Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

jic sc4/3 tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05, 10:17 PM
ant1k
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default jic sc4/3 tie rods

has anyone tried these?? http://www.jic-magic.com/productsjic_armrod.htm
Old 05-11-05, 11:08 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set on my SC4. What would you like to know about them?
Old 05-11-05, 11:20 PM
ant1k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by P.Williams
I have a set on my SC4. What would you like to know about them?
yes as a matter of fact i would - thanks
Old 05-11-05, 11:46 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ant1k
yes as a matter of fact i would - thanks
Ummm...okay, I'm lost. What was your question about the tie-rods? Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I'll answer any questions you have about them, but I'm not sure what it is you'd like to know. They're heavier and stronger than stock. The pivot point is moved outward slightly, which helps a bit with bumpsteer on cars with lowered suspensions, upper camber adjustment, and wider tires. The base of the JIC rods is kind of stepped. It's telescoping I guess you could say. You remove the washers that are fitted between the tie-rods and steering rack With these washers removed, the JIC base design allow it to draw into the rack a little when the wheel is turned to full lock. So, your turning circle is reduced slightly. Lastly, they're easy to install. You can do it yourself with simple tools in less than an hour. However, unless you have a way to measure toe, you''ll have to have your car aligned. I have no complaints about them, they work as advertised.
Okay, I think that's about all to be said about the JIC tie-rods. Unless your old ones are in need of replacement, or your suspension has been highly modified and you're looking to combat bumpsteer/tracking issues, I would spend the $200 on something else.

Last edited by P.Williams; 05-12-05 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-12-05, 12:08 AM
ant1k
Lead Lap

that prettty much answered of my questions thanks for your input man
Old 05-12-05, 06:17 PM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

I'll ask a question, did the ride change?
Old 05-12-05, 09:41 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Splatsc300
I'll ask a question, did the ride change?
No, not really. There was no real effect on ride quality. I have my car dropped close to 2" on Tein coilovers, and have the Daizen camber correction. So, my modified suspension geometry was causing some bumpsteer (much wider rims/tires/offset didn't help any). The JIC rods helped a bit, but didn't eliminate it completely.
Old 05-13-05, 06:07 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

I fail to see how those alone can resolve or help with "bump"suspension concerns. Manufacturer only claim that parts are made "stronger" than factory, this is the possible gain if any.

Tie rods are part of steering rack and as such have not much to do with suspension geometry of rack and pinion setup. As long as those allow for placing the toe into green after mods they are OK.
With modified suspension with bump steer issiues in regard of steering rack I would rather look for proper placement or the steering rack itself in relation to the rest of the suspension, not the tie rods itself. Not much to gain there....
Old 05-13-05, 01:25 PM
P.Williams
Pit Crew

Yes, EUROJulian these tie-rods will by no means eliminate bumpsteer on their own. If the car has been lowered, and a camber kit has been applied to the upper arms thereby 'lengthening' them, you've created a new suspension arc. You can align the car and adjust the toe to green, but this is while the car is at rest. The tie-rod is moving within a different arc in comparison to the upper and lower a-arms. The only improvement that aftermarket tie-rods such as these can really offer, is if your stock rods are bending at the point where those two arcs are conflicting.. These stronger rods will resist that bending, but obviously this isn't a proper cure....and it's effect is minimal. Some manufacturers such as Stillen will claim that their tie-rods cure bumpsteer (Stillen also claims that their rear sway bars are 5-way adjustable by staggering the setting between the left and right sides...which is going to pre-load one side of the suspension). There's no way a set of tie-rods will fix the problem, and yes, the placement of the rack would have to be moved to actually cure the problem. Moving the rack up to work within the new arc is the only real cure I can think of. Other than that, you're only really making changes which will have a slight effect on helping to hide the problem.

Last edited by P.Williams; 05-13-05 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-13-05, 04:52 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

I`m glad that we do agree P.Wiliams. I appreciate your input to this board.
Old 05-15-05, 02:32 PM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

you have pretty pics of them on your car?
Old 05-24-05, 09:02 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

P. Williams is wellinformed on suspension!

Relocating the rack is a possibility, and another solution would be in modification of the tie rod ends. For other cars, many aftermarket tie rod ends allow them to be shimmed to a proper height so that the tie rods sit in a more natural state in relation to the rack. I haven't looked too hard into tie rod end options on the SC, or even the assembly on my own SC, so this may be a moot point.

Here's a picture of a typical adjustable aftermarket tie rod end

I wish more people would understand the changes that occur in their suspension geometry when they slam their car. So many things get thrown off, especially if they improperly set height adjustable coilover suspensions. They can wind up with a car that handles worse than stock =P
Old 09-19-06, 05:35 AM
Grier
Driver School Candidate

Never lower your car...get bigger rims!
Old 09-19-06, 07:44 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

i learnt my lesson cutting my springs messed up my camber ,toe and bushings. the sc's wasent made to be slammed .too bad i had to learn the hard way
Old 01-23-08, 01:51 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got a question for the one with the JIC tie rods... are they the inner or outer? the pics look like to be the inner, in any case, are they longer than stock?

Quick Reply: jic sc4/3 tie rods