Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bad Wheel Bearing = $650

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 06:19 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Wheel Bearing = $650

I have a bad rear drivers side wheel bearing and was quoted at $550 for the bearing, oil seals, and labor. Plus, after the bearing install it's going to need an alignment for another $100. Total before tax - $650 - . I called a Toyota dealership just for kicks and giggles and had them quote me for a Supra as they have the same suspension setup - Their price was $400 before alignment - So I guess the Lexus dealer is not too far off, but Geez O' Nazareth, pricey stuff. Just had to vent a little.
Old 07-20-05, 06:23 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Soooo do it yourself, where in FL do you live?
Old 07-20-05, 06:31 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
Soooo do it yourself, where in FL do you live?
I'm in Tampa.
Normally, I would tackle it myself, but I have to drive down to Miami this Saturday morning to get my exhaust installed and don't have time to wait for parts, etc. Get this, the dealer also wanted to replace the pax side bearing as well - they said it needed to be replaced, yadda yadda. I told them whatever, just do the drivers side that is making noise. If I have to replace the pax side later, I'll probably tackle it myself - even then the OEM parts alone are about $110 for the bearing from Carson and another $150 for the hub if you need it, plus the cost of the oil seals. Then you still have to have a shop press in the new bearing/hub for you. All around a pain in the butt. Supposedly, the bearings are the same as in the Supra NA/TT and are fairly robust and don't go bad often - just be glad if yours hold up.
Old 07-23-05, 10:59 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nomis
I'm in Tampa.
Normally, I would tackle it myself, but I have to drive down to Miami this Saturday morning to get my exhaust installed and don't have time to wait for parts, etc. Get this, the dealer also wanted to replace the pax side bearing as well - they said it needed to be replaced, yadda yadda. I told them whatever, just do the drivers side that is making noise. If I have to replace the pax side later, I'll probably tackle it myself - even then the OEM parts alone are about $110 for the bearing from Carson and another $150 for the hub if you need it, plus the cost of the oil seals. Then you still have to have a shop press in the new bearing/hub for you. All around a pain in the butt. Supposedly, the bearings are the same as in the Supra NA/TT and are fairly robust and don't go bad often - just be glad if yours hold up.

what are the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing?
Old 07-24-05, 11:11 AM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrshabo
what are the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing?
The main symptom (in my case as well as others) is a "rythmic rubbing sound" or a "WooWooWoo" sound - if that makes sense. Also with the wheel off the ground - you can physically feel slop in the wheel by pulling/pushing it in and out. The bearing itself is massive and I'm guessing they don't go bad often - they're almost 4 inches in diameter - that's massive for a wheel bearing. If you think you have one going bad - have it checked out. In my case I caught it as soon as I heard the sound and apparently it had been going bad for some time as it ruined my hub as well, so I had to buy another hub - $180. My mechanic at Lexus of clearwater stated that he wouldn't have to move any of the suspension parts - so I wouldn't need an alignment at this point - his honesty saved me $100.
Old 07-26-05, 11:09 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Default Update

Just an update, I picked up the vehicle today and it's driving, well - like a Lexus should, nice and quiet.