myself or have the shop do it ($240). The springs and shocks I'm getting come assembled already so it's just a direct swap.
Old 04-11-07, 11:31 AM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole assembly comes out in 1 piece... If you have the shocks and springs already together, then you don't need a spring compressor, it's basically a direct swap...
Old 04-11-07, 04:28 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by o2GS43o
The whole assembly comes out in 1 piece... If you have the shocks and springs already together, then you don't need a spring compressor, it's basically a direct swap...
Ditto man...
Old 04-22-07, 06:13 AM
45jimmy
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this comes in handy
Old 03-11-08, 07:29 AM
Zishan
Driver

Well, I can see years and years have passed and this thread has helped many people. I just want to add myself to this list.

I ordered some Tein springs and decided to do the install this weekend. I did the front first, got the strut out, took the OEM spring off without a spring compressor, went to mount the new Tein spring, and F@#$%@#$%!#$, they sent me IS300 springs. So I went, got a spring compressor, tighten the OEM spring using hand tools, and put it all back together. <--this was a beach!!!

I talked to the vendor and the correct springs are now on their way. Doing the front will be no problem for me, and I will figure out the rear as well.

I will re-attempt this weekend. But here is some advice.

1. Power tools are your friend, but who needs friends
2. You do not need to press out any ball joints, but you will need to use a little muscle to get the strut back in. Turning the steering wheel is a must
3. Aligning the strut after mounting it is possible. I did this by tightening the top bolts and the taking a long screw driver and placing it in the bottom mounting hole of the strut. With some WD-40 and some muscle, you can turn the strut to align it.
4. It helps to have someone around to hand you tools, smoke with, and cuss at when things don't go your way.
5. It is not that hard, if any local guys need help, I can assist.

Good luck,
- Z

Last edited by Zishan; 03-12-08 at 06:36 AM.

Quick Reply: GS430 L-Tuned Suspension Install