Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS cross drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-01, 05:37 PM
gs4power
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by manaray
Miguel - Hmmm, interesting...then I wonder what AP's reasoning is to use such a setup. Considering that track use is more "abusive" than street use, I can't imagine AP would make anything less than a "substantial" setup. I suppose what you said about brakes being a science in themselves is what it comes down to. The choices that AP made for that brake system must add up somewhere down the line because everyone I've talked to considers it the "ultimate" setup...oh, I'm working on getting some numbers from Stillen...

Very simple... AP Racing’s reasoning is to make a brake system optimized for the race track. First, they made the discs as light as possible, as you know, weight is critical under these circumstances. Second, AP enhanced the convective cooling capacity of the discs by increasing the air gap. Since race cars move at high speeds without coming to a complete stop w/ hot brakes, and have some sort of ducts to direct air to the brakes, the convective cooling characteristics can be exploited to their maximum. On the contrary, Brembo designed a better compromise for street use. In this case, sheer thermal mass and long term durability become more important than weight and convective cooling capacity. Ultimate setup or not, it depends on each person’s priorities.

Old 07-04-01, 11:25 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RacingAristo
I've seen people selling Brembo rotors for Supra. I could easily buy them from some online shops, ebay for exmaple. Could someone explain it to me? [/QU

RA and GS4will, you all are both correct. But I thought the determining factor was wether or not the Brembo rotor was for the stock Supra caliper and not just for the Brembo replacement caliper? (they arent the same) Please let me know. Tiny
Old 07-05-01, 03:08 PM
RacingAristo

Are we going to have this groupbuy anytime soon?
2 supra calipers,
4 TRD SS lines,
2 front brembo cross drilled rotors and
2 set of TRD braking pads.
Old 07-06-01, 01:22 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aren't we gonna have rotors and pads and all that for the rear?

I think I would like to have a set for the front and rear.

And is this brake setup you guys are trying to do a group buy on good? Like would you say its third best after AP Racing & Brembo?

Any pictures of this brake setup anywhere? I am basically doing it for the look (but I know I should expect better braking also), so are the rotors slotted and cross drilled? And is the Supra logo embossed on their or is it just a sticker we can take off or paint over?
Old 07-06-01, 07:15 AM
RacingAristo

initially the package only contains the front rotors, not with rear so the cost can be lowered. However, I believe we could try to work on some deal. Steve?
Old 07-06-01, 07:16 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Are we going to have this groupbuy anytime soon?
2 supra calipers,
4 TRD SS lines,
2 front brembo cross drilled rotors and
2 set of TRD braking pads.
I would like to get it rolling asap. We have to make sure that Steve can also get us the Brembo rotors, and not just the TRD.
Nanotech, by my calculations you would be the fifth person interested in this deal....I think the price will rise to around $800(w/out group buy) if we opt for the Brembo rotor instead of the stock Supra rotor. This is for fronts only. You dont need to do rears. If you would like the look in the rear to compliment and possibly match the front, you can get the direct OEM cross drilled replacement rotor and some stock rear pads. You will ABSOLUTELY be upgrading the performance of your brakes, not just the looks.......I will say to all who are considering the Supra brakes, if your rim offset is +40 or higher, you need to try and figure out if the caliper will fit. I know that JacobT has RH-C5 rims(not sure of the offset) and due to the design and the offset, he had to shave about 1/16 off an inch from the caliper to make it fit.......Also, from what I have been reading on this forum, AP and Brembo are absolutely the only "better" alternatives to this set-up. Clint(sc300TT) has a 765RWHP SC300(with a SupraTT engine) and uses this set-up. He raves about it on his web-site.....At the time of the launch of the last gen. SupraTT, ALL of the mags were going nuts over this brake..(because it was on a stock production car) I dont mind calling Steve, but I would assume that once a price is reached, he will want all of us to call in succession to complete the deal?????
Dont know, never dont a group buy before....

One last thing, I have already ordered the Lexus caliper stickers($17) from superjoes buddy (Ted). Im going to have the SupraTT logo machined off of the caliper, then I will paint it silver and apply the stickers... You all may consider doing the same. Or, if you arent interested in any logo, just get the caliper machined, paint it a nice color, put it on and forget about it.....Let me know, Thanks again, Tiny
Old 07-06-01, 07:23 AM
RacingAristo

tiny,

I will also get the stickers from Ted once I receive the Supra calipers. Where do you live? Maybe we can all go to the same shop and have a discount on installation. (P.S. I know Supra calipers won't fit my rims. Need to find a good shop to shave it to the right amount)

Maybe we can form another group buy for those lexus stickers. Hehe.
Old 07-06-01, 12:09 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

You know what, I think all the machining and sticker applying on the calipers and all should be done already, I think everybody wants it to say Lexus on the brakes and NOT supra, everybody has to do it anyway, so why not just have them done already...

also, $800 is too much for me, I mean, it may not be too much for the brake upgrade, but I am not looking for anything that drastic anyway, like I said, basically for looks...

so from what I understand so far, it will be:

Brembo rotors
TRD pads and SS lines
Supra caliper (from which the supra logo will be taken off and the Lexus logo applied?)

that's looks good, but like I said, $800 is too much, is there something less expensive that I could do, cause I am basically looking for looks, not performance, I like the current brakes already, ESPECIALLY because they don't emit much brake dust (actually I never recall seeing any on my stock chromes)!
Old 07-06-01, 01:55 PM
RacingAristo

Steve's original offer is supra plain rotors with factory braking pads. That package is at least $600 if my memory serves right.
Old 07-06-01, 03:36 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

Manotech- would the brake system work without any problems for stock 17s? otherwise i 2 probarly want just up grade rotors, pads, brake lines...? and who well be taking the supra logo off and putting on the lexus logo on the calipers for us, because if there no problem putting them on with my stock 17s then i would like more information, thanks
Old 07-06-01, 04:08 PM
RacingAristo

I see someone is selling two front Brembo cross drilled rotors for Supra 1986-1992 for $125 + $25 shipping. Could those fit our Supra brake calipers? That guy is selling 6 pairs so I believe all of us (who are interested in the brake kit upgrade) could really use this deal and just buy the calipers, SS lines, and brake pads from Steve. The deal ends in 2 - 3 days.
Old 07-06-01, 06:32 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

that sounds like a good deal racingaristo, but I hope Steve will be able to take off the supra logo and put on the lexus logo first, I am willing to bpay a bit more for that to be done on all four calipers ($20 - $40 more maybe?).

I too have the stock 17" chromes, I hope all this fits, I don't really know if it will!
Old 07-06-01, 07:32 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

I dont anticipate Steve will be taking anyones calipers to a machine shop, or applying the stickers for you....For the stickers, send a check for $17 to:
Ted Chrzanowski
227 Garry Drive
New Britain, CT 06052
Steve is sending you SupraTT calipers in a factory sealed box. The easiest route is to get them machined localy. Also, any replacement rotor will need to be for the 93-97 model year Supra TT caliper.....Tiny
Old 07-06-01, 07:54 PM
RacingAristo

I couldn't find Steve's original post (that's weird) and wonder do we really need 5 people to have this special order. Anyone knows how much is the supraTT caliper?
Old 07-06-01, 09:38 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please excuse me for cutting-in on this thread..

Dennis,

please check your PM later on for the ES pricing.

will

Quick Reply: GS cross drilled rotors