Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Chassis brace, good idea for the money????

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-01, 08:19 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey guys,

Is it worth it to get a TRD chassis brace, am I going to notice the difference? I do plan to intall the L-tuned shocks and springs as well as the TRD sway bars. However, I am just not quite sure if the TRD chassis brace is going to make that much difference......

By the way, Steve G. from Carson Toyota is definetly the way to go when purchasing L-tuned and TRD products. Excellent price and awesome customer service.

Thanks for all your input

Kaju
Old 06-22-01, 09:11 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K,

this is what i recommend. after you get the suspension and sways, drive the car for a while. if you still not satsfied, then get the chasis braces. i read that these 3 things would eliminate body roll 100%.

but hey, you might be satsfied w/no CB at all.

will
Old 06-25-01, 06:08 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Thanks, Will. I think I will just do that!
(Damn, all that years in college still did not do me any good )

Old 06-25-01, 08:25 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K,

it is OK....with all these GOOD stuff dangling in front of our faces, us big boys could easily get lost in the toy land.

good luck.

will
Old 06-27-01, 02:48 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

actually i dont think the chassis braces will reduce body roll at all. That is what your sway bars do. Your chasis brace just stiffens up your chassis. It would improve your turn-in and make you handle a little better
Old 07-01-01, 10:07 AM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Thanks, Black

I think I will do what Will had suggested. I will get my L-tuned suspension and TRD sway bars installed first then decide if I want the chassis brace.

Kaju
Old 07-01-01, 12:29 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Of course, more rigid chassis provides better platform for suspension to work, mods or no. Plus, at least in theory, less flexing/torqueing of unibody (what we really have, rather than body on frame) means less rattles/squeaks with time.
Old 07-02-01, 03:56 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, for the cheap entry price of the LCB, I would just get it especially since it does add to chassis stiffness...I mean is $165 gonna kill ya?

Last edited by Manaray; 07-02-01 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-02-01, 06:03 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

What I've not gotten a clear understanding of is whether there is a downside to the sways and the LCBs.

What, if any, is the trade off in ride comfort under normal local and highway driving?
Old 07-02-01, 07:02 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Marty, changing swaybars could affect cornering balance near or at limit, eg, increase/decrease understeer (most passenger cars tuned to understeer if pressed to limit.....some notable exceptions as always), by changing front and/or rear roll stiffness from original factory "calibrations". No reason for it to degrade ride comfort.

Chassis brace might do same to a much lesser degree; practically speaking, don't think it does anything obvious to our generally untrained and insensitive butts. Again, shouldn't affect ride comfort.

Actually, only way they should change ride comfort is to put 'em in the driver's seat and sit on 'em. Don't think I will, but let me not discourage the adventurous..........
Old 07-02-01, 08:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Can't see how LCB would change ride comfort at all, but I do think the sways do make it stiffer, so you'll feel highway bumps/seams more.
Old 07-02-01, 10:51 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Kaju:

The LCB is made to work in conjunction with the STB. I put the TRD sways and braces on at different times. The braces really stiffen the chassis making the steering more responsive and quicker. Even though I still had a little body roll, the car seemed to steer much quicker. But the ride was about the same.

When I added the sways, body roll was reduced so the car cornered very flat and precise. The ride stiffened with the sways and you could definitely feel more bumps in the road. I was running the stock Bridgestone 030's at the time, and the better handling chassis definitely magnified the shortcomings of the tire.

So if you're going for the STB, get the LCB too.
Old 07-03-01, 05:27 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys.

Really appreciate the 411.

I'm set to do the L-Tuned shocks, springs, ecu (is it really needed on a 430?) as soon as I can, but I'm still up in the air on the next suspension mod, if any.
But, damn, I almost forgot that all the good stuff is just going to magnify how bad the 030s are.

Perhaps I'll do the sways if the L-Tuned mods don't give me the cornering I want... Don't think STBs and LCBs are in the cards for my normal driving needs.

I guess I'll wait to figure it out until I at least have the car (currently scheduled for 7/10-15).
Old 07-03-01, 05:35 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys.

Really appreciate the 411.

I'm set to do the L-Tuned shocks, springs, ecu (is it really needed on a 430?) as soon as I can, but I'm still up in the air on the next suspension mod, if any.
But, damn, I almost forgot that all the good stuff is just going to magnify how bad the 030s are.

Perhaps I'll do the sways if the L-Tuned mods don't give me the cornering I want... Don't think STBs and LCBs are in the cards for my normal driving needs.

I guess I'll wait to figure it out until I at least have the car (currently scheduled for 7/10-15).
Old 07-03-01, 02:49 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Post Going for it all...

FWIW,

I should get the L-Tuned suspension, sways and brace installed later this week or early next. I figured for the extra $175 it was a good deal and it shouldn't hurt ride quality under normal circumstances. I've also had good experience with sub-frame connectors on my previous car so I believe this will be well worth the cost.

Peter

Quick Reply: Chassis brace, good idea for the money????