Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Weird loose cracking sound and feel in the steering whel when i go over certain bumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 05:19 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I Finally Got Rid Of The "clunk"

Unbelieveable as it seems, the "CLUNK" is finally GONE. I've spent enough money lately. I did the Upper ball joints and arms, Lower ball joints, & Tie Rod Ends. I still had the clunk. Then I re-did the front brakes with pads and the FIT kit from Lexus. STILL had the clunk.

I took it to the alignment shop and trhey recomended the LOWER STABILIZER bushings..($147.00 each....set me back $315.00). After I installed them, I STILL had the clunk JUST when driving over driveways (when WARM, not cold), or making a panic stop going front and then backwards.

Today, I went back to the alignment shop, and the owner stated that he had another GS like mine the friday before, and they fixed it by tightening EVERY bolt in the front end. Since it was slow this morning, he had a mechanic tighten every bolt/nut on the front end underneath....VOILA, it fixed it.

He explained that the front end is on a SUBFRAME. This subframe bolts to the chassis, and over time the bolts loosen, causing the subframe to move slightly back and forth as directions are changed and brakes applied. The mech tightened for 1/2 hour. They would not let me under the car while working, but he said that he tightened the sway bar bolts, stabilizer bolts, strut bolts, lower "A" frame bolts, rack and pinion bolts, and upper strut bolts BY HAND. No impacts. I was amazed at how smooth the car drives now.

I think I will check the bolts on a regular basis. I have been under that car SO many times lately, but missed this. I felt that it HAD to be a PART. I was down to the lower "A frame" bushings and the upper shock mounts. I was literally grabbing at straws. It detracted so much from the enjoyment of the car.

THE FUN IS BACK. Even in a panic stop, all I feel is the brakes grabbing.

What a lesson this has been. For those who have changed everything else like I did, give this a try. I wish you luck!

Last edited by gserep1; 11-20-06 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-02-07, 06:12 PM
manalive20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am reviving this thread...loose steering wheel in park.

Give me one good reason if I have done all of the above things I still have the exact same loose steering as described previously in this thread on my 2001 GS430? (83k miles)

WHY SHOULDN'T I HAVE MY STEERING RACK REPLACED????

It seems like the only thing left that hasn't been replaced, tweaked, tightened or aligned on my front end.

Question:
What should I check to see if my steering rack should or shouldn't be replaced? Are there any "tests" to check the rack itself?

Please help!!!!
Old 04-03-07, 08:25 AM
manalive20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any gurus that would like to tackle this???

I guess no one wants to provide any ideas for this reknown steering problem.