Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tramlining problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05 | 01:00 PM
JCSOTW
Rookie

Just the answer I needed! I was just going to ask about the ball joints and when they usually go out. I'll just go to a local shop tomorrow and get the car in the air and have the mechanic check out the ball joints as well as the motor/tranny mounts. Of course I wouldn't take my car to the Lexus dealer, especially just to look around...

Thank you Mr. Rob

-D-
Old 05-12-05 | 08:54 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Bushings and Mounts

Originally Posted by JCSOTW
Just the answer I needed! I was just going to ask about the ball joints and when they usually go out. I'll just go to a local shop tomorrow and get the car in the air and have the mechanic check out the ball joints as well as the motor/tranny mounts. Of course I wouldn't take my car to the Lexus dealer, especially just to look around...

Thank you Mr. Rob

-D-
I purchased my 93 SC 400 with 96,000 Miles on it.
The things that needed replacing at that time were both Motor mounts, the left mount was completely gone and the right was well on it's way to seperating.

Trans mount was totally seperated.

All front bushings were gone both lower and upper.

Lower bushing on the rear were both gone.

Uppers in rear were OK but I replaced them anyway.

Ball joints were still good.

Steering arm bushings were totally gone as well, they looked OK visually but upon removal they were totally shot, the rubber had gone soft and mushy .

The motor mounts are really hard to inspect and visually mine looked OK but upon removal the left mount was totally torn in half and was not supporting the motor, the right was well on its way to total seperation as well. If you have more than 100,000 miles on the car I would venture to guess they are probably both completely gone.

You need to replace motor mounts in pairs.

The car was driven by an Engineer Executive here in Vancouver, Canada, so was not driven hard at all.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Old 05-13-05 | 08:49 AM
JCSOTW
Rookie

Not driven hard at all by an exec and the bushings were still that bad??? Now I know that the bushings and mounts all need to be thoroughly inspected after removing them! That really helps a lot since I'm assuming people go by visual inspection sometimes. You're saving me a ton of time and effort w/ this info because everything is getting pulled now. Seems like I'll be contacting Mr. Vlamos again! BTW, do you remember how much your tranny/motor mounts were?

Thanks,

Derek
Old 05-13-05 | 02:19 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Not driven hard at all by an exec and the bushings were still that bad??? Now I know that the bushings and mounts all need to be thoroughly inspected after removing them! That really helps a lot since I'm assuming people go by visual inspection sometimes. You're saving me a ton of time and effort w/ this info because everything is getting pulled now. Seems like I'll be contacting Mr. Vlamos again! BTW, do you remember how much your tranny/motor mounts were?

Thanks,

Derek
Derek
I am up in Vancouver, Canada but found the prices at Carson Toyota in California were the best around.
Contact Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota.
They advertise on this forum and Steve is an active member of this forum.
-Steve Ganz
-CarsonToyota/Scion/Lexus Parts
-www.l-tunedparts.com
-www.newtoyotaparts.com
-www.newscionparts.com
-1-800-908-6968

If you are going to be doing the steering arm bushings from Vlamos you should order the Toyota centre steering bushing from Carson and replace it as well.
Steve should know the part if not ask him to go back into my file and find the one I ordered from him.
Rob Keeling
Vancouver, Canada
Old 05-13-05 | 02:53 PM
JCSOTW
Rookie

Just called Carson Toyota and it looks like Steve will be out for the next month or so. Should I just order from the parts dept or contact someone else there? Will the parts dept give me the same price as Steve would?

Thanks
Old 05-13-05 | 03:39 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Lexus Parts

Just called Carson Toyota and it looks like Steve will be out for the next month or so. Should I just order from the parts dept or contact someone else there? Will the parts dept give me the same price as Steve would?

Thanks
Derek
Anyone in the parts Dept should be able to help you.
Just mention you are a ClubLexus member and you want their best prices.
They should be able to look up my file and find the centre rubber steering mount I ordered from them.
I ordered it at the same time I ordered my engine and trans mounts.

Vlamos sells the 2 rubber steering bushings that Toyota does not have a parts # for but there is a rubber bushing for the steering gear that Toyota has and you should replace it at the same time you replace the steering bushings you order from Vlamos.

I can't wait till you get all this done.
Your car will feel like new, in fact mine drove better than an ES 300 I got for a loner 1 day from the Lexus Dealer here.

You will be amazed.

You also might want to order the special tool that Vlamos sells for the bushing replacement.
It is worth the price he charges as it saves loads of time when you go to press in your replacement bushings.

I have heard that Carson Toyota may be selling the Vlamos Bushings.
I believe that Carson Toyota may have the exclusive rights to sell the Vlamos Bushings in USA.
Might want to ask the parts guys at Carson about this.
Could save you some delivery time and the outrageous cost of shipping from Australia.

Rob

Last edited by setwire; 05-13-05 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-13-05 | 05:15 PM
JCSOTW
Rookie

I just ordered the 3rd steering rack bushing (rack grommit bush) from Carson Toyota. $25+tax and it should be coming in on Tues. or Wed.. I'm taking the car to a local mechanic tomorrow to check out the ball joints then I'll make my decision on VFT LCA bushings or Supra arms. I hope the ball joints are still ok so I won't have to wait to save for the Supra arms. At least the steering bushings will make a pretty noticeable improvement I'm sure. Feeling pretty confident this car will be as smooth as you claim Rob!

Thanks for all the info,

Derek
Old 05-14-05 | 12:31 AM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

Default part #?

"JCSOTW I just ordered the 3rd steering rack bushing (rack grommit bush) from Carson Toyota. $25+tax "

What was the part # for the third steering rack bushing by the way?
Old 05-16-05 | 08:47 AM
JCSOTW
Rookie

Default part #

sorry, I didn't get the part # but I believe they have it listed in the computer as "steering rack grommit bush" or something to that effect. The guy in the parts dept described it as "D" shaped and not cylindrical like the 2 other bushings.
Old 05-16-05 | 10:13 AM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Steering Bushing Parts #

sorry, I didn't get the part # but I believe they have it listed in the computer as "steering rack grommit bush" or something to that effect. The guy in the parts dept described it as "D" shaped and not cylindrical like the 2 other bushings.
The parts number for the above 'D" shaped rubber bushing is Parts # 45516.

Rob
Old 05-16-05 | 11:34 AM
JCSOTW
Rookie

Thanks Rob, I'm actually going today to the shop and get the car in the air to check out the ball joints. After that I'll be able to make a decision on the LCAs if it's going to be Supras or the VFT bushings. I'm still going to invest in the front upper and rear upper and lowers also from VFT in order to get that silky Lexus ride back.

Derek
Old 05-16-05 | 09:34 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Control Arms

Thanks Rob, I'm actually going today to the shop and get the car in the air to check out the ball joints. After that I'll be able to make a decision on the LCAs if it's going to be Supras or the VFT bushings. I'm still going to invest in the front upper and rear upper and lowers also from VFT in order to get that silky Lexus ride back.

Derek
Derek
There are Factory new Lexus SC 400 Left and Right Lower Control arms available on Ebay for $379 each.
A good price if your ball joints are knackered.

Rob
Old 05-16-05 | 10:11 PM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by setwire
Derek
There are Factory new Lexus SC 400 Left and Right Lower Control arms available on Ebay for $379 each.
A good price if your ball joints are knackered.

Rob
Ouch, that's a pretty big price tag, the supra LCA's are considerabley less than that, they're practically the same. Some say they have a lil bit harsher ride but I think it's neglegent.
Old 05-18-05 | 07:32 AM
JCSOTW
Rookie

Had the ball joints checked out and they're fine so it looks like it's gonna be just the lca bushings from Vlamos. Now I'll have to see if funds will permit me getting the uppers and rears also.

Derek
Old 05-18-05 | 10:32 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spitfire86
Ouch, that's a pretty big price tag, the supra LCA's are considerabley less than that, they're practically the same. Some say they have a lil bit harsher ride but I think it's neglegent.
it IS negligent, and at $210 per arm it's considerably cheaper than it's Lexus counterpart.

Quick Reply: Tramlining problem