Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

URGENT: Help Needed - Brake Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05 | 11:52 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Default URGENT: Help Needed - Brake Noise.

CL,

I just got back from the shop after getting my rotors installed and brake pads replaced. The pads are Axxis/PBR Semi-Metal and the rotors are zinc coated, drilled/slotted.

When I'm driving there is a rubbing metal sound. When I brake the sound isn't there. They told me that the pads are too metallic and that I need soft pads with drilled /slotted rotors. The noise is ridiculous. You can clearly hear something metallic rubbing on metal. I did the homework here on CL and found that the AXXIS/PBR brakes were the way to go.

The mechanic told me to wait a couple of days and see if it goes away but if there is a problem, I want to address it now.

Also, the wear on three of the four pads is even across the rotor but on the one that I think the noise is coming from, the wear is uneven. More on the center of the rotor, less on the outer edge.

Please help!

Thanks CL.

Bad typos corrected.

Last edited by TwentyTen; 05-20-05 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Bad typos - hurried typing.
Old 05-20-05 | 12:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Darius I don't have an answer for you, but might be helpful to have a couple other pieces of info.

1) did you get new rotors too?
2) did they do any other work with your calipers other than put on the new pads?
3) is the problem in the front or the rear?
Old 05-20-05 | 12:11 PM
Neo
The One

What is the name of the Axxis pad you got?
Old 05-20-05 | 12:19 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neo
What is the name of the Axxis pad you got?
I think the name is PBR Semi Meta?

I'll find out.

Dave: The rotors are brand new and only the pads and rotors were changed.

Thanks Guys!
Old 05-20-05 | 12:28 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

The auction says Metal Master but the box says semimetallic:

Here is the auction where I bought them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
Old 05-20-05 | 12:36 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by Darius2010
The auction says Metal Master but the box says semimetallic:

Here is the auction where I bought them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
Hmm. The MMs are what I was planning to try next. redgs4 and bitkahuna has these and they seem to be fine for them. They have not mentioned any noise.

It is curious though that you hear the noise while drving and not braking. If the surfaces are not touching, what would pad material have to do with noise? Did John install these?
Old 05-20-05 | 12:41 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neo
Hmm. The MMs are what I was planning to try next. redgs4 and bitkahuna has these and they seem to be fine for them. They have not mentioned any noise.

It is curious though that you hear the noise while drving and not braking. If the surfaces are not touching, what would pad material have to do with noise? Did John install these?

No, I had them installed at a shop that's about 1/4 mile away from my house but the guys has good referals.

I am thinking that the pads are too close to the rotors and they're constantly rubbing. Would thi make that metal on metal sound? Could the caliper not be placed correctly after replacing the rotor?

Oh yea, the problem is in the Rear, passenger's side.

Thanks Again!
Old 05-20-05 | 01:02 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darius2010

Oh yea, the problem is in the Rear, passenger's side.

Thanks Again!
I'd ask them to remove that wheel and double check that brake. if you're noticing that rotor is not looking the same as others, AND sound is from that brake, I would think that something may not be assembled right in there.
Old 05-20-05 | 01:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

did they do any hard braking to bed the pads on to the rotors? wonder if that affects anything too
Old 05-20-05 | 02:48 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

It may be a combination of a couple of things. First, that particular pad may have something sticking up on it, could be a metal shard, etc. I would take the pads out on that caliper and inspect, if necessary file or sand the surface just a bit. They usually do need time to wear in a bit, like a week. Sometimes the metal in the pad springs up when the pad surface just starts to wear. Second, the rear stock calipers are nothing like the fronts, the pads ride on a pin, and they're very susceptible to binding if not properly lubricated. If the pad is binding it won't release completely, and you'll have a grinding/growling/scraping noise while driving, but when you apply brake pressure, it goes away. I use anti-seize compound on the pins, not too much, but works like a charm, haven't had any binding since I started using it. Careful not to get ANY on the pads. You could also use brake caliper grease.
Could also be that the spring clip (above the pads) is not seated properly for that rear caliper.
Old 05-20-05 | 06:24 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks again everyone.

I just got back from driving and it isn't as strong as earlier but still present, especially after hard braking.

When I took it back to the shop they removed the rear pads and thats when they told me that metal pads are too harsh for D/S rotors and they let me feel the difference between my pads and factory pads which were much smoother. Similar to freshly laid asphault and old asphault where one is chumky and the other is smooth.

What is caliper grease?

//Darius
Old 05-21-05 | 01:36 AM
RRocket
Instructor

Darius,

Calm down... I bought the exact same brake pad/rotor set as you, from the same person. I also notice a horrible grinding sound. It was a combination of the zinc plating being worn off by the unseated/fresh pads. It went away after about a week for me. Brake stop fine now with no grind. I believe it will go away for you too...~R
Old 05-21-05 | 10:59 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RRocket
Darius,

Calm down... I bought the exact same brake pad/rotor set as you, from the same person. I also notice a horrible grinding sound. It was a combination of the zinc plating being worn off by the unseated/fresh pads. It went away after about a week for me. Brake stop fine now with no grind. I believe it will go away for you too...~R
Whew!!!

Thanks Rocket! I'll update you all in a week!
Old 05-21-05 | 02:36 PM
Neo
The One

There have been different opinions on brake bedding for new brake components. Most OEM guys go the "take it easy at the beginning" method while the aftermarket/BBK guys perform a more aggressive bedding process. Although you have OEM size, it is still more aggressive aftermartket components. This bit of reading may help.

http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq7.html

which contains a link to this

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedincontents.htm
Old 05-21-05 | 11:02 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neo
There have been different opinions on brake bedding for new brake components. Most OEM guys go the "take it easy at the beginning" method while the aftermarket/BBK guys perform a more aggressive bedding process. Although you have OEM size, it is still more aggressive aftermartket components. This bit of reading may help.

http://www.stoptech.com/faq/data/faq7.html

which contains a link to this

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedincontents.htm
Thanks Neo! After a fast and winding drive down to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk today the brakes are no longer making sounds and the wear pattern in even. Thanks to everyone who chimed in to teach/help me!

Here is the content of the first link submitted by Neo for the next person that has this problem/question:
Why is the pad and rotor break-in procedure so important?

PROPER BREAK-IN OF ROTORS AND PADS IS CRITICAL. Not properly doing so can cause permanent damage to rotors and adversely effect overall brake performance. Pads and rotors interact with each other to provide efficient brake performance. The break-in or bed-in procedure is done to condition the pad/rotor interface. Depending on the pad used, more or less pad material is uniformly transferred onto the disc as a thin film. The resins and bonding agents in some pads need to be heat cycled to work properly as well. By not properly bedding in pads, uneven pad material deposits can occur that may cause a vibration. Improper wear characteristics may also show up on either the pads, or rotors, or both. Always follow the recommended break-in procedure for any pads, rotors or brake systems. This link is to the Technical page of our website. The article titled The "Warped" Brake Disc and other Myths of the Braking System has more details about the effect of the pad and rotor together: http://www.stoptech.com/technical/.
//Darius

Quick Reply: URGENT: Help Needed - Brake Noise.