Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is 1" drop enough for a SC400

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 11:27 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 1" drop enough for a SC400

Hey guys, was just wondering if a 1" drop is enough. I have a 1993 SC400 and I'm thinking of getting tokico blues shocks and eibach pro kit. I'm planning on getting 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear with 245/35/19 on the front and 275/30/19 ont the rear tires. I know I will have to roll the fenders a bit on the rear. I'm basically aiming for that perfect look as far as the height goes between tires and fenders. I've seen some other people in this forum with the same set up but it looks like the fronts have more gap between the tires and the fender than the rear does. It kinda makes it look cheesy in a way. Is there any way to get around this with out spending alot of money on the Tiens.
Old 07-27-05, 11:30 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SharpCreas
Hey guys, was just wondering if a 1" drop is enough. I have a 1993 SC400 and I'm thinking of getting tokico blues shocks and eibach pro kit. I'm planning on getting 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 rear with 245/35/19 on the front and 275/30/19 ont the rear tires. I know I will have to roll the fenders a bit on the rear. I'm basically aiming for that perfect look as far as the height goes between tires and fenders. I've seen some other people in this forum with the same set up but it looks like the fronts have more gap between the tires and the fender than the rear does. It kinda makes it look cheesy in a way. Is there any way to get around this with out spending alot of money on the Tiens.
NO. definitely not. get coilovers or get some espilers (sp?) if you're on a budget. Everyone on this forums seems to be strapped for cash 12 months out of the year.
Old 07-27-05, 11:30 AM
MyScRuNmIa
Pole Position

in the rear its fine in the front you wana go down to 1.5 or 2
Old 07-27-05, 11:33 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

hey, just a thought... i hear honduh guys cut their springs. It's only $10 per side. That's it!!!! That would save you a grip load of money.
Old 07-27-05, 11:39 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was on the Tokico/Eibach drop for a while, it was definitely a lot better than stock (recently sold to Cloud9). You definitely won't have to worry about doing up steep driveways or anything and it's better than stock. Pros with this drop - you probably won't need a camber kit...Cons you have about a 1-2 finger gap..

Espelirs lowers the car right above the tire...lower drop than the Eibachs but you'll need a camber kit or you'll be going through tires...

Or you can just save up and get some Tein's...the Basics are as low as $650 i've seen...

Call Todd @ TMengineering.net if you want pricing...

Tony
Old 07-27-05, 11:43 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Someone wrote an article about how the stock ride height should have been what the Eibachs are. I couldnt agree more....i prefer a little lower though myself , so i went with a Supra TT setup.it lowered my car 2.2 front and 1.5rear And im low. I dont really know about 19s with my setup. I think the front would have issues, But doable. The rear would be fine.
It sounds to me like you should look into a Supra setup, SC Espillers, Or if you can swing it get the coilovers.
Old 07-27-05, 12:00 PM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. Probably going to have to bite the bullet and get the Tiens. By the way, whats the cheapest place to order them from(how much?)? Also, if I get the Tiens, whats a safe but good looking ride(drop) in the front and rear?
Old 07-27-05, 12:04 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

www.tmengineering.net

safe drop is up to you. whether or not you have steep driveways and what not....
Old 07-27-05, 12:15 PM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Are the TEIN BASIC Coil Overs doable or should I save more money for the FLEX or CS version?http://www.tmengineering.net/images/...tein_basic.gif
The drop is 1.4" in the front and 1.0" in the rear. Will that make it sit right and have no huge gap in the front.
Old 07-27-05, 12:46 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Are the TEIN BASIC Coil Overs doable or should I save more money for the FLEX or CS version?http://www.tmengineering.net/images/...tein_basic.gif
The drop is 1.4" in the front and 1.0" in the rear. Will that make it sit right and have no huge gap in the front.

height is adjustable so you can adjust it to the height that's right for you
Old 07-27-05, 12:48 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

The Tein Basic is fine for you, its height adjustable so you can change your ride height suitable to your needs.
Old 07-27-05, 12:48 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tein CS coilovers are not available anymore...if you're lucky you'll find someone who has them in stock...or find someone with a used set..
Old 07-27-05, 02:27 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Just to clarify, is 1' inch drop up front the maximum drop one can have without using the camber kit and wearing out the tires?

Or can one go as low as 1.5' inch?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Old 07-27-05, 02:51 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lowering SC

As I talked to TMengineering.net, they told me the Eibach will give an uneven look. Also, I've seen several SC 400 & 300 with Eibach looking kinda cheesy as you've mentioned with the larger gap in front and the smaller gap in rear. This is what I did to my SC400 to eliminate that problem. I used Tanabe springs with blue Tokicos. I cut only 1/2 coils for fronts with a 4.5" cut-off wheel. It's easy to do, but make sure to cool them with water after a few cuts. I also cut part of the bump-stops as per Tanabe's instruction. For the rear, I leave the whole springs and the whole bump-stops even though Tanabe recommend to cut the bump-stop for the shock's traveling. The reason I leave the whole bump-stops because I got 2 sub-woofers in the back which makes the rear sits lower. If you don't have sub-woofers, then cutting part of the bum-stop will make the rear absorb the bounce better. However, everything is very acceptable and smooth with my setting. Also, it's totally safe with 1/2 coils cut because the springs are still longer than the shock bodies. I got no alignment problems including 120 mph plus. The total that I spent was only $460.

One tip for cutting the bump-stops: after cutting them, make sure to use a round grinder tip installed on the drill to grind, smoothen, and open out the inner upper of the bump-stops, which slide up and down on the shocks' bodies. This way, the bump-stops won't break when they hit the upper washers of the shocks. I broke 2 front bump-stops that cost me $32 each. But after learning the hard lesson, it's totally perfect now.

Last edited by stevechumo; 07-27-05 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 09:38 PM
Bane
Rookie

You know that cutting the spring changes the spring rate dramatically right?

Quick Reply: Is 1" drop enough for a SC400