Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

about Supra brake swap:

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01, 03:17 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by JacobT
If you get the Supra brake set from Toyota, it comes with plan rotors. If you get it from RMM, it comes with 2 calipers, 2 slotted rotors, 4 pads and 2 steel lines. If you get it from TRD, it comes with blue podwer coated calipers with much higher cost

You can also order the calipers and steel lines from Carson Toyota and order a set of cross-drilled Brembo rotors for $260 plus order the TRD HP pads for $110. This is the best performance + cosmetics set I'd go for.
Jacob? Is your reference to the Brembo brakes meaning instead of going with the RMM? Or, would this be for the rears while using RMM up front? Will you elaborate on the Carson Toyota set-up you mentioned?
And oh yeah, I havent forgot about the Tex. meet.....just been really busy. I have been seeing more and more and more Texans on this board so it should be a good thing. Thanks, Tiny
Old 06-26-01, 04:40 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by BLiu

And to further answer your question...NO you cannot DIY the stock rotors with slots and/or cross-drill them...just in case you were wondering Mr. DIY-King...J/K

Brent

I GUESS i have to put aside my X-acto knife and my screwdriver then

So I guess the Supra TT kit from Steve is a good investment. Are those kits NEW? sounds like a stupid question.
Old 06-26-01, 04:52 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, I believe they are new...Give him a call...This is my next mod along with a TC...

Brent
Old 06-26-01, 04:54 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BLiu
Yup, I believe they are new...Give him a call...This is my next mod along with a TC...

Brent

I THOUGHT you said no more mods for this year?
Old 06-26-01, 05:01 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

I THOUGHT you said no more mods for this year?
Uh...YEAH...that's right...those are my next mods for NEXT YEAR...Hope my wife was not reading...

Brent
Old 06-26-01, 11:07 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

You know, there is ONE LUCKY Chihuahua out there...I was crusing down a street at about 40MPH and little piece of **** jumps out in front on me to chase a ball...I SLAMMED on my brakes (**** the dog, I didn't want dog guts on my car...hehehe, I'm going to hell) and I swear it felt like the back end came up!

I actually stopped about a foot or two from the dog. I should have gotten out and kicked it.

ABS kicking in or not, my car DEFINITELY stops better...even my buddy in the car was impressed he's a stunt car driver!

I'm going to do a 60-0 stop test with a bone stock GS300...I'm not sure if that's a good test (especially since he has stock 16" wheels with stock tires and I have a GS430 with a few little mods) but I want to see how much shorter my stops are...
Old 06-27-01, 08:18 AM
tim330i

Default supra brakes

You might try asking on www.supraforums.com see if someone has upgraded their supra and wants to get rid of their stock brakes.

Tim
Old 06-27-01, 11:24 AM
JacobT

Default Tinygs,

Let me make it clear. I meant you buy the Supra front calipers and TRD pads from Steve only. Then buy Brembo rotors that fit SupraTT for the look. I'm talking about front brake only because that's 90% of the brake function.
Old 06-27-01, 12:33 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

Originally posted by manaray
You know, there is ONE LUCKY Chihuahua out there...I was crusing down a street at about 40MPH and little piece of **** jumps out in front on me to chase a ball...I SLAMMED on my brakes (**** the dog, I didn't want dog guts on my car...hehehe, I'm going to hell) and I swear it felt like the back end came up!

I actually stopped about a foot or two from the dog. I should have gotten out and kicked it.

ABS kicking in or not, my car DEFINITELY stops better...even my buddy in the car was impressed he's a stunt car driver!
you crack me up.. hahaha...
Old 06-27-01, 01:09 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Tinygs,

Originally posted by JacobT
Let me make it clear. I meant you buy the Supra front calipers and TRD pads from Steve only. Then buy Brembo rotors that fit SupraTT for the look. I'm talking about front brake only because that's 90% of the brake function.
Thanks alot Jacob, thats an awesome idea..(especially working w/a budget) When I get the calipers, lines, and pads from Steve, can he hook me up with the rotors? Also, dont I need to make sure the Brembo rotor measures the exact same diameter as the stock Supra TT caliper? Lastly, is the stock Supra TT rotor a larger measurment than the stock GS? Thanks, Tiny
Old 06-27-01, 01:20 PM
JacobT

Tiny,

I've already checked, the Brembo direct replacement rotors for SupraTT is $130 apiece. They are 12.8 diameter which is about 1" larger than stock GS rotors. When ordering Brembo rotors, you have choice of either cross-drilled or slotted. Brembo rotors are good, they won't get cracked or warped.
Old 06-27-01, 01:26 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default Try these guys as well

If you don't mind getting used parts, try TAP recyclers (Toyota Auto Parts). I got my brakes, and rotors from them. 300 for everything. They have a warranty, of course you don't wanna find out that the brakes don't work and need to warranty it. When they get the brakes in, it goes out very fast, so you might wanna give them a call.

www.taprecycling.com

good luck
ricky
Old 06-27-01, 01:49 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

I'm not sure if it has been talked about, but can I fit the Brembo rotors with the stock calipers and pads?
Old 06-27-01, 01:55 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GSPOWER
I'm not sure if it has been talked about, but can I fit the Brembo rotors with the stock calipers and pads?
There are Brembo OEM replacement rotors for the GS. Once again see the above thread as to their worth and value as compared to the stock rotors...

Brent
Old 06-27-01, 02:15 PM
JacobT

Brent,

This has been discussed here before. Steve Ganz has contacted Brembo about their rotors. Brembo does not have any OEM replacement for GS. They do have OEM replacements for SupraTT. The cross-drilled GS rotors on the market today are not made by Brembo. I'd guess they are made by PowerStop.

Quick Reply: about Supra brake swap: