Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

my new BIG BIG brake setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-05, 11:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Sorry for chiming in so late, but big congrats lexforlife. Looks awesome. So glad you realize what we were talking about with the reduced weight. Like you I love handling and that was a really pleasing surprise when I felt how much more nimble my GS felt after the brake upgrade. Yours is an even bigger difference going from those boat anchor Supra brakes.

Do the bedding in with the OLD tires before you waste all that rubber on the new Toyos!

And if you haven't already done it why didn't you bed them in right away?

Personally I don't think you need to upgrade the rears since the fronts do the vast majority of the work.

Anyway, congrats!
Old 08-01-05, 11:21 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Sorry for chiming in so late, but big congrats lexforlife. Looks awesome. So glad you realize what we were talking about with the reduced weight. Like you I love handling and that was a really pleasing surprise when I felt how much more nimble my GS felt after the brake upgrade. Yours is an even bigger difference going from those boat anchor Supra brakes.

Do the bedding in with the OLD tires before you waste all that rubber on the new Toyos!

And if you haven't already done it why didn't you bed them in right away?

Personally I don't think you need to upgrade the rears since the fronts do the vast majority of the work.

Anyway, congrats!

thanks bit

these brakes are truly awesome bro , all i have to do is think stopping and these suckers grab instantly , i now find myself making sure the car behind is a distance away or else , boom

they are bedded nicely and the rotors are seasoned as well so about another 100 miles and i can really get into them

i am still thinking about the rears more over for balanced looks then increasing rear brake trq for the 13in rotor and ls430 huge 2 piston seems to be well balanced , we will see how it goes , maybe one of you stoptech or brembo guys should pick up my rear setup and i will pickup the rotora matched rears

hey bit are you up for nopi atlanta this year

i hope you will join us for theirs quite a few of us heading up in sept
Old 08-01-05, 01:41 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the OT but when you guys bedded in the brakes did you follow the manufacturers recommendations exactly?

Once I have the brakes installed I am going to have to drive about 3 miles or so to a location suitable for the breaking in of the brakes. I was wondering if using the brakes before actually bedding them in will cause a problem? I will drive very carefully and use the brakes as little as possible but I will still have to use them.

Also Ed what do you mean by the rotors being "seasoned" ? Does this just mean broken in?
Old 08-01-05, 01:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Rich the short drive to your bedding place will be no problem. By seasoned I think he means they were heated/cooled properly.

My Lexus dealer did the bedding in for me. I shoulda provided some maalox.
Old 08-01-05, 02:12 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Rich the short drive to your bedding place will be no problem. By seasoned I think he means they were heated/cooled properly.

My Lexus dealer did the bedding in for me. I shoulda provided some maalox.

exactly bit

seasoning the rotor is heatcycling the rotor relieved internal metal stresses.. i always do this first for a few days of easy driving then bed the pads , relieveing the metal on the rotor helps to prevent or guard against rotor warpage

rich , bottom line season the rotors first then do a light bedding ,drive for another 5-75 miles of easy braking and do a final bedding and then you are good to go bro
Old 08-01-05, 02:22 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys.

Stoptech recommends a series of 10 60 mph down to 10 - 20 mph decelerations, allow the brakes to cool and then repeat. So by light bedding what would you do?

Also does Rotora recommend the same process? I am not sure if the different manufacturers recommend different things. I hope the shop will do this for me but just in case I want to know what to do.

Bit, do you know where Lexus took the car to bed the brakes?
Old 08-01-05, 03:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Thanks for the info guys.

Stoptech recommends a series of 10 60 mph down to 10 - 20 mph decelerations, allow the brakes to cool and then repeat. So by light bedding what would you do?

Also does Rotora recommend the same process? I am not sure if the different manufacturers recommend different things. I hope the shop will do this for me but just in case I want to know what to do.

Bit, do you know where Lexus took the car to bed the brakes?
the series of hard stops from 60 to 10 is the bedding process. it's to bed the pads on the rotors nicely
Old 08-01-05, 06:19 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I know what the bedding process is. Lexforlife stated he did a "light" bedding process and was curious what that entailed, like stops from 40 to 10 etc?
Old 08-01-05, 06:37 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

I know what the bedding process is. Lexforlife stated he did a "light" bedding process and was curious what that entailed, like stops from 40 to 10 etc?

from research i have done , seasoning the rotors first helps to relieve internal stress from the metal of the rotors prior to the actual bedding of the pads which can shock the metal suddenly because of the sudden heat generated so i do some light stops for a few days and regular driving then after about 50 miles or so i begin the bedding process , 1st time light drive for a few days then the actual heavy bedding process and then its done

this is a combo of info from stoptech, brembo apracing etc etc , one thing they all recc is seasoning the rotor first
Old 08-01-05, 07:21 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the help Ed. So I should drive around for a few days with light braking and then do the bedding process. When you do the bedding process did you follow the MFG instructions or did you have your own routine?
Old 08-01-05, 07:33 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

rich

i basically followed the industry standard as illustrated on stop techs site a series of 60-10 60-20 60-30 and cool off and repeat
Old 08-01-05, 08:52 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if this is helpful or will confuse matters more but when StopTech installed my brakes, they pretty much did the bedding procedure right afterwards.
Old 08-01-05, 09:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i didn't see the seasoning part for my apracing and the stoptech. they just did the bedding right after the install as well
Old 08-02-05, 04:36 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

seasoning the rotors is just sort of like added insurance against shocking the metal in the rotor with sudden heat from the bedding process , many believe having the 2 piece rotor design would guard against warpage , it might , but at almost 400 per rotor section to replace i say season first then bed , it has worked fine for me in fact i just finished the last part of the bedding process last night
Old 08-02-05, 08:55 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Ed,

Could you post or PM me with the process you used to season and then bed the rotors?

Quick Reply: my new BIG BIG brake setup