Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tramlining problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-05, 02:19 PM
JCSOTW
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tramlining problem

I've got a '92 SC400 w/ 100k and it tramlines like crazy. The LCA and steering rack bushings checked out fine w/ no visible wear this past Saturday, no uneven or camber wear on tires, all suspension bolts are tight. I don't know what else the problem could be, can someone shed some light on this issue? I need to get this fixed asap because the ride's not very enjoyable when you have to fight w/ every imperfection in the road. Any help is greatly appreciated!
BTW the rims are 17" GS400s on 245/45/17.....are the tires too big?

TIA,

-D-
Old 05-10-05, 05:39 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

maybe check the tire pressure, and check out an alignment? some toe in can get rid of that i believe.
Old 05-10-05, 06:50 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you take the lower control arms apart? There's another post out there that mentions you can't really see if your bushings are shot unless you disassemble the LCAs.
Old 05-10-05, 08:49 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCSOTW
<... snip! ...>
BTW the rims are 17" GS400s on 245/45/17.....are the tires too big?

TIA,

-D-
The tire size is fine, but do you know what the offsets of the wheels are? If the offset is much less than 40, it could cause tramlining. The stock offset is 50 fo an SC. I have no idea what it is for the GS...
Old 05-10-05, 09:42 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The offset for the GS is also 50. I agree, too much deviation from this will cause tramlining.
Old 05-10-05, 11:27 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

you guys are too funny.
Old 05-11-05, 12:22 AM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Tramlining

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Did you take the lower control arms apart? There's another post out there that mentions you can't really see if your bushings are shot unless you disassemble the LCAs.
Perry
I would say your call is right on the money.
I won a bet with my mechanic when I ordered all the Control Arm bushing front and rear, upper and lower and the steering arm bushings from Vlamos in Aus.

He bet me $100 that the bushing in my car were fine.

I of course won the bet hands down as all the bushing were on their last legs.
especially the steering bushings.

The bushing may look fine when inspected but if you have 100,000 miles on a 92 SC your bushing are guaranteed on their last legs.

You might want to have a close look at your engine mounts and transmission mount as well, odds are they are also a problem.

Rob
Old 05-11-05, 09:12 AM
JCSOTW
Rookie

I'm gonna need to check the previous owner's receipts because I think there was a bushing replacement a while back. I forgot about that and should have checked that first but if the LCAs haven't been replaced yet then I'll have them disassembled. If they are shot then I'll just order the OEM Lexus bushings because I want to keep the Lexus ride. Does anyone recommend getting the Supra LCAs since they have the ball joint? Thanks for all the help and info!
Old 05-11-05, 03:58 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Does anyone recommend getting the Supra LCAs since they have the ball joint? Thanks for all the help and info!
Derek, we had a long discussion on this very topic. Do a search and you should find it. I was going to post it here but links time-out now so I couldn't. If you need help finding the thread let me know.
Old 05-11-05, 04:44 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I wouldn't waste my time, or $ on improving control arms with 100k on them, the balljoints will be on their way out. The Supra parts are what should have been in there in the first place IMO.
You can fix the tramlining like Audi2nr mentioned by adding some toe-in, but keep in mind this would be a temporary fix. An 1/8" totall toe-in setting, in front helped the tramlining on my car until I could get the parts to correct the real problem.
Old 05-11-05, 05:32 PM
JCSOTW
Rookie

looks like I'll have to save up for the Supra arms and adjust the toe setting. Can I just go to any alignment shop and ask for a 1/8" setting? Any recommended shops in the South Bay or Long Beach areas?

Thanks for all the help guys ,

-D-
Old 05-11-05, 06:21 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

ya any shop with an alignment rack should be able to adjust toe, its pretty easy.
Old 05-11-05, 07:24 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Arms and bushings

looks like I'll have to save up for the Supra arms and adjust the toe setting. Can I just go to any alignment shop and ask for a 1/8" setting? Any recommended shops in the South Bay or Long Beach areas?

Thanks for all the help guys ,

-D-
You might want to do some reading here.

http://planetsoarer.com/bushes/bushupdate.htm

http://planetsoarer.com/steeringrack/rack.htm

http://planetsoarer.com/bushes/bushes.htm

I ordered all of these and the difference in the ride and handling is unbelievable like a new car off the showroom floor..

Rob

Rob
Old 05-12-05, 09:38 AM
JCSOTW
Rookie

Thanks for the links Rob! I admit I only glanced through Peter's site before, but it looks like I still have some researching on the car to do. I guess I should have the steering rack bushings replaced anyways since I still have them. The Supra LCAs are a whole lot more than just the bushings, so I'm still not sure about which to get.

Thanks again

-D-
Old 05-12-05, 11:05 AM
setwire
Pole Position

Default LCA Bushing

Thanks for the links Rob! I admit I only glanced through Peter's site before, but it looks like I still have some researching on the car to do. I guess I should have the steering rack bushings replaced anyways since I still have them. The Supra LCAs are a whole lot more than just the bushings, so I'm still not sure about which to get.

Thanks again

-D-
The determining factor for replacing the LCA Bushings is the condition of your ball joints.
If they are in decent condition then replacing your LCA Bushings with Vlamos Bushings is the way to go.
If the ball joints are on their last legs then replacing the control arms is the way to go and then just replace all other bushings front and rear with Vlamos Bushings.

A good inspection of your motor mounts and trans mount would also be a good thing to do.
The motor mounts usually need replacing at 100,000 Miles as well as the trans mount.

Get the car on a hoist and check all this stuff out.

It is easiest and cheapest to do all of the above at the same time.

Any good mechanic with a bearing press can do all of this. No need to get it done at a Lexus Stealership.

Rob

Quick Reply: Tramlining problem