Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

jic sc4/3 tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 05:59 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump... jic inner tie rods longer than stock?
Old 07-29-08, 05:30 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any input on megan tie rods?
Old 07-29-08, 07:05 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well since no one opted to tell me whether or not the jic tie rods were longer than stock, i ended up skipping the jic all together and got the megan tie rod ends. i needed something longer than oem since i had maxed out my ikeya control arms and the tie rod inner/outer was on borderline safety of only have 3-4 turns holding them together. if anyone else needs to know, the megan tie rods are longer than stock by an inch.
Old 07-29-08, 07:09 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

does megan make inner and outer or just outer. what are the advantages of having a longer tie rod?
Old 07-30-08, 05:43 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the outer tie rod end can help with the bump steer issue because it will make the steering link sit more even with the ground. to have a proper non-bumpsteerings car the rack rods have to be even with the ground. like at a 0* position. when you slam your car the link gets tilted upwards and is more liek a 10-15* position. this changes suspension geometry and causes arc of the suspension to be different then the tie rod arc as stated previously.

with an aftermarket link the big bolt that goes into the spindle is longer and makes the link sit even or more even with the ground. for some cars the tie rod link can be shimmed with washers. that way if you have the tool to measure bump steer to can shim the link to eliminate it.

its a cover up solution in a way. rack relocation is the right way to go. after doing rack bushing a few times and machining my own i dont think that making new brackets to relocate the rack would be that difficult. it would be time consuming to make the first set but not very hard if you have access to a machine shop or a welder
Old 09-08-08, 09:56 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexAnt
well since no one opted to tell me whether or not the jic tie rods were longer than stock, i ended up skipping the jic all together and got the megan tie rod ends. i needed something longer than oem since i had maxed out my ikeya control arms and the tie rod inner/outer was on borderline safety of only have 3-4 turns holding them together. if anyone else needs to know, the megan tie rods are longer than stock by an inch.
the megan tie rods ends that you purchased, are these the supra specific ones? If so, i take it they fit. Which is perfect. I was wondering if they did...
Old 09-08-08, 12:47 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

supra and sc tie rods are the same.

rule of thumb: 90% of the supra suspension components are interchangeable with the SC. if not sure call toyota dealer and ask for supra PN and then call lexus for same. if its the same PN it would be the same PN...most of the time.
Old 10-16-08, 12:17 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

update: purchased the supra megan tie rods and they are very nice. Install was easy.. adjustment wasn't so difficult however I am getting major tramlining ever since I installed these.

I put the car on a lift and noticed when the tire is moved slightly, the rod where the bolt on the top and bottom go, has a bit of play. I feel that the amount of play shouldn't give me so much tramlining.

Would using these tie rods place stress on other components, like sway bar bushings??

To the OP: sorry to jack the thread. Figured would keep it going to make searching easier for others...
Old 10-16-08, 02:10 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sc250tt
i learnt my lesson cutting my springs messed up my camber ,toe and bushings. the sc's wasent made to be slammed .too bad i had to learn the hard way
i am learning that mistake right now LoL but i got new springs and will be putting them on this weekend..... Also does JiC make outter tie rods bcuz those are the ones i need but i am not sure if everyone is talking about the same ones ??