Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Chassis brace, good idea for the money????

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-01, 06:21 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool,

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the help and advice. Now I just got to find someone to intalled them damn things. I hate the fact that I have to drive to LA to install all my mods because no one in San Diego can do the mods for Lexus (at least someone reputable.....)

TM Engineering has been mentioned a few time by some of the members here and as well as by Steve G. at Carson's Toyota. I think I will try TM Engineering first before I approach Longo Lexus. For some reason, Longo Lexus does not want to give me a price for installation only. I know for the fact that they do install mods for their customers especially the GS model. humm........

Do you guys have any good contact with their service consultants? If you do, please let me know who....

thanks

Kaju

Old 07-03-01, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts
Default Re: Going for it all...

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
I should get the L-Tuned suspension, sways and brace installed later this week or early next.
Peter - your car is gonna ROCK when it's done - trust me.
Old 07-04-01, 07:59 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

I echo David's post that the STB works with the LCB. Kaju, I didn't see the STB on your list. The STB should come before the LCB if you're budget limited, since the car already has a LCB, flimsy that it may be. The STB creates the "box" for trsional stiffness, leading to precise handling.
Old 07-04-01, 08:33 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Oh man,

You guys are killing me with all these great toys for my car. Wait...take that back, I think my wife is going to kill me for all the extra cost that I am going to put into my car.
I guess I will just have to put the STB in my list. The only reason why I did not include the STB is the problem of not being able to have the engine cover as well. The engine cover makes the car look clean when you open the hood. I know, I know...... I am pretty annal about keeping the car clean. After looking over Manaray's post, I think I can install the STB by myself. It is really pain in the *** for me to do anything to my car because I have to drive to LA to get them done. Oh well, I guess that's the price you paid by having a awesome car.

Kaju
Old 07-04-01, 09:12 AM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Kajukenbo
It is really pain in the *** for me to do anything to my car because I have to drive to LA to get them done.
Kaju
Kaju,

Contact Bruce Atwood, Service Director for Lexus Mission Viejo. Tell him Calvin from Redwood City sent you. I have known Bruce for a while, and I bought my car there, also.

I believe they do upgrade installations.

Good luck.
Old 07-04-01, 10:55 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KAJU,

Ahh, san diego, one of my favorite cities-i went to school in la jolla.

steve also gave me another source for install-only 10 minutes form my house(if you think TM is a bit far) . the name is speed pride engineering, and is not quite LA yet. both of these places do good jobs at reasonable prices. let me know thru PM box if you want more info.

if you want to go the dealer route, call longo(1800-92-longo) again and make sure you ask for Perry Roeder. i sent several members there, and he always quote us prices over the phone. just tell him William from diamond bar send you there, and he have to drive up from SD.

will
Old 07-26-01, 07:16 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up Finally getting installed

After having to wait for parts from Japan, a vacation and other problems my GS400 is currently in the shop getting the springs, shocks, sways and LCB installed. I'll give you all my impression late tonight or early tomorrow.

I can't wait!

Peter
Old 07-26-01, 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Finally getting installed

After having to wait for parts from Japan, a vacation and other problems my GS400 is currently in the shop getting the springs, shocks, sways and LCB installed. I'll give you all my impression late tonight or early tomorrow.

I can't wait!

Peter
I'm even excited for you, Peter! Probably cause I already know what the outcome is like!

Suggestion, take a 90 degree corner at about 25 without touching the brakes and try to wipe the grin off your face.
Old 07-26-01, 09:27 AM
Spartan
Driver

Cool Only 25?????

Bit...
When I stiffen my Teins and with only the steering ECU and strut brace I can take the car into a corner hard.
I mean like 35-40 MPH....
I dont have any definate numbers but I know its more than 25...
I am thinking it would be even better if I had the sways.....Again this is with like 15-16 clicks on my Teins...
They get stiff as hell when you want them too...
Thanks
MIKE
Old 07-26-01, 09:38 AM
Spartan
Driver

Cool Only 25?????

Bit...
When I stiffen my Teins and with only the steering ECU and strut brace I can take the car into a corner hard.
I am thinking it would be even better if I had the sways.....Again this is with like 15-16 clicks on my Teins...
Thanks
MIKE
Old 07-26-01, 10:51 AM
RacingAristo

Spartan,

How low do you drop your car? I also have the max clicks on the front with absolutely no tire gap. No more body roll and I can corner hard.

The only drawback, have to be really really careful when passing speed bumps.
Old 07-26-01, 02:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Only 25?????

Originally posted by Spartan
Bit...
Thanks
MIKE
Sure you can go faster, once you get used to it, but give him a chance, I meant right after he picks it up.

And yes, the sways will add to your handling.
Old 07-26-01, 04:32 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Cool Heh... Heh... Heh...

Initial impressions:

Ride is nice and smooth. I'm actually surprised at how little harshness there is. The back is lowered more than the front. The sways reduce body lean dramatically and the 25 mph corner test was no problem.

I'll have to get used to the setup before I can see how far I can push the car (4 wheel drifts etc...) but my initial impression is that this is an awesome addition to the car. I'll repeat what I said about the steering ecu: "They should all come this way".

Since this thread is about the LCB I can't comment on how much it alone affects the handling but after holding the old one I can imagine it does quite a bit.

BTW: What am I going to do with all the OEM parts I'm collecting?

Peter
Old 07-26-01, 05:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Heh... Heh... Heh...

... my initial impression is that this is an awesome addition to the car. I'll repeat what I said about the steering ecu: "They should all come this way".

... BTW: What am I going to do with all the OEM parts I'm collecting?
Congrats Peter - glad ya like it! As far as the steering ECU, I agree with you, but I'll tell ya the suspension upgrades also improve the steering substantially.

As far as the OEM parts, I know what that's like, my garage is full of 'em!

By the way, you might find my rear strut bar threads of interest. Cool piece!

Anyway, the ONLY drawback of getting all the handling mods is it's so much easier to go faster that I'm tempted to get the TRD brakes, but that's a good chunk of change.
Old 07-26-01, 09:08 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Bit,

I meant to imply that as I said about the steering ECU the suspension mods should also be part of the base package.

WRT rear strut braces: I'm not sure how much of a delta you really gain with them and I'm not sure I like the cosmetics with the fact that I'd have the bar across the trunk and have to remove the engine shroud. You've done a nice job with the install though (pics and all).

For me this is just phase 2 of a 5 phase plan for the car. Now I just need to figure out if I want to go with wheels or LSD/TC for phase 3. I need to wait for SRT for phase 5.

Peter

Quick Reply: Chassis brace, good idea for the money????