Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

about Supra brake swap:

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01, 12:30 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello

I remember long time ago we had a big talk about brake upgrades and I remember someone mentioning swapping the Supra brakes onto the GS.

Seems like it's a trend in japan now, alot of Aristos are just getting those Supra brakes.

Anyone got info on this? thanks!
Old 06-26-01, 01:22 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

ok lazy me just got my butt off the seat and did some search on this.

Still some questions:

Where can I get the Supra TT brake kit?
What's included? What kind of rotors? Plain or slotted or drilled or slotted/drilled?

And will just changing the front brakes help alot? Will changing the rears together change even more???

HELP~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-26-01, 03:59 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Globe, you OK?

Man, where the hell would get TOYOTA parts from? I'll give you one guess...

>> STEVE GANZ @ CARSON TOYOTA <<

I'm pretty sure that they're not drilled, but I think they're slotted...

And yes, front brakes will make a difference...but the AP Racing 6 piston system will make a BIGGER difference
Old 06-26-01, 05:51 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'll add another question to Globes

If you do the swap and I think it is front only, can you then transfer your original fronts to the rear?
Old 06-26-01, 09:55 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Globe,

Another thing to consider is that the brake caliper size is larger than our stock calipers. Therefore, if and when you buy new wheels, you may have to take into consideration the fact you need adequate clearance for the calipers to fit - otherwise you will have to shave them to make them fit. I don't think the Supra kit fits your current stock wheel though you may want to check with Steve on this.

I believe the percentage of work the front brakes provide vs. the rear is about 80/20 BUT I could be mistaken. For sure, the fronts do a lot more than the rear and usually it's not as necessary. One company that I really wish would make a kit for us is Baer Racing. I had their big brake kit for my past Mustang GT and it was awesome and the price was great! Unfortunately, their current application is for low-end Hondas...

Keep in mind that the offset really doesn't help determine whether the calipars will fit. It's the design of the wheels themselves. Luckily, I think my SS7's spokes have enough room for the calipars to clear otherwise some modification is necessary.

Steve Ganz is selling this kit for like 600 bucks I think - a great deal!

But, as Manary says the AP racing kit is even better! Frankly, the AP Racing kit may be overkill for just street applications-unless you are planning BIG engine mods in the future.

Brent
Old 06-26-01, 09:56 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: I'll add another question to Globes

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
If you do the swap and I think it is front only, can you then transfer your original fronts to the rear?
I don't think so but I could be wrong. I believe the front spindle design is different than the back...

Brent
Old 06-26-01, 11:46 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, you can't put the front brake in the back...w/o some serious modifications..so serious, it's not even worth it!

A full bore race brake system with a 13.56" Rotor squeezed by a 6-piston caliper overkill?! NONSENSE!

As Brent mentioned check your current and/or future rim for brake clearance...HRE's clear my AP setup by a mile...
Old 06-26-01, 11:50 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by manaray

A full bore race brake system with a 13.56" Rotor squeezed by a 6-piston caliper overkill?! NONSENSE!
Just thinking about it makes me drool...

Brent
Old 06-26-01, 12:39 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

so Steve sells the Supra TT brakes for the GS to swap?

I thought that TT kit was all 4 calipers and all 4 rotors.?

yah I don't think my stock 16s will fit anything bigger.
Getting something like AP or Brembo is too much for me, probably won't need it.

What about swapping the stock rotors to some drilled/slotted OE replacement rotors?
Old 06-26-01, 12:44 PM
gs400tx
Lead Lap

Default I think the abs will still function as though you have stock breaks..

Unless the GS4 breaking system is different (actually the 00s and 01s with active breaking might be), but i think the abs system will kick in long before you are able to maximize the breaking power of the oversized rotors and multi-pot calipers. That is the way most cars respond to oversized breaks with stock abs systems.
Old 06-26-01, 01:01 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
so Steve sells the Supra TT brakes for the GS to swap?

I thought that TT kit was all 4 calipers and all 4 rotors.?

yah I don't think my stock 16s will fit anything bigger.
Getting something like AP or Brembo is too much for me, probably won't need it.

What about swapping the stock rotors to some drilled/slotted OE replacement rotors?
Globe,

The $600 kit is for front rotors only...

Drilled, slotted OE replacement rotors are not worth the money. You don't get much improvement over the stock rotors cuz the stock rotors are pretty good already.

A set of Powerstop or Power Slot replacement rotors run about $120 a pair so if you were to reaplce all four it would be about $240 plus any labor...You are almost halfway there to a Supra TT brake upgrade BUT nowhere near halfway there in terms of improved braking performance. It really then becomes a Just-for-looks mod...In fact, I think you would get better results if you installed some steel-braided brake lines because the brake feel would be improved if not the braking performance.

And to further answer your question...NO you cannot DIY the stock rotors with slots and/or cross-drill them...just in case you were wondering Mr. DIY-King...J/K

Brent
Old 06-26-01, 01:25 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default Here's the lowdown

I have the supra brakes on my GS. They work great!! Stops awesomely.

You cannot place the rear supra brakes on the GS because of the way the GS and Supra differ as to how the rear brakes work. I don't even recommend it since most of the stopping force is on the front. You will not notice the difference. I brake really hard sometimes just to check the stopping distance and the rears do not kick out. If you want to have even better stopping feel, put the SS lines in. No brake fade, and better pedal feel.

17 inch stock wheels will fit only if you
1. shave the caliper
2. use a spacer (about 15 mm so you will need to get longer studs placed)

16 inch wheels will not fit because of the diameter of the brake.

I have had many compliments on the looks of the brakes especially when I pull up next to another GS that also has 19" or 20's. The first thing they look at is my rims then ask how big the front brakes are because they really fill up the rim.

Aloha
Ricky
Old 06-26-01, 02:22 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

HI98GS,

Do the Supra brakes come slotted or cross-drilled? Did you get them from Steve Gantz? Thanks for any info.

Brent
Old 06-26-01, 02:36 PM
JacobT

If you get the Supra brake set from Toyota, it comes with plan rotors. If you get it from RMM, it comes with 2 calipers, 2 slotted rotors, 4 pads and 2 steel lines. If you get it from TRD, it comes with blue podwer coated calipers with much higher cost

You can also order the calipers and steel lines from Carson Toyota and order a set of cross-drilled Brembo rotors for $260 plus order the TRD HP pads for $110. This is the best performance + cosmetics set I'd go for.
Old 06-26-01, 03:11 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Here's the lowdown

Originally posted by HI98GS
I have the supra brakes on my GS. They work great!! Stops awesomely.

You cannot place the rear supra brakes on the GS because of the way the GS and Supra differ as to how the rear brakes work. I don't even recommend it since most of the stopping force is on the front. You will not notice the difference. I brake really hard sometimes just to check the stopping distance and the rears do not kick out. If you want to have even better stopping feel, put the SS lines in. No brake fade, and better pedal feel.

17 inch stock wheels will fit only if you
1. shave the caliper
2. use a spacer (about 15 mm so you will need to get longer studs placed)

16 inch wheels will not fit because of the diameter of the brake.

I have had many compliments on the looks of the brakes especially when I pull up next to another GS that also has 19" or 20's. The first thing they look at is my rims then ask how big the front brakes are because they really fill up the rim.

Aloha
Ricky
HI98gs? Do you have any pics of your car? I have a 98' as well, and I just orders the Gracer front lip. I would like to see the brakes in a pic if you have one? Thanks, Tiny.

Quick Reply: about Supra brake swap: