Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

The Best - Dust Less Brakes Pads for Stock Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 07:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Axis Ultimates all the way. Go to http://www.cobaltfriction.com/ to pick them up. That site has comparisons and temp ratings. I had them on my past 3 cars and love them. Minimal to zero dust, no squeel, no fade. I have to admit that on really cold days, -15C or around there, they did emie a horrific squeel, but only for half a second, and only for the first time the brakes are applied. Other than that, they stopped great and never faded.

Oh, P.S., that site will give you a 15% discount if you belong to a car club. Just call in.
I've had the Axxis Ultimates on my rear OEM brakes since last summer (2004), and I'd agree with slickgt1's statements. Very low dust, a little squeal at very cold sometimes that goes away quickly. I have Brembo 355mm big brakes up front with whatever pads they ship with, and they dust a LOT more than the Axxis. Stopping power is good and with these pads seems to maintain a nice balance with the front (which do most of the work).

BTW, Steve Ganz and Carson Toyota carry the Axxis pads (where I got mine). Would recommend checking with him for prices as well. Especially if you're ordering other stuff.
Old 05-09-05, 08:44 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have Akebono Pro-Act pads and they stop great, but I also have slotted Brembos up front and powerslot slotted rears (OEM size as I run OEM rims)

got them from tirerack BTW

and low dust as well with no noise
Old 05-09-05, 11:33 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Ed - I don't 100% agree that experience with various pads on a brake different setup is a direct comparsion. Absolutely no problems sharing your observations (thanks for that and for the other folks that chip in), I'm just suggesting you caveat it up front because they are different brakes. If we're looking for brake pad observations in general, we could put this in the tires & brakes forum or car chat and let the SC, LS, GX, LX, etc owners who have tried aftermarket brake pads chip in too as their findings should apply just the same. But I think the thread starter is looking for observations on pads that will work on stock 2nd gen GS brakes.

The different brakes (Supra TT up front and LS out back for you) have different pad sizes which create a substantially different footprint on the rotor, different number of pistons that clamp down in different spots, with different friction and brake wear characteristics, wheel requirements etc. The pads are likely the exact same compound and probably will have similar dusting and stopping characteristics, but you and I can't say for sure because we have not tried them on OEM brakes. That's all I'm saying.

On the EBC Redstuff - I'd be very cautionary about throwing out a high recommendation of the pads if you're only bedding the brakes in. We might all find these are the best thing since sliced bread over time, but IMO one day isn't enough to give anything more than inital thoughts and observations on 'em. Give 'em a little time
dave let me expand on this if i may

my brother in law has a 99 gs 400 silver which last year i did a 4 wheels oem upgrade to

powerslot front and rears rotors stainless steel lines and ebc greenstuff pads so i have a clear ref point to judge from.. the ebc greens are scoring the hell out of his rotors and heat checking them , i can compare those characteristics to my supra setup and they were doing the same ..

the ebc redstuff ceramics are now made with a soecial resin on top the accerlate the bed process 100% in fact my pads have bedded already for i have a even deposit of pad material around the circum of the rotor which kinda looks like a vinyl record which indicates a proper bed in

i have zero dust no fade no heat checking no scoring and the are much quieter coming to a stop vs the greens were

i have no exp with akebonos , nor axxis nor hawk but from the rsearch i do for the european and japanese forums the ebc red ceramics are becoming the talk of the town

i will be going with a set of mintex pads soon when i swap out the fronts for the ls430 front setup to finish my brakes (no more rotoras for me , found out some bad stuff about the co)
Old 05-10-05, 05:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i have akebono pro-act ceramics on my 98 gs4 with stock rotors. these pads emit no dust whatsover and out performs stock. little to no fade. Mind you, Il live in nyc where brakes are constantly applied
Old 05-10-05, 05:54 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexforlife
dave let me expand on this if i may

my brother in law has a 99 gs 400 silver which last year i did a 4 wheels oem upgrade to

powerslot front and rears rotors stainless steel lines and ebc greenstuff pads so i have a clear ref point to judge from.. the ebc greens are scoring the hell out of his rotors and heat checking them , i can compare those characteristics to my supra setup and they were doing the same ..

the ebc redstuff ceramics are now made with a soecial resin on top the accerlate the bed process 100% in fact my pads have bedded already for i have a even deposit of pad material around the circum of the rotor which kinda looks like a vinyl record which indicates a proper bed in

i have zero dust no fade no heat checking no scoring and the are much quieter coming to a stop vs the greens were

i have no exp with akebonos , nor axxis nor hawk but from the rsearch i do for the european and japanese forums the ebc red ceramics are becoming the talk of the town

i will be going with a set of mintex pads soon when i swap out the fronts for the ls430 front setup to finish my brakes (no more rotoras for me , found out some bad stuff about the co)
Well dont leave us hanging, whats the deal, are they using child slaves to paint the calipers or what?
Old 05-10-05, 09:47 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by morris
Well dont leave us hanging, whats the deal, are they using child slaves to paint the calipers or what?
That is too funny!
Old 05-10-05, 10:35 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

morris you lost me on this one , please clue me in
Old 05-10-05, 10:39 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

oh i now get it about the rotoras, if that was what you reff to i am not at liberty to post in public for i dont want slight anyone here

Old 05-10-05, 10:50 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Yes it was about the Rotora, no problem I understand
Old 05-10-05, 12:03 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

so that would make them NO different than every other popular/successful corporation in america today including but not limited to Rocawear, Sean John, Tommy Hilfiger, Kathy Lee Gifford.....
Old 05-10-05, 12:15 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think shftup asked for facts not rumors.. I think it makes sense to speak about what our experinace is with what we actually own and not something we have never owned or used for what ever reasons..

I've had axis ultimate pads before and the brake dust was pretty bad up front....I now have H2 Ceramic race pads on the big boys and they have given me very little dust as opposed to the axis so far. These are the only two type of pads I have ever used so i'll speak on these
Old 05-31-05, 10:03 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelex
I've had axis ultimate pads before and the brake dust was pretty bad up front....
Im assuming these where on you BBK not OEMs, correct?

slickgt1 - did you have these on a OEM setup and where they up front

thanks
Old 05-31-05, 03:07 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope I had Axis ultimates everywhere. Front and rear. By far my favorite.

Also, don't buy these off of ebay, i talked to Jim at cobalt friction, and he said that he fights with ebay once a week to make sure they remove the crap that is sold there. People sell rebadged pads, like metalmasters and whatnot, and selling them as if they are ultimates.
Old 05-31-05, 05:12 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaMsGS3
Im assuming these where on you BBK not OEMs, correct?
I had the axis ultimates on the oem not the bbk's lots of brake dust up front for me than..
Old 06-01-05, 07:34 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Seriously I don't understand why. I can take pictures of my dirty-a$$ car, and you can see that the fronts are slightly darker than the rears. Very light difference. I also drive pretty aggresively, stop and go BS of NYC.

My axis metalmasters were dusting like crazy before.

Basically I don't know how to compare, maybe you drive much much harder than I do. Or I just wash the car too often to show a difference. I was the car about once a week.

Quick Reply: The Best - Dust Less Brakes Pads for Stock Rotors