Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Keep TRD LCB or TOM`s LCB

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-05, 08:46 PM
Lvangundy

Default Keep TRD LCB or TOM`s LCB

We now know that the TOM`s front LCB does not fit the GS430 properly. It won't clear the transmission. It can be made to fit with washers or cut and welded.

The TRD LCB fits fine, but doens't offer the extra connecting arms to the frame. There is a different feel with the TOMs, the front end feels slightly firmer.

Personally I don't like the washer method to get the brace to fit. I'm asking a 'choice' question here, but what to do? Keep the TRD or TOMs?

Any idea what it would cost to cut and re-weld? Honestly I would imagine less than $100.
Old 08-01-05, 09:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
We now know that the TOM`s front LCB does not fit the GS430 properly. It won't clear the transmission. It can be made to fit with washers or cut and welded.

The TRD LCB fits fine, but doens't offer the extra connecting arms to the frame. There is a different feel with the TOMs, the front end feels slightly firmer.

Personally I don't like the washer method to get the brace to fit. I'm asking a 'choice' question here, but what to do? Keep the TRD or TOMs?

Any idea what it would cost to cut and re-weld? Honestly I would imagine less than $100.
keep the trd and sell the tom's to me

and no, seriously i wouldn't even consider rewelding
Old 08-02-05, 04:33 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

bro , keep the toms , it works well in the front end , i made the little divots right where the nut from the tranny would just barely touch , it has not affected the strength of the brace . i have had mine since early last year i believe and i drive hard very hard.

just make a small divot right at those 2 points and you will be fine , adding washers can also work but imo will not offer the same strength as designed for it will now be mounted off the underbody
Old 08-02-05, 06:42 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as I stated before, the Toms Front LCB had no interference problems at all on my 2004 GS430. It bolted right up and did not touch the transmission. Sorry to hear about the problem on your car, as the Toms front LCB is a great addition and significant improvement ( IMHO ) to the GS.

I would vote for keeping the Toms and doing the small 'ding' fix Ed descibed. IMHO the dings' effects would not be significant.
Old 08-02-05, 07:48 AM
Lvangundy

I imagine that in 2003 the transmission postition changed. The 2003 is one of those touch-up years.

Or it could be the fact that your motor/trans mounts haven't started sagging yet.