Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to remove front struts on SC400???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 08:52 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove front struts on SC400???

Is there any tutorial on how to remove the front struts and springs (preferably with pics). I have lowered all my cars previously, but was unable to get the shocks out yesterday. I thought I could drop out the bottom, but the a-arm would not go down enough. I would like to get my MKIV TT suspension on before my new wheels show. Anyone? (Yes, I searched)

Last edited by Quick VR-4; 07-11-05 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-11-05, 08:00 AM
ef9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got to take the long bolt out of the upper control arm and swing it out of the way.

Look through this

Good luck!
Old 07-11-05, 08:00 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is detailed write up on this but i dont remember where the post is. im sure if u knew the right words you could find it in a search. well as you probably know the back is easy as can be. just remove one bolt and the top nuts and pry the hub down with a long bar of some sort and it will come right out.

As for the front you will need to remove the fender lining and the winshield washer bottle out of the way for the drivers side. Then u will need to drop the upper control arm by removeing the long bolt( dont have enough room to pull the long bolt out unless u move the washer bottle) and then you remove the strut bolt and nuts that hold it in (order doesnt really matter). by this time it may seam like u can almost get it to come out but it has a hard time clearing. So thus again I would look to the long bar method and pry the hub down. but this time its a bit more difficult and takes a few tries to really get it out. this is actually the shortcut. Some people remove the sway bar end links. Thats a real pita since it may be impossible to loosen those bolts(when i changed my endlinks i had to have my mechanic torch it off as it was so rusted and stuck). Other than that I would watch out for the brake line when you pry down on the hub. the passenger side is the same you still need to remove the fender lining but theres no washer bottle in the way this time. I believe that sums it up hope i didnt miss a step but since your exprienced with doing drops im sure you'll be able to figure it out with ease. overall the job shouldn't take more than 2 hours front and back if you know what your doing and u dont run into problems.
Old 07-11-05, 11:16 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I know exactly what I did wrong. I tried to get the long bolt that holds the a-arm, but thought I was on the wrong track when it would not come out (due to washer bottle). I also tried to get the sway bar end links off, but could not as most have tried as well. I could have probably figured it out, but I knew you guys could give me exact directions. Can't wait to get the TT suspension on with my new 19's.