Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Control Arm Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 03:51 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Control Arm Options

im in desperate need of replacing my bushings. here are my options, which do you all think would be the best route?

1-get the daizen bushing kit from TM, get the bushings installed.

2-get some OEM supra control arms.

3-get some OEM lexus control arms.

the only reason i am afraid to go with option 1 is that if my ball joints are worn then there is no point in getting just the bushings. im looking to resolve this problem in the next month or so. please help and give some input. also to those with the daizen bushings, how are they, do they change handling at all?
Old 06-30-05, 04:04 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some OEM supra control arms for the front LCA's so that you don't have to worry about the balljoints. Supra rear ones are not compatible with the SC.

I'm still debating what to do with the rear LCA's. I want to replace them if my balljoints are bad but someone here said that the rear ones do not have balljoints...cannot confirm.

I heard that daizen bushing kit rides very rough.
Old 06-30-05, 04:59 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

thanks! i guess i will just surf around the net till i find a good price for some control arms.
Old 06-30-05, 05:08 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nnnickkk
thanks! i guess i will just surf around the net till i find a good price for some control arms.

Carson toyota sells two front Supra LCA's for ~$400 shipped. It includes bushings and everything.
Old 06-30-05, 05:13 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cloud9
Carson toyota sells two front Supra LCA's for ~$400 shipped. It includes bushings and everything.
awesome, thanks again, i will look into it.
Old 06-30-05, 08:09 PM
abdul10000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9
I'm still debating what to do with the rear LCA's. I want to replace them if my balljoints are bad but someone here said that the rear ones do not have balljoints...cannot confirm.

The rear arms have ball joints I have removed three arms on two different occasions and the all do.

I suggest you buy all new lower control arms front and back, because the lower arms bear most of the suspension pressure vs the top arms. In fact all front and back lower control arms (5 in total) that I worked with had pretty worn out balljoionts compared to the top arms that came from the same car. Bottom line get new lower control arms if your car is old and go with any option you prefer on the top arms to be safe.
Old 07-04-05, 06:00 PM
tjj13401
Rookie

I will also throw in my vote for the Supra LCA's. I just got mine from Carson Toyota for about $440 with shipping (from Calif. to Florida.). I also ordered upper control arm bushings and steering bushings (about $330) from Vlamos in Australia. The rationale is that based on most of what I've read here, even though the LCA's take the brunt of the force, the UCA bushings wear too - the steering bushings being rubber, might as well do 'em all.

I do not believe the rear LCA's will fit from a Supra, again based on what I've read here, so I think you only have 2 options: New LCA's, or new bushings. I was already at 130,000 miles, so new LCA's was the obvious choice for me because of the ball joints. I haven't installed them yet because I haven't had time to even get them to a mechanic yet...

TJ
Old 07-04-05, 07:39 PM
abdul10000
Driver

Originally Posted by tjj13401
Hi.

I saw your posting on rear LCA's. I have assembled all the parts for my front:

Supra LCA's
Vlamos bushings for the UCA's
Vlamos steering bushings

Now for the rear.... You say the rear LCA also has a ball joint.
My '95 SC400 has 130,000 miles on it, so it there is a ball joint back there, would it make sense to replace those arms too? Supra's don't fit there, do they? That means Lexus OEM, I assume.
Thanks for your input.

TJ

Hello,

You got the front covered with those parts. Though, make sure the mechanic that installs the parts is honest. Simply stated, a mechanic can take a decent ball joint and turn it into a bad joint by ripping the rubber boots that cover the joint or separating the joint too forcefully.

That being said, both the supra and SC rear lca have ball joints and the supra rear lca will not work because it's a little shorter than the SC rear lcs. Therefore, you will have to buy a new arm from Lexus or replace the bushings. I advise against replacing the bushings for two reasons.

First, in the process of separating the joint some damage may occur. That can be in form of the rubber boots getting damaged (they are not available from Toyota) or the joint smooth surface damaged.

Second, if you are doing the work yourself I would say go ahead and try replacing the bushings only on the rear lca and if the ball joints remain in good condition after a while enjoy the saving in cost. However, if you are paying a mechanic to do the work then pay him for the job ONCE as its a pricey repair. Each corner will be probably billed 3 hours minimum based on the book.

Again, I stress that you have to get a good and trustworthy mechanic that is willing to explain to you the steps which he will take to complete the job. That will illustrate whether the mechanic will do the job right or try to cut corners.

For example, if the mechanic uses universal ball joint separators chances are his tools will not fit. That may mean he will have to remove the axle out of the way which is extra work. Mechanics tend to be inpatient, he will probably try to use all sorts of tricks to separate the ball joints and in the process leave some damage. Trust me I have seen it done before.

If a mechanic plans to do a good job he will probably look under the car to examine clearance around the joints, try to fit his tools there, inspect for excessive corrosion or rust if there is any, and from there give an estimate.

Hopefully none of this will scare you from doing the job, rather will arm you with knowledge to ask the right questions and find the right mechanic.

Ps. I posted the answer here so others can use it to answer some of their questions too.

Last edited by abdul10000; 07-04-05 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-04-05, 07:58 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for everything guys. i will keep you updated on what i decide to do.
Old 07-07-05, 03:39 PM
tjj13401
Rookie

Thanks, Abdul

I know this is an issue that gets beaten to death, but it seems like some new bit of information pops up every time there is a posting on it. Doing the rear LCA's is probably a good idea, but I feel like I'll blow my entire wad underneath the car without addressing anything in the drivetrain..

TJ
Old 07-07-05, 05:22 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for everything guys. i will keep you updated on what i decide to do.
i ended up getting new LCAs, they are in the mail. now i need some rears.
Old 07-12-05, 12:31 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

i ended up getting new LCAs, they are in the mail. now i need some rears.
Where are you getting them installed at?