Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS cross drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 10:43 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just call steve at carson toyota. he is our parts master guru on all toyota/trd lexus, and many other JDM parts.
Old 06-28-01, 01:39 AM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks btw where is carson toyota?
Old 06-28-01, 01:47 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SilverGSguy
thanks btw where is carson toyota?

Carson.

No Longo Lexus is not in Longo.

Carson, near Torrance.
Old 06-28-01, 02:55 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Nanotech - Most $2500 brake kits offer larger rotors (even larger than the Supra TT rotors), 4-piston calipers, custom made bracket and rotor hat, and usually steel braided lines...

On some kits (like the $3200+ AP Racing setup), you're talking about a 13.56" rotors and 6 piston calipers (as opposed to 4-piston)...just like anything else, the higher up you go, the more you have to pay.

The front Supra TT brake upgrades are more than good for most people, it just bothers me that it says "SUPRA" on it...I wouldn't want that on my Lexus.

Also, remember that this all has to fit under your rims. If you have stock 16's, forget it. If you have 17's, I believe you need spacers. If you have aftermarket rims, I hope your rims were designed to have larger brakes...otherwise, you'll have to do spacers which will screw up your entire setup (you may start rubbing, etc.)...

Old 06-28-01, 04:25 AM
gs400tx
Lead Lap

Default funny, i got an e-mail tuesday that said oem brembos were availble

Originally posted by gs4power
Guys,

To date, Brembo does not make OEM replacement rotors for the GS (beware!) It does for the Supra TT, to use them, you would need the Supra calipers.
Tony Nguyen sent me this

Yes I have brand new Brembo Rotors for your GS3 or GS4 instock and ready to ship. These are OEM which mean they drop right into the stock location and require nothing else. These come drilled/slotted or anyway you want them (just drilled or just slotted). These cost $340 + shipping by UPS for all 4 rotors. If you need new brake pads, I have Axxis Metal Master pads available and will throw it in for $100 for all 4.

Let me know if you're interested,
Tony

Old 06-28-01, 04:49 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

the calipers i was talking about turned out are powerstop's not brembo...i ordered them from a reputable shop near my house...the guy i ordered them from obvioulsy didn't know what he was talking about and said "brembo's yeah $97 a peice" i then called up my friend who owns the shop and told me that they were powerstop's

Sorry if i confused anyone..
Old 06-28-01, 11:16 AM
gs4power
Driver

Originally posted by gs400tx
Tony Nguyen sent me this

Yes I have brand new Brembo Rotors for your GS3 or GS4 instock and ready to ship. These are OEM which mean they drop right into the stock location and require nothing else. These come drilled/slotted or anyway you want them (just drilled or just slotted). These cost $340 + shipping by UPS for all 4 rotors. If you need new brake pads, I have Axxis Metal Master pads available and will throw it in for $100 for all 4.

Let me know if you're interested,
Tony
Do this...ask Tony for the Brembo Part # and then contact Brembo North America as a double check.

A while ago Steve (who has good connections w/ Brembo) warned us from buying the "Brembo" rotors from a guy who advertised them here. The guy never showed up again....Something to think about...
Old 06-28-01, 11:22 AM
gs4power
Driver

Originally posted by nanotech
$100 for a brembo rotor? $400 for all 4 rotors plus price of calipers?

That's a steal I would think, wasn't there some guy who was selling a brake upgrade kit for like $2,500??

How come the big price difference? What is the difference between a brembo rotor$caliper upgrade and the $2,500 brake upgrades that others talk about?
1-The Brembo replacement rotors for the Supra aren't floating disc type

2-The Brembo 4 piston calipers are worth $1000 each. BOTH Supra calipers run for about $500.

Old 06-28-01, 01:33 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

fogive me for asking this question, but what is drilled or slotted rotor? or cross drilled...etc, I have seen many posts on this topic, but what exactly is that referring to, is it for performance or appearance?

thanks,

Old 06-28-01, 02:34 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I think the stock brakes on the GS are pretty good and I like the fact that they don't emmit much brake dust. The reason I am thinking about doing a little upgrade is because of looks. I just have the stock chrome 17s, so I guess I would need spacers.

I definitely don't want to spend thousands on a brake setup that I am not really going to use to its fullest, I just want something for good looks, therefore don't want to spend much.

I don't really like the idea of the Supra Brembos saying "Supra" on them, but I am sure you can paint them over.

Manaray:

When are we going to get to know all the specs of your car, and I would also like to see some pics. You seem to know so much about the GS and all the aftermarket stuff, I am sure you put only the best in your car !
Old 06-28-01, 03:34 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gs4power

1-The Brembo replacement rotors for the Supra aren't floating disc type

2-The Brembo 4 piston calipers are worth $1000 each. BOTH Supra calipers run for about $500.

Hey Miguel, how are you? I was going to attempt what JacobT suggested by getting the SupraTT caliper. But, instead of the plain stock SuppraTT rotor, I was going to get the Brembo 12.8" direct replacement. Will this not work? If it is not the floating dicc type, what is it? Is there modification required? Please let me know....Thanks, Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 06-28-01 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-28-01, 08:15 PM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

isicklex

the powerstop rotors on nopi.com, are those stock size? i can use my stock calipers with them, right?
Old 06-28-01, 09:43 PM
gs4power
Driver

Cool Tiny

Hey Tiny,

I’ve heard Brembo makes a one-piece 12.6” rotor for the Supra, but just checked Brembo’s website for you and couldn’t find such rotors. They only have listed the 13.1” floating discs that are part of the complete Brembo kit. The Brembo 13.1 rotors will not fit the Supra calipers (not any modification will help here), these will only work with the Brembo calipers.

I recommend you go ahead and ask Steve if Brembo actually makes the Supra 12.6” discs. If they do there should be no problem with the setup you have planned. Otherwise, you would need to buy the complete Brembo kit if you want to have the Brembo discs, or stick with the Supra kit and have the discs drilled at a reputable machinning shop (if you want the drilled look and better pad bite)

Brembo lists a small number of disc sizes, 332mm and 355mm dia. among very few others, none of them match the Supra OEM size. But you should ask Steve anyways, maybe they have the correct size for the Supra.

Regarding the calipers, both Brembo and Supra calipers are 4 piston. I have yet to compare the piston area of the Supra and Brembo calipers (the larger the piston area the greater the normal force). Surprisingly, the piston area of the 4 piston Brembo is actually larger than the AP 6 piston, so the # of pistons can be misleading sometimes. Performance shouldn’t differ very much except that Brembo offers better leverage due to the larger discs. The Brembo caliper and pistons are machined aluminum and weigh a fraction of the Supra calipers (less than half).And yes, you also pay for that Brembo logo...that’s why they cost four times as much!

I’ll post my verdict (and pics) on the Brembo brakes soon, I’ve had them in my GS for a week....Stay tuned.....

BTW Tiny, I really like your SSR integrals! Did you post pics of your GS at the gallery? I wanna see your car!!
Old 06-28-01, 10:19 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks much for the info Miguel.....Big help. Are you really in Venezuela?
Its funny you mentioned my rims...I have been in the process lately of trying to settle on some 20's..(low budget) I might end up going with a fake three piece so I still have a lip. I am long overdue on posting pics....I will do it soon...before any rim changes...and if I get rims, then pics of that as well...Thanks again, Tiny
Old 06-28-01, 10:28 PM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

does anybody know anything about these bradi cross drilled and slotted rotors on ebay motors right now?? they are going for $150 for the pair. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=592807401

let me know what you think.

Quick Reply: GS cross drilled rotors