Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Advice Needed: What to replace to freshen up the front suspension???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-05, 01:34 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by phisig
Went to Lindsay Lexus and picked up Outer Tie Rods (should i have gotten inner too???) and Lower Ball Joints -- For now I think that's all I am going to do. I asked about Caster Arms and Lower Control Arms. The Parts associate said that caster arm was too general a term and he couldn' t help me with that. The lower control arm is two peices aparently, do I need both, or just one peice. Part numbers would be great too if you all had them. Thanks

you dont need the inner tie rod ends , the outer , and ball joints .. you parts guy must be a newby or something for the lower control arm is one piece , the castor arm runs dia from the lower control arm

i just changed my lower control today inmy garage , took about 2hrs to do , you guys should see how bad the ols bushings within the lower control were. they were torn and cracked and the inner and outer sleeves .. this tearing of the rubber means the inside parts must be crushed allow more and unwanted movement within the bushings/sleeves..

all i can say my car really feels like new again, the vibration , no shimmy at any speeds , no steering wheel kickback over rough roads and it tracks much truer no and no eveidence of any tramlining

guys , get your wheels road forced , if you have over 60k on the clock change balljoints, outer tie rods, and lower control arms then get a good alignment and you will bring back that new car smoothness again
Old 08-19-05, 06:03 PM
phisig
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna do inner tie rods and lower ball joints along with Tein HA's this weekend, hopefully that will liven up my suspension.
Old 08-21-05, 12:58 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
thanks for the props

heres what you need

lower ball joints
right side
left side

castor arms

left side
right side

outer tie rod ends

left side
right side

lower control arms

left side'
right side this is one of the most important next to the ball joints with the miles you have

once finished a good good alignment

next grab a beer (preff a red stripe , ya mon)

and smile ear to ear as you now will have that new car feeling
what is the est. price for these parts only?
Old 08-22-05, 07:17 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Road Forced?

guys , get your wheels road forced

Okay Ed you lost me here.
What is road forced?

Ivan
3dog
Old 08-22-05, 07:37 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3dog
Okay Ed you lost me here.
What is road forced?

Ivan
3dog
ivan

road force blance hunter 9700 machine , the only way to get a accurate balance
Old 08-22-05, 09:07 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.lexus-parts.com is the absolutely the cheapest around. Don't bother looking for the cheapest vendor elsewhere. I did all this a month back and loving every minute of it. Tie rods and ball joints are relatively cheap. Its the control arms that is a pretty penny. Until daizen comes out with the replacement bushings for the control arms ( which is pretty much NEVER!) just go oem and lexus-parts.com
I didnt change my castor arms and now regretting.
my 1998 GS suddenly feels like a 2006

Mods: I'm not promoting lexus-parts.com, they kick *** in service, price, etc.
Old 09-01-05, 10:40 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the props

heres what you need

lower ball joints
right side
left side

castor arms

left side
right side

outer tie rod ends

left side
right side

lower control arms

left side'
right side this is one of the most important next to the ball joints with the miles you have

once finished a good good alignment

next grab a beer (preff a red stripe , ya mon)

and smile ear to ear as you now will have that new car feeling
Are all these valid parts for the rear suspension as well, and would you not recommend changing those out as well?

Also, if I order lower control arms would the lower ball joints not be included in that?
Old 09-01-05, 12:31 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Default is lexus-parts.com out of parts??

all I found from the suspension section was this.

43330-39535 - JOINT ASSY LWR BALL $76.09

4334039415 - JOINT ASSY LWR BALL LH $76.09

Is that all there is???
Old 09-01-05, 12:32 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud

Is that all there is???
Looks like you have to call them for the rest of the parts info.
Old 09-01-05, 07:13 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by cliffud

Is that all there is???

These two parts are $120 for the pair thru Carson Toyota. You need to call them up.
They are not listed on the web site.
Just ordered them (yesterday) and the outer tie rods which were $92 for the pair.

They can also get the lower control arm $187 and what they called a sub arm that they think is what lexforlife is calling the castor arm and it is $110. And these prices are for each side. So double it and it becomes a big hit on the plastic. But I want it to be all new again.

I will be ordering the lower control arm and sub arm tomorrow

I wanted to wait for the Daizen lower control arm but can't find out when it will be available.

Ivan
3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 09-01-05 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-01-05, 11:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

These two parts are $120 for the pair thru Carson Toyota. You need to call them up.
They are not listed on the web site.
Just ordered them (yesterday) and the outer tie rods which were $92 for the pair.

They can also get the lower control arm $187 and what they called a sub arm that they think is what lexforlife is calling the castor arm and it is $110. And these prices are for each side. So double it and it becomes a big hit on the plastic. But I want it to be all new again.

I will be ordering the lower control arm and sub arm tomorrow

I wanted to wait for the Daizen lower control arm but can't find out when it will be available.

Ivan
3dog
man ivan you didn't read my thrad where i got the production units already? just wait a bit longer man, they are bring made!
Old 09-02-05, 12:11 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
man ivan you didn't read my thrad where i got the production units already? just wait a bit longer man, they are bring made!
maybe Ivan is referring to the complete arm replacement and not just the bushing. that bushing job seems like a little much for the average mechanic. it'd be nice to be able to buy the arm with the daizen bushing in it already.....
Old 09-02-05, 01:54 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Red face Confused

Originally Posted by chuckb
maybe Ivan is referring to the complete arm replacement and not just the bushing. that bushing job seems like a little much for the average mechanic. it'd be nice to be able to buy the arm with the daizen bushing in it already.....
Chuck you are exactly right. And I just checked with my Service friend at the Lexus dealer and he told me their computer shows 6.5 hrs of labor for each arm. Plus if I did the outer tie rods and lower ball joints that is another 4hrs of labor for a total of 17 hrs and they charge $95 per hr.

Then to top it off I've got a price quote of $187 for the lower control arm and $110 for a sub arm from Carson Toyota. So I go to the parts dept at the dealer and ask for a price quote on the same two parts. well just add $100 to each and it comes up $400 more than Carson Toyota.

Just buying the bushing seems like the best of both worlds but it sounded like Todd had a hell of a time getting those old bushings off. Neo said the labor on swapping the bushings out was going to be like $400-$500

Originally Posted by Neo
It has been awhile since I've looked but I think parts will be near the $100+ mark. The labor , however, will be the part that will make you go . I think it is in the 4-500 range.

And I don't know for sure but I would guess the mechanic would need to take the lower control arm off the car anyway to swap the bushings out.

So anyway you do it the labor is huge. I guess you save a lot if you don't have to buy all these arms.

I am still a but confused. I just reread Romini's thread and I'm not sure if the bushings are for the lower control arm or the castor arm. Maybe someone can tell me that. I also have not been able to find out if my own mechanic is good enough to swap these bushings. Both Romini and Todd along with lexforlife say these are very hard to swap out.

I was on the verge of ordering all these lower contol arms etc today and am holding off for now.

I do have the outer tie rods and lower ball joints on the way so maybe I will get them installed and check the other bushings and see if they look good or bad

Ivan
Old 09-02-05, 04:08 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Chuck you are exactly right. And I just checked with my Service friend at the Lexus dealer and he told me their computer shows 6.5 hrs of labor for each arm. Plus if I did the outer tie rods and lower ball joints that is another 4hrs of labor for a total of 17 hrs and they charge $95 per hr.

Then to top it off I've got a price quote of $187 for the lower control arm and $110 for a sub arm from Carson Toyota. So I go to the parts dept at the dealer and ask for a price quote on the same two parts. well just add $100 to each and it comes up $400 more than Carson Toyota.

Just buying the bushing seems like the best of both worlds but it sounded like Todd had a hell of a time getting those old bushings off. Neo said the labor on swapping the bushings out was going to be like $400-$500

And I don't know for sure but I would guess the mechanic would need to take the lower control arm off the car anyway to swap the bushings out.

So anyway you do it the labor is huge. I guess you save a lot if you don't have to buy all these arms.

I am still a but confused. I just reread Romini's thread and I'm not sure if the bushings are for the lower control arm or the castor arm. Maybe someone can tell me that. I also have not been able to find out if my own mechanic is good enough to swap these bushings. Both Romini and Todd along with lexforlife say these are very hard to swap out.

I was on the verge of ordering all these lower contol arms etc today and am holding off for now.

I do have the outer tie rods and lower ball joints on the way so maybe I will get them installed and check the other bushings and see if they look good or bad

Ivan
ivan the arms rominl is talking about is castor arms .. i did remove one bushing but man it was a pita and it took about 2 hrs or so using a air chisel and working around it if you want i can post up a pic thankfully i have one done already so just one to do which i will take my time doing ..

i dont think they were talking about the lower control arm bushings as yet so you may want to think about just springing for the new lower arms .. i did and i am so happy i did for the car runs so smooth like new again.. you cant see damage while they are mounted nor can you use a pry bar to check for movement only removing and checking around the sleeve can tell , mine was cracked and torn 3/4 aroun d the inner and outer sleeves badly...

since you are in there do the balljoints and tie rods .. you dont need to have lexus do this for they are going to rape you like there no tomm , go to a high end japanese svc center and make a pkge deal

bro too bad you were not closed i would do it for 1/3 the price no problem
Old 09-02-05, 04:10 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

bro too bad you were not closed i would do it for 1/3 the price no problem

I work for free or beer

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: What to replace to freshen up the front suspension???