Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension Installation Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 09:44 PM
actuary
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Suspension Installation Nightmare

A couple friends and I attempted to install an eibach/tokico setup on my SC300 today. We only got to finish the back since we hit so many problems. First, removing the sway bar end link was pretty impossible. I ended up stripping the key that holds the bolt on the end link and so probably need to go and get a new end link from Lexus tomorrow. Next, while torquing a caliper bolt (manual specifies 25 ft-lbs but I read 77 somewhere else and made a mistake) the bolt broke in half. To finish off, one of my caliper mounts (torque plate) has the sliding pin locked up so I think I need to replace the whole mount since I can''t pull the sliding pin out. I hope I can get the caliper mount from a parts store, it will probably be really expensive from the dealer.

Last edited by actuary; 08-23-05 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-23-05, 11:02 PM
advan7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having, and hope you get everything straightened out. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I'll be doing mine soon too, and hopefully don't come across anything too bad.
Old 08-24-05, 03:36 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear about your problems, but you don't need to remove the sway bar end links to change the shocks/springs.
Old 08-24-05, 04:19 AM
actuary
Driver

I realized I didn't need to remove the sway bar end links so I didn't for the other side.
Old 08-24-05, 06:19 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by actuary
I realized I didn't need to remove the sway bar end links so I didn't for the other side.

I feel your pain bro!!!! I helped No2Faber do a Tokico setup on his SC3 and man was that a PITA!!! Not that it's actually a hard thing to do as much as wehn you hit a frozen bolt and things like that!!! All I can say is air tools help BIG TIME!!!!
Old 08-24-05, 11:37 AM
sc.Fred
Instructor

yea that sucks man.. i recently installed suspension into my whip and the bolt holding the rear sway on the passenger side was hella bent and warped so by the time i took it out, there was no point in putting it back in... so i'm driving around with no Rear sway... time to upgrade!

Also, the front was a ***** too.. especially on the drivers side because we had to take out the winshield wiper fluid resevoir (spelling?) because it was in the way.. looks nice though, pix will be posted soon!
Old 08-25-05, 08:32 AM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to hear about that, good luck man
Old 09-02-05, 08:42 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by actuary
A couple friends and I attempted to install an eibach/tokico setup on my SC300 today. We only got to finish the back since we hit so many problems. First, removing the sway bar end link was pretty impossible. I ended up stripping the key that holds the bolt on the end link and so probably need to go and get a new end link from Lexus tomorrow. Next, while torquing a caliper bolt (manual specifies 25 ft-lbs but I read 77 somewhere else and made a mistake) the bolt broke in half. To finish off, one of my caliper mounts (torque plate) has the sliding pin locked up so I think I need to replace the whole mount since I can''t pull the sliding pin out. I hope I can get the caliper mount from a parts store, it will probably be really expensive from the dealer.
The 25 ft/lb torque is for the caliper bolts (14 mm) and the 77 ft/lb torque is for the caliper mounting plate bolts (17 mm) . I guess you confused that though. I used a different approach to remove the rear shocks. I used an emergency car jack (from a Honda) & clamped it to the upper control arm. On top of the jack, I put 7"x3"x1.5" wood block and held it by hand. Then, I raised the jack so that the jack & the wood block will push down the upper control arm to leave room for the shock removal. That's how I took out the shocks without removing anything except the bolts & nuts attached to the shocks. That's a little risky but it's fast.