Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clarification needed please

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-05, 07:51 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Clarification needed please

I have done search after search and found about 10 different answers to the same question. If all the recommendations were followed then I would end up spending $5000 to fix my problem.

Could someone give an approximate percentage breakdown of what usually causes the "old car" rear suspension noise? I have a 97 SC300 that has slightly over 108k miles and the rear suspension began making an "old car" squeaking noise after around 100k miles. It started with the driver side and now the whole rear end is making the noise if I go over any imperfections in the road.

I'm looking for an answer in the form of:
50% probability that it is caused by Sway Bar Bushings
30% probability that it is caused by Lower Control Arm Bushings
10% probability that it is caused by old/worn Shocks/struts

Can someone give me an answer in this form please?
I already ordered replacement Sway bar bushings to see if this fixes the problem (as it appears to be the easiest and cheapest first attempt at a repair)

Could someone please post the results of these replacements if you were experiancing the same issues

Thanks!

Last edited by IronCobra; 07-12-05 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-13-05, 07:11 AM
abdul10000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
It started with the driver side and now the whole rear end is making the noise if I go over any imperfections in the road.

If its making noise at any bump than it's probably more than just sway bar links. The sway bar links have a unique behavior and tend to make noise at certain times. At least that's how it is in my SC. However, if your links are completely shot and its doing nothing but hang there waiting to fall apart one day then maybe it is the cause of all the noise. It all depends on the extent of the wear on the links. Did you inspect the links physically and tried to apply pressure to them to see how they sound?
Old 07-13-05, 07:42 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I did not try that. I have ordered new Sway bar links though to try and correct the problem since it is a pretty cheap repair. If that doesn't work I will simply use the process of elimination.

Also, I just ordered the front-LCA bushings from Sowell Lexus, they charged me $30.00 for the front and $39.07 for the rear. I also ordered the "Stoppers" listed in the writeup below (part# 48657-24020) for $15.00ea just to be safe. Sounds like a great price. They say that it should be around 6 hours labor and should cost around $450.00 total for the replacement. (People have asked this in other posts)

Here is a correction to another LCA post. The two part numbers that were provided for the Bushings (front and rear) are for 98-2000 SC models NOT 97-2000 like was posted. I confirmed this several times with the guy at Sowell Lexus in Dallas today.

Here is a writeup that I put together based on all the information I read about the LCAs.

The 4 Front Lower Control Arm (LCA) bushings for the 1998 Lexus SC300 go for $30.00ea for the front and $39.07 each for the rear, and you need 4 bushings total to do the front lower control arms, 2 for each arm..a front bush and a rear bush on each side. They do appear to work on Pre-98 models as well. These are special order items and usually take 1 extra day to get in.
Info on bushings: Bushings are made for `98 and up SC there are two different bushings front and rear, with different numbers:

Front: 48654-24040

Rear: 48655-24050

VERY IMPORTANT INSTALLATION INFORMATION BEFORE BEGINNING

Special notes:
The Front bushing is unidirectional but rear one is directional and should be installed correctly (See Caution note below). Also there is a Stopper that looks like big washer which takes care of the lateral movement of the Control arm. Make sure these are reinstalled if not the vehicle will have MASSIVE play when just lightly applying the front brakes and your customer will probably be very angry.
If the Stopper(s) are not reinstalled there will be major problems and will cause the destruction of the newly installed Bushings!!!! if you need to order a misplaced stopper the part #'s are 48657-24020 ea...

Tips for Removing Old Bushing
Your objective is to fold the outer metal sleeve of the bushing inward and then pushing bushing out of the ctrl arm using that newly formed ridge on the sleeve and blunt hammer tip..... I know description sucks, but it is actually a very easy task and the sleeve collapse like soda can allowing the old bushing to come right out.

Caution note when Installing Front- rear LCA Bushing:
The Rear bushing is directional. Be 100% sure to position the NEW Bushing in the EXACT SAME Direction and manner as the Old Bushing that you removed.
Now, if you are still in doubt and since there is no explanation given in Lexus service manual on how to position the front or rear bushing I would recommend that you ask your Parts Department or have them call Lexus technical support if they do not know.

Labor Costs
The Labor costs will vary slightly by shop, but Lexus Dealerships charge 3 hours per side for a total of 6 hours labor to install all new front Lower Control Arm bushings. I would highly recommend that you take your car to a Lexus Dealership to have this work performed, as they will know your vehicle the best.

Enjoy, I hope this clarifies some info for you all.

Last edited by IronCobra; 07-13-05 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-13-05, 09:16 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

I have the same squeeking problem from my rear suspension. My car has a 95 SC300 with 112k miles.

I believe that it is a 80% probability that it is caused by worn rear Control Arm Bushings...most likely the lower control arm since that takes the most abuse than the upper control arm. Anyways, I get the squeeking from the rear but once in a while I hear a "pop" in the front suspension which means that the balljoints in the LCA's are going bad also (the ball joints are connected to the LCA's). I have some front Supra LCA' s on order which cost around $400 for both front LCA with bushings already installed...just plug and play and save money on labor.

The rears are a problem since Supra ones don't fit and new Lexus LCAs cost around $800 for both. But if you have over 100k miles on the old ones, it might be worhwhile to spend the money and replace the entire LCA which would replace your balljoints as well. It would suck if you replaced the bushings and then 10k miles later you hear a popping sound and your balljoints go bad and then you'll have to replace the entire LCA.
Old 07-29-05, 02:30 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I had Yakuza in the SSS for a month, BIG service with new belts and cam clearances reset, new front shock absorbers/air bags and all the suspension/swaybar bushes replaced and I mean ALL 24 of them plus new roll-bar drop links.

It feels like a new car, handles as well as it could considering the air suspension but I still have a thump/clunk from the rear end which is not mechanical, looks like it is worn rubber mountings on the rear axle cage (forward/upper) so the cage will need to be dropped.

We also found since fitting the blower it has ripped one of the engine mounts and the other is "worn" so another stint at the SSS is required.
Old 07-29-05, 02:38 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

does anybody know if i order daizen sway bars, will it come with new bushings?
Old 07-29-05, 08:29 AM
bmatsu
Driver

workaholic the diazen sway bars do come with the bushings. they work great
Old 07-29-05, 09:53 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

thanks, i'm going to order a set one of these days...