Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

has anyone tried the intrax sway bars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 10:35 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trd non adjustable. intrax & daizens are adjustable. all 3 sway bars have verrrrry similar dimensions , it just depends what color you want under your car .
Old 06-13-05, 02:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS_GS430
trd non adjustable. intrax & daizens are adjustable. all 3 sway bars have verrrrry similar dimensions , it just depends what color you want under your car .
hahhaa man, i wonder what kind of diffrence the color would make

and btw, when it comes to sways, 1mm could make a big difference already
Old 06-13-05, 05:16 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
hahhaa man, i wonder what kind of diffrence the color would make

and btw, when it comes to sways, 1mm could make a big difference already
1mm could make a big difference, but don't forget, it is not only the thickness of the sway, but also the design, and of coz, what kind of material they used...
Old 06-13-05, 07:50 AM
pavster
Driver

Hahaha. I am sure I will enjoy AutoXing with the stock set-up; I hope I can stay in my seat and not end up on the passenger side... I do think that the stock suspension has a lot in it. Just judging by some on/off ramps, I can go nearly as fast as in my heavily modded Miata, and I feel more in control actually; easy throttle steer; neutral handling; no drama. So I am really curious to see what I can do at the local BMW club AutoX.

-pavel.
Old 06-13-05, 10:29 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
Hahaha. I am sure I will enjoy AutoXing with the stock set-up; I hope I can stay in my seat and not end up on the passenger side... I do think that the stock suspension has a lot in it. Just judging by some on/off ramps, I can go nearly as fast as in my heavily modded Miata, and I feel more in control actually; easy throttle steer; neutral handling; no drama. So I am really curious to see what I can do at the local BMW club AutoX.

-pavel.
In my 2 seasons of SCCA auto cross experience, I'd say that a very good driver in a stock class Lexus will beat maybe 30 - 50% of the drivers with faster stock class cars.

I remember seeing a really good driver in a Taurus SHO go faster than my suspension modded Acura Integra. I also remember seeing a Nationally ranked driver in his street prepared Pinto 4 cyl., on occaision would be faster than almost all the stock class sports cars, such as vettes, z cars, Mustang GTs, etc.

This was usually on courses without long straights. In any case my point is, the driver plays a significant role in how fast a car will go.

I've seen way too many drivers with fast cars that were not capable of driving their cars to the fullest potential.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-13-05 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-14-05, 01:48 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm. Not many of us would claim that a stock GS handles better than anything else out there (the Queen Mary, a Yugo, or an Opel, maybe). Did you buy your car used? If you did, are you sure that you're running stock (black) sways?

JB

-pavel.
Old 06-15-05, 08:25 AM
pavster
Driver

Originally Posted by JellyBean
Hmmm. Not many of us would claim that a stock GS handles better than anything else out there (the Queen Mary, a Yugo, or an Opel, maybe). Did you buy your car used? If you did, are you sure that you're running stock (black) sways?

JB
It's not necessarily better, but it is very capable. Yes, it leans quite a bit, but it still grips, and when it lets go, it's very controllable, so I think the trick is to be smooth. I guess I'll find out for sure at the track. The BMW club runs a fairly spacious course, so it should be good. When I ran my Miata there I was faster than 95% of people. I am hoping to be in the top 50% with the Lex. Then will come the mods.

Yes, the car is definitely stock.

-pavel.
Old 06-15-05, 09:43 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Without suspension mods:

With suspension mods(including sways):

Old 06-15-05, 10:58 AM
pavster
Driver

Your passenger on the first pic must have been really heavy

That's a really dramatic difference. Did you time any laps? I wonder what the difference in lap times was.

-pavel.
Old 06-15-05, 11:13 AM
Neo
The One

That's a really dramatic difference. Did you time any laps? I wonder what the difference in lap times was.
I just wanted to show you the difference.

This is not me nor my car. It belongs to member QBranchCars. This is the thread the pics came from:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/49384-gs-at-thunderhill.html
Old 06-15-05, 04:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Your passenger on the first pic must have been really heavy

Looks like there's no passenger in the 2nd shot.

No doubt you'll have a blast at autocross either way. Looking forward to your write-up.
Old 06-18-05, 09:40 PM
pavster
Driver

Just wondering; what did these RMM Edition cars have for shocks/springs? I know everyone is loving Tein CS; I will most likely go that route when it's time, but I am curious to know what RMM thought would best compliment their sways.

thanks!
Old 06-18-05, 09:51 PM
Neo
The One

Just wondering; what did these RMM Edition cars have for shocks/springs?
They used the Tein RAs, not the current model but a previous/discontinued one. I believe they swapped out the Tein springs (that is part of the RA) though. I can't remember now what they swapped it out with. I'm sure RMMGS4 will come along soon to fill inthe blank.
Old 06-20-05, 01:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
They used the Tein RAs, not the current model but a previous/discontinued one. I believe they swapped out the Tein springs (that is part of the RA) though. I can't remember now what they swapped it out with. I'm sure RMMGS4 will come along soon to fill inthe blank.
they swapped out the tein springs with the intrax springs. so it's tein RA shocks with intrax springs
Old 06-27-05, 09:19 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
they swapped out the tein springs with the intrax springs. so it's tein RA shocks with intrax springs

I believe they only did this set up on my car, since they used it to test out new set ups.

This car has had about 5 different sets of wheels, 2 different coilovers, 2 different intakes and 2 different STBs. Can't say they didn't work to continously improve the set up

And that GS shown on the track is QBranchCar's. After he retired from tracking his car, I bought his AP Racing brakes.

Quick Reply: has anyone tried the intrax sway bars?