Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

heavy steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 01:46 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default heavy steering

today me and me buddy, who also owns an sc, drove each others cars and I noticed that his steering is much lighter than mine. his car has about the same amount of miles. what might be the wrong with my car?
Old 07-11-05, 01:21 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

anyone even replaced the steering rack on the sc b4?
Old 07-11-05, 02:00 PM
hayaku
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i replaced my steering rack on my sc400 only because the steering rack bushings were worn and i had too much play in my steering, before you get a new rack check to make sure your PS pump is in good shape and working and that the PS fluid is at the correct level.
Old 07-11-05, 02:03 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Too much play?
Old 07-11-05, 02:10 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

heavy steering as it seems like there is no power steering? if so, check the fuse located at the kickpanel where the driver's side left knee is.
Old 07-11-05, 08:17 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9
heavy steering as it seems like there is no power steering? if so, check the fuse located at the kickpanel where the driver's side left knee is.
Haha that would be INCREDIBLY hard steering, believe me, you would know if the PS wasnt working. You should check your PS fluid, make sure its not too dark (should be a nice bright red...it is Dextron auto tranny fluid), and make sure its full. If its real dark, flush it out and put it in new Toyota Dextron III, if its leaking, find the leak and THEN put in new Toyota Dextron III. I flushed mine out with the Toyota stuff about 6 months ago and my steering feels so good, not too light, and definitly not too heavy
Old 07-11-05, 11:09 PM
hayaku
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Too much play?
I would have to turn the steering wheel alot before the tires even turned becuase of worn bushings.
Old 07-12-05, 01:15 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

No the steering doesnt feel like its heavy like something was wrong with it. It just feels heavier and also a little bit more unresponsive compared to my friend's car.

I was thinking of replacing the the steering rack bushings down the road when I fix up my suspension. Does that involve alotta work n labor to the point where im better off replacing the rack too?

Does flushing out the fluid help alot???
Old 07-13-05, 02:22 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

No the steering doesnt feel like its heavy like something was wrong with it. It just feels heavier and also a little bit more unresponsive compared to my friend's car.

I was thinking of replacing the the steering rack bushings down the road when I fix up my suspension. Does that involve alotta work n labor to the point where im better off replacing the rack too?

you can get some rack bushings off fleabay for like $40, it's somewhat easy to install, you just need tools and a jack...I only had to replace one of mine and it solved my dead steer problem. Flushing out and replacing the fluid will only help if your PS fluid is old and murky.

I'm still trying to understand what you mean by "heavy steering"...I've NEVER heard this term before and am confused as to what exactly you mean...
Old 07-15-05, 01:59 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Heavy steering meaning that it takes more muscle power to turn the steering wheel weather its back out of a driveway or hittin the off-ramp at 60mph. Its heavy compared to my friends car. Both of our cars are of the same age. His has 120k miles and I have 138. Both are bonestock
Old 07-15-05, 05:45 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Look, could you go atleast check the PS fluid! Take a clean white rag, check the level, then wipe it on the rag. Theres a good chance the fluid is gonna be black, or the level is low
Old 07-15-05, 05:59 AM
abdul10000
Driver

If you are going to flush the steering fluid and replace the bushings as matter as well replace the whole rack. The one big extra step you will have to take while replacing the rack will be disconnecting the tie rods. However, a new steering rack on an old car is usually rewarding.
Why don't you check the fluid and see if it's the problem first, maybe you have the wrong fluid to begging with.
Old 07-15-05, 10:06 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
Look, could you go atleast check the PS fluid!
lol, yeah man...check the fluid...it maybe low or corrupted. Is your car making a whining sound when you steer? kinda like yawning?...
Old 07-15-05, 01:39 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
lol, yeah man...check the fluid...it maybe low or corrupted. Is your car making a whining sound when you steer? kinda like yawning?...
haha, its just that its so easy, and it'll tell so much. flushing PS fluid costs about $10 and maybe an hour of your time. Steering rack bushings, or even worse, the whole steering rack = $$$$$$

PS. Whats goin brother, long time no talk. Costa was pretty sick, but I gotta be honest, the girls were sub-par, Id rather hit the clubs here anyday haha
Old 07-15-05, 04:12 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
PS. Whats goin brother, long time no talk. Costa was pretty sick, but I gotta be honest, the girls were sub-par, Id rather hit the clubs here anyday haha
Sometimes I forget where you are, the land of tanned beauties and beaches!! Same old same man, different day, same shizzy. Sub-par women? Really? Man the pics I saw were like and my boy told me they were a dime a dozen out there like that. Hmm...I wonder where you were? I'll find out exactly where my boy was and let you know.

Steering problem homie, what's up with that PS fluid? Have you checked it yet? What the dealy?

Quick Reply: heavy steering