Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen GS front control arm bushings - review thread (final)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-05, 10:56 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleWhoosh
Oh yeah and also be very sure to radius or round the inside edges on the strut rod. If not, the arm will cut the bushing and cause some serious bushing failure.

Ok I have to stop typing and go lie down, I actually just made myself on the verge of yakking after breaking in a stoptech brake kit on a car. BLEHHHHHHHH

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help.
Eh? Aren't brakes supposed to be broken in? Or are you talking about something else?
Old 10-02-05, 06:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jefftsai
Eh? Aren't brakes supposed to be broken in? Or are you talking about something else?
don't worry, he was talking to me
Old 10-04-05, 12:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

so this is my final update and feedback on this. finally today i got my car aligned. something happened to the new tire on my new wheels and that kinda took some time. but anyway, after installing the bushings of course alignment went off and i had to get a full alignment done to make sure the car drives right in the best possible condition.

to be honest the alignment did took away all the pulling i had, and the car ride quieter coz' now the tires are fixing the right direction.

handling and driving wise in terms of suspensions i think it's about the same. but now i can focus even more on where to go rather than adjusting the steering wheel.

the car really drives good now. it's been over a month (and over 2000 miles driving) and there is absolutely ZERO vibrations, no shimming, no harshness road feel. eveything is smooth, steering is tighter, very precise and very responsive. it really gives me back the feeling when i first got the car with 30k miles, possibly better. the car just handles so well now.

lately i have been getting at least 2 to 3 pms every day about these bushings, and actually a lot of time are concerned about the difficulty on the install, the cost, etc... i think i will try to give my 2 cents.

it is definitely hard to install, i saw part of it, i could tell already. i will leave the technical part to todd (he posted some very useful tips) and other mechanics

in terms of cost, yes the labor cost might seem to be a big chunk of money there. however you have to see the big picture. the bushings themselves are only slightly over 100 bucks. that's CHEAP! together with labor, it's still cheaper, or at most as expensive, as getting all new control arms + installations. HOWEVER, you get a setup that's more durable and drives a lot better than stock setup (less play in the bushings). so what's there to lose?

and you already see how much i love my bushings setup on the car. recently ed (lexforlife) posted his installations and experience and seems like he's liking these bushings a lot as well. and this is from a guy who not too long ago changed out most of the control arms to new ones.

i am sure in the coming weeks we are going to see more and more people with feedback on the bushings. it would defiitely be nice to see more feedback and how people like them.
Old 10-04-05, 03:12 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome! great news henry! now when my bushings get more worn...I will definitely look into that as well
Old 10-04-05, 04:33 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so this is my final update and feedback on this. finally today i got my car aligned. something happened to the new tire on my new wheels and that kinda took some time. but anyway, after installing the bushings of course alignment went off and i had to get a full alignment done to make sure the car drives right in the best possible condition.

to be honest the alignment did took away all the pulling i had, and the car ride quieter coz' now the tires are fixing the right direction.

handling and driving wise in terms of suspensions i think it's about the same. but now i can focus even more on where to go rather than adjusting the steering wheel.

the car really drives good now. it's been over a month (and over 2000 miles driving) and there is absolutely ZERO vibrations, no shimming, no harshness road feel. eveything is smooth, steering is tighter, very precise and very responsive. it really gives me back the feeling when i first got the car with 30k miles, possibly better. the car just handles so well now.

lately i have been getting at least 2 to 3 pms every day about these bushings, and actually a lot of time are concerned about the difficulty on the install, the cost, etc... i think i will try to give my 2 cents.

it is definitely hard to install, i saw part of it, i could tell already. i will leave the technical part to todd (he posted some very useful tips) and other mechanics

in terms of cost, yes the labor cost might seem to be a big chunk of money there. however you have to see the big picture. the bushings themselves are only slightly over 100 bucks. that's CHEAP! together with labor, it's still cheaper, or at most as expensive, as getting all new control arms + installations. HOWEVER, you get a setup that's more durable and drives a lot better than stock setup (less play in the bushings). so what's there to lose?

and you already see how much i love my bushings setup on the car. recently ed (lexforlife) posted his installations and experience and seems like he's liking these bushings a lot as well. and this is from a guy who not too long ago changed out most of the control arms to new ones.

i am sure in the coming weeks we are going to see more and more people with feedback on the bushings. it would defiitely be nice to see more feedback and how people like them.
henry you are so right about these bushings.. Daizen and todd certainly hit a home run with these bushings.. its kinda like when they relased their sways ...yes i have changed out all arms to new , but nothing compares to the feeling as henry described when i installed the cator/strut rod bushing.. this was the only one i have changed so far and that took away all the negative driving feelings i had up front.. although my stuff was new it still just did not feel quite right.. well way back last year when i ichanged my caster arms because i saw tearing in the bushing, i too realized this was a huge weakness in the front end and probably was the largest part of why it felt somewhat distorted but people i never imagined it was this huge..that oem bushing had tooo nuch play or give built into the design for luxury purposes i would guess.. after lowering the car and going with larger wheels you start to really notice the distortion .. these bushings removed all of it and that on and off vibration is 100% gone , not even a trace .. even cold tire warmup is barely felt for about .5 of a mile it does not shake the steering wheel , all you feel is like you have a slight flat which is what your supposed to feel sometimes from the tires flatspotting before warm up.

next week i will do the upper arms but will hold off on the lower control arm bushings until i am ready for a new alignment only because my lower control arms are only a month old ..but imo the castor arm and upper a arm should deliver 98% of the work.

install of the bushings is alot of work .. removal of the old ones without damaging the arms is critical and installing of the new one even more critical as to not damage or split during install into the arm

great job Daizen and todd you guys need to get this done asap and dont be afraid of the cost so much , its a must must must do for all perf minded drivers as well as those who have lost the love of driving their cars because of the dreaded shimmy
Old 10-04-05, 08:00 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

are the castor bushings 2 pieces pressed in from the upper and lower surfaces? if so...maybe you can get a bolt and nut and two large washers to press in one bushing at a time...we do metal bushings that way here at work..just an idea
Old 10-04-05, 10:04 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sockfocks
are the castor bushings 2 pieces pressed in from the upper and lower surfaces? if so...maybe you can get a bolt and nut and two large washers to press in one bushing at a time...we do metal bushings that way here at work..just an idea
'
no sir its one piece poly bushings that must be evenly pressed in with a hydraulic press i just happen to have one at home
Old 10-04-05, 11:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

and in fact, if i am correct, ALL the 4 bushings (2 upper arm, 1 lower one, and 1 caster arm or strut arm) are pressed in (the stock ones). that's why they are all so hella hard to get out

and thank you so much for your feedback too ed. initially i was a bit scared about posting my feedback just by my own. i do know what i feel, but one data point isn't just enough sometimes. it's always good to hear more people talk about it.

and i think it's a good thing you change them out one by one ed. that way you know the gain bit by bit and it's a lot more fun
Old 10-04-05, 11:57 AM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ONE piece?....things arent lookin so easy now.... hmm....theres more than one way to skin a cat......
ahem....anyone have an extra Franklin to spare?....lol
Did anyone try to grease the hell out of it before pressing in?....juss wondering if ppl have tried that yet...

Last edited by sockfocks; 10-04-05 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-04-05, 01:21 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
'
no sir its one piece poly bushings that must be evenly pressed in with a hydraulic press i just happen to have one at home
so ed, if I buy some you want to help put them in for me? I don't know if I'd trust a mechanic around here to do it.
Old 10-04-05, 02:04 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckb
so ed, if I buy some you want to help put them in for me? I don't know if I'd trust a mechanic around here to do it.

i am still thinking about doing a swap program seeing that i have a spare set of arms for the castor

what i would need to see is how many people would want to do this .. this is the hardest part of the job removing the arm and reinstalling is easy
Old 10-04-05, 03:00 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they have bushings for just the 98 and 99's? Or do they have bushings for all the 2000+ cars too?
Old 10-04-05, 03:49 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Do they have bushings for just the 98 and 99's? Or do they have bushings for all the 2000+ cars too?
For now, only 98-99. For once, the older cars get something first.
Old 10-04-05, 09:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

the 00+ are coming out very soon as well
Old 10-14-05, 11:17 PM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Soon
Having mine installed tomorrow.
Along with new ball joints and Tie Rod ends.

Quick Reply: Daizen GS front control arm bushings - review thread (final)