Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LS400 brake upgrade HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 02:42 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS400 brake upgrade HELP ASAP

Hey fellas.

I'm in the middle of doing the LS400 caliper upgrade. I managed to get everything off, installed the new rotors, and then I went to bolt on the new calipers.

Problem is the calipers won't bold on directly since it won't clear the new rotors. ARGH!!!!! Looks like the rotors are too big or something.

I went a step back and put my old rotors back on since they're smaller. The calipers bolted on, barely , and they are rubbing at the bottom part of the rotor.

Any suggestions much appreciated. THANKS. I'm waiting for your help ASAP as my car is currently in the driveway.
Old 08-09-05, 02:49 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if your using the sc bolts, you will need a couple of washers, cause the bolts are slightly longer.
Old 08-09-05, 02:53 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Aliga,

I'm using my SC bolts, but I don't think washers are going to affect the clearance issue I'm having with the rotor.. I connect the top bold of the caliper just fine. Then I went to mount the bottom bold and it doesn't reach the bracket because the bottom part of the caliper is hitting the rotor. It even rubs on stock rotors, but barely makes it.

What do you think is going on?
Old 08-09-05, 03:34 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
Aliga,

I'm using my SC bolts, but I don't think washers are going to affect the clearance issue I'm having with the rotor.. I connect the top bold of the caliper just fine. Then I went to mount the bottom bold and it doesn't reach the bracket because the bottom part of the caliper is hitting the rotor. It even rubs on stock rotors, but barely makes it.

What do you think is going on?
Make sure the rotor fitment is good.. I remember having some problems making it perfect.
Old 08-09-05, 04:04 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

okay, I just got some washers from Home Depot. Tried it again and still have the same problem.

Man, I thought this was an easy bolt on mod????

I may have to put my car back together with the stock brakes and rotors if a couple hours if I can't get this to work.
Old 08-09-05, 04:15 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

Make sure you are using 95-00 LS 400 rotors for the front. It sounds like your rotors are too small, maybe you got LS400 rear rotors? . I have installed about 3 sets of LS Caliperrs on the SC. The washers from Home Depot did the trick everytime, using t he SC bolts.

Last edited by Sleeper97; 08-09-05 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-09-05, 04:56 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sleeper97
Make sure you are using 95-00 LS 400 rotors for the front. It sounds like your rotors are too small, maybe you got LS400 rear rotors? . I have installed about 3 sets of LS Caliperrs on the SC. The washers from Home Depot did the trick everytime, using t he SC bolts.
Yeh it was a breeze......... you may have the wrong rotor.
Old 08-09-05, 06:11 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

see if they bolt up with the stock sc rotors.
Old 08-09-05, 06:55 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Okay, I win the "Idiot of the Week" award.

After 2 hours of shaking my head and getting frustrated, I finally realized that I had the left and right side calipers switched!!!!!1 Thanks for the help guys. I feel like such an idiot.

Major setback.

After I figured that out, it was a MUCH better fit. It was kind of a pain getting the passenger side done first (4 hours), but the driver's side took about 25 minutes. The hardest part was taking off the dust shield.

I also had to make another trip out to Home Depot to get some more washers. I ended up using 3 washers per bold. Total of 12 washers. I only got 9 on my first trip. If anyone needs washers, go get the 12mm zink plated ones. They are sold in sets of the and are $.46/set.

I"m waiting for my brother to come over so we can bleed the brakes.

One other thing that I encountered was the attachement of brake lines to calipers don't exactly fit the LS calipers. That ****/end bit doesn't fit. Right now, it just sits on top of bare metal. That should be okay...right?

In 1/2 hour I'll sporting some new brakes...I'll give you guys a full report with pictures.

The brakes clear the '06 GS430 wheels with no spacers!!!
Old 08-09-05, 10:33 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

Its fine that the **** end of the brake lines do not fit perfectly. As long as you tighten the bolt and brake fluid is not leaking , you are fine.
Old 08-10-05, 02:37 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Its fine that the **** end of the brake lines do not fit perfectly. As long as you tighten the bolt and brake fluid is not leaking , you are fine.
Good to know. That makes me feel a lot better. Well the new calipers are on and I can honestly say that it's not as great as everyone says it is. I still haven't slammed on the brakes yet, maybe once the new pads are worn in, I'll give it a shot.

I can hear a little rubbing on the brake pads and rotors and it makes a creaking noise when I tap on the brakes when the car is barely moving.

More pictures this evening when I get home. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 08-10-05, 05:11 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

You have to bleed it more than once, drive it around for a while let the brake fluid go through the entire system and bleed it out again. You may have air bubbles in there still. I had the same problem on my SC and after i bleeded it the second time i felt a bigger difference. Also your brake lines may be old, i changed them with TRD stainless steel lines and that made it an even bigger difference. The brakes were so sensitive i did not even have to push it down more than 1/4 and the car would come to a complete stop.
Old 08-10-05, 10:51 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

If I bleed the brakes again, do I need to do the rear calipers also, or just the fronts?

I was hoping I didn't really need to spend another $100 on SS lines, but it looks like I just might have to if I really want the full affect.

The money pit is endless I tell you......
Old 08-10-05, 11:56 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

Just bleed out the whole system, front and rear. Make sure everything is tight and there are no leaks in your lines.
Old 08-11-05, 06:01 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Just bleed out the whole system, front and rear. Make sure everything is tight and there are no leaks in your lines.
thanks for the advice. I'll probably get some SS lines and do the whole car next week.

Quick Reply: LS400 brake upgrade HELP ASAP