Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen GS front control arm bushings - review thread (final)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 08:39 AM
pavster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSing430
i meant the steering wheel response.
Ok; this has me wondering. I am tired of my GS430's vague steering, and I have a box of Daizen bushings awaiting installation. Can you describe the change that you experienced after installing them? Thing for me is that I am also eyeing a BMW 330, and if the bushings don't do much, I might just take the plunge. I don't really want to install the bushings if they don't change anything since it's a mod that cannot be undone without a serious expense. My car has 40k miles on it, and I've done everything else I could think of, including turning off the variable steering boost controller (which made a huge difference).

thanks much!
-pavel.
Old 02-14-06, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't think you can get the 330 feel. seriously, iwouldn't put much hope.

the bushings at most will be a bit tighter than stock (new), that's all. it's just that for most of us with higher mileage, the stock bushings are worn down already, so right after replacement, the steering got tighter and much more responsive / precise. but compared to a brand new stock rubber bushing, i say it's just about the same, maybe just a tad stiffer coz' of the harder poly urethene. that's why these bushings are only recommended for cars where bushings are relatively worn
Old 02-14-06, 01:18 PM
GSing430
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
Ok; this has me wondering. I am tired of my GS430's vague steering, and I have a box of Daizen bushings awaiting installation. Can you describe the change that you experienced after installing them? Thing for me is that I am also eyeing a BMW 330, and if the bushings don't do much, I might just take the plunge. I don't really want to install the bushings if they don't change anything since it's a mod that cannot be undone without a serious expense. My car has 40k miles on it, and I've done everything else I could think of, including turning off the variable steering boost controller (which made a huge difference).

thanks much!
-pavel.
i've never driven a 330, so i can't say, as compare to my mr2 or x5, it's it's still softer, the only thing i haven't done is the ecu upgrade but i heard it came with the 01' and up, who knows, but for some reason i've drive an 03' 430 and the steering wheel felt firmer a while back,

how do you turn off the variable steering boost controller? any downside to it?
Old 02-14-06, 02:43 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i have driven a 2001 330ci. nice car. sharp reflexes with the sport package, but the auto tranny slows it down. i wonder what the current model is like...
Old 02-14-06, 10:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSing430
i've never driven a 330, so i can't say, as compare to my mr2 or x5, it's it's still softer, the only thing i haven't done is the ecu upgrade but i heard it came with the 01' and up, who knows, but for some reason i've drive an 03' 430 and the steering wheel felt firmer a while back,

how do you turn off the variable steering boost controller? any downside to it?
search for his other post in the suspension forum

and ben, the new 330? it's even better imho
Old 02-15-06, 08:32 AM
pavster
Driver

I don't recommend test driving the new 330 with SP. You will not be able to get it out of your mind. It's not as VIP as the GS, but the driving feel... the Germans really know what they are doing.

To disconnect the steering boost controller just unplug the two wire harness going into the power steering pump. The only downside I've experienced is at low speed, if the engine bogs down, the steering becomes REALLY heavy. But overall, I love the change in feel. It's a more dramatic difference that the sways/springs/shocks. Gives the steering an almost BMW-like heft.

Too bad most of you guys are in Cali; I'd love to try a GS with the Daizen bushing transplant.

-pavel.
Old 02-17-06, 05:18 AM
nicola
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to send out my bushings to get pressed in. Does anyone know if removing and installing just the upper and lower control arms (no bushing pressing) is DIY for an average person? I've installed the L-tuned S/S combo before along with axels, etc on all of my cars.
Old 02-17-06, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by nicola
I'm going to send out my bushings to get pressed in. Does anyone know if removing and installing just the upper and lower control arms (no bushing pressing) is DIY for an average person? I've installed the L-tuned S/S combo before along with axels, etc on all of my cars.
from what i heard it's a bit tougher, mainly how to align all the arms to put them in. but i don't know 100% coz' i didn't do it myself
Old 02-23-06, 11:49 PM
nicola
Driver

Has anyone in the NY area found a place to install these for a reasonable price yet?
Old 02-27-06, 03:58 PM
RIPP7399
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just ordered mine... (Daizen control arm bushings kit) from TM today ..... now to get em installed
Old 02-27-06, 04:20 PM
GS4
Driver

Default ny install shop

I just got mine installed last week at a shop in jamaica. They charged $350. My steering feels incredible. Gs tracks perfectly straight, no shacking at highway speeds and all the noises that use to come from my suspension are gone. By far the best thing I could have done. This shop is really good. They swapped out my engine for me a few months ago and have had absolutely no issues. If you want call the shop at (718) 850-5000 and ask for Gazi.

Frank

Last edited by GS4; 02-27-06 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-27-06, 04:45 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

wow that's cheap... but a little too far away for me! i wonder how much it would cost to fedex my car to jamaica and back?!?
Old 02-27-06, 05:19 PM
GS4
Driver

Default ..

Why dont you just fedex the comtrol arms to NY and include a pre paid label so they can send them back to you. If you get next day air you can have everything back to you in four days max.
Old 02-27-06, 07:00 PM
nicola
Driver

Originally Posted by GS4
I just got mine installed last week at a shop in jamaica. They charged $350. My steering feels incredible. Gs tracks perfectly straight, no shacking at highway speeds and all the noises that use to come from my suspension are gone. By far the best thing I could have done. This shop is really good. They swapped out my engine for me a few months ago and have had absolutely no issues. If you want call the shop at (718) 850-5000.

Frank
I went to the same shop and they did an amazing job - HIGHLY recommend this place. Did everything, including upper/lower bushings, strut mounts, new front shocks and front and rear sways in roughly 7 hours at an awesome price. The guys here are also really nice and talk to you like you're not a moron (even got offered a few slices of pizza at lunch). The dude who worked on my car knew what was up and this was only the 2nd Daizen bushing job he's done (Frank was the first - how is your big brake kit ). So yea - if you're in NY, and need these installed, or for that matter, anything, check these guys out. I'm in the Bronx and it was totally worth the drive out there, and I'll continue to do so for all my mods.
Old 02-27-06, 07:17 PM
GS4
Driver

Nicola,
My big brake kit never got installed because the rotors didnt sit well on the hub. I have had three issues with this brake kit so far. First I was missing bolts- couldnt do the install. Second the bolts they sent me for the two piece rotors were not long enough- second install opportunity is ruined. Now my rotors do not sit properly- Now i am returning the kit and getting my money back. Hopefully will have my brake kit in by next week and go back to his shop to do the install. How do you like the bushings? Which lex in the shop was yours?

Quick Reply: Daizen GS front control arm bushings - review thread (final)