Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen GS front control arm bushings - review thread (final)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 09:56 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
what did you put the anti-sieze on? I thought anti-sieze was only used on aluminum parts, not steel.
I put it on the end of the bushings for the rear sway, and also on the bar on either side of the bushing. On the front I used the PTFE spray, to see which method works better. Both were equal so far, no squeaks.

Henry, when I originally put the bars in I lubed the crap out of them with the white grease. That stuff is the stickiest, can't get off your hands grease I've ever seen. I really didn't want to take the bushings out again.... My bigger concern though is putting more poly bushings in and having the problem be 4 times as bad. I know there are other threads on the squeaky sway bar thing, but you should hear my car, sounds like it's 97 years old with arthritis.
Old 01-23-06, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I put it on the end of the bushings for the rear sway, and also on the bar on either side of the bushing. On the front I used the PTFE spray, to see which method works better. Both were equal so far, no squeaks.

Henry, when I originally put the bars in I lubed the crap out of them with the white grease. That stuff is the stickiest, can't get off your hands grease I've ever seen. I really didn't want to take the bushings out again.... My bigger concern though is putting more poly bushings in and having the problem be 4 times as bad. I know there are other threads on the squeaky sway bar thing, but you should hear my car, sounds like it's 97 years old with arthritis.
hahhaaa, that's why you put on latex gloves!

anyway, serious now. try to talk to todd at tm engineering and see what he thinks. i talked to him about the bushings and the required lube before. he stressed couple of times that the specific type of lube has to be used. he said indeed the kind for daizen bushings are the stickiest and most durable ones he has seen so far. he said the poly bushings are very sensitive to "dryness", if it's dry it will squeak like hell. that's why he used those. and he said these are very good as water proof, which is very important coz' the underbody of the car get quite some "water" during rain or so.

oh and for the record, i did accidently got some grease on my finger (without gloves).... let's just say i had a very tough time getting them off too
Old 01-23-06, 01:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh another thing to keep in mind. there are quite a few people with the daizen bushings on their ls400 or sc300/400, and must have been a lot of miles since they were released much longer ago. maybe you can see the sc and ls forums and see if there are considerable amount of people with issues on noise?
Old 01-23-06, 02:01 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The grease from Daizen is great but over time and with different wet weather and road conditions, it will eventually get lessened. I had mine for about 2 yrs before it started to sqeak a bit. I brought it in to Todd to get it "freshened up."
Old 01-23-06, 08:51 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engin ear: Cool, I think we're talking about two different things here. Just glad that you were using the supplied stuff.
Old 01-24-06, 12:58 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ordered my set of Daizen bushings. I decided that this was SOOOO important that I'm gonna worry about how I'm getting them on later. Worse comes to worse, I can hack on them with an air chisel with the best of them. Though I'd much rather identify a guy in the area that will do it. If anybody finds anyone in the central/south Jersey area or Philly let me know!
Old 01-25-06, 05:30 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta
IYeah it cost me 1000 dollars for install,.
$1000 in labor?!? how am i going to afford this
Old 01-25-06, 05:42 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ARISTO 161
you do not wanna spend 1200 dollars on installing something that isnt worth a thenth of that
No one wants to spend that much....imo.

With that said, who made this a DIY project? Any advice? tips? tricks? to share.

I just ordered mines....I got the tools. Is it a one man job?

Pete
Old 01-25-06, 05:47 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
No one wants to spend that much....imo.

With that said, who made this a DIY project? Any advice? tips? tricks? to share.

I just ordered mines....I got the tools. Is it a one man job?

Pete
pete

one man it is but you must have a air chisel with a strong compressor , you need a press for the castor arms aside from time to get them out its not that hard .....

i have mastered the removal tech and i do the castor arms within 30mins and lower control arms each 20mins
Old 01-25-06, 06:01 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
pete

one man it is but you must have a air chisel with a strong compressor , you need a press for the castor arms aside from time to get them out its not that hard .....

i have mastered the removal tech and i do the castor arms within 30mins and lower control arms each 20mins
Dude, where's your instructional video? LOL!!

I got 33 gallon compressor and air chisel.

No press though. Can i use a huge C-clamp and large washers to squeeze them in?

Take pics the next time you swap arms with someone.

Pete
Old 01-25-06, 06:39 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

pete

are you doing this for other listmembers? i have no cores
Old 01-26-06, 06:25 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
are you doing this for other listmembers? i have no cores
no i have not begun that process for clublexus management reqs me to become a vendor first but if i have solid concrete interest i will reconsider doing it for turnaround time for me would be within 1 week and all you would have to pay is labor to change arms maybe 2 hrs if that compared to prices i have seen people paying for the whole job
Old 01-26-06, 07:17 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

no i have not begun that process for clublexus management reqs me to become a vendor first but if i have solid concrete interest i will reconsider doing it for turnaround time for me would be within 1 week and all you would have to pay is labor to change arms maybe 2 hrs if that compared to prices i have seen people paying for the whole job
what do you have in mind? i'm hoping you will do a core exchange setup because i don't think anyone is going to let me leave my car sitting around for a week.

(i've also msn'd you)
Old 01-26-06, 03:52 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<sniff, sniff> smells like a money making opportunity!

or,..... another instructional, step-by-step guide like the headers!!

Old 01-26-06, 07:05 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

does anyone know what the difference is between the 98-99 (i am a 99), and the 2000-up control arms are? daizen lists separate part numbers for each.

the reason i'm asking is because someone is selling parts from a 01 and i'm not sure if they will work on my 99

Quick Reply: Daizen GS front control arm bushings - review thread (final)