Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Frustrated and angry....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 09:32 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
yeah you should be ready for front end overhaul bro i am just above that and thats all south florida driving from birth and mine as stated above were shot balljoints tie rod ends and castor arms and lower control arm bushings were all toast

mind you i bought my car with about 4ok from a local owner whos wife drove the car stock .. since i have lowered and used larger wheels it has accelerated the wear on these items
I've seen Ed's old tie rods and all i can say guys is that thing was ate up.. We shouldn't wait that much longer since alot of us are coming up to 60 - 70k on our cars...
Old 08-25-05, 09:36 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I've seen Ed's old tie rods and all i can say guys is that thing was ate up.. We shouldn't wait that much longer since alot of us are coming up to 60 - 70k on our cars...

thats right tony i did show you the tir rod ends and do you remember the busted drivers side ball joint that was ready to fall apart

jeff

the stealership will rape you like theres no tomm on this .. goto to a high end independant shop that knows japanses cars and let them give you a deal .. the dealer will charge by the book and hit you up for around 6-8hrs at around $90-100 a hr

its easy work once you have the right tools and air tools is a must on this project
Old 08-25-05, 09:37 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right after I got my front end overhauled, I still notice some shakes from 55-65mph. Took the car in for a real true wheel balance and presto. I'm still grinning.
I still feel MINIMAL shake and will put in hubcentric hubs and will torque all wheels this weekend.
Yes I AM ****

car has been in texas till 55k
55k-60k its been in NYC
Old 08-25-05, 09:41 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
right after I got my front end overhauled, I still notice some shakes from 55-65mph. Took the car in for a real true wheel balance and presto. I'm still grinning.
I still feel MINIMAL shake and will put in hubcentric hubs and will torque all wheels this weekend.
Yes I AM ****

car has been in texas till 55k
55k-60k its been in NYC

bro you never get 100% with aftermarket wheels and tires .. i have driven jags that shimmy like theres no tomm and i have driven a brand new 745 and vibrates like hell imagaine that for $110k and brand new

but you can decrease the feeling by 98% in my book i am happier driver now as well in fact i look for reasons to run to the store now
Old 08-25-05, 09:52 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Ok I am going to have my shop that does my work do this for me. Now should I let them get the parts or should I get them direct from Lexus?
Also Ed if it isnt to much to ask, could you just list everything I need to ask for. Thanks bro.
Old 08-25-05, 10:00 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Ok I am going to have my shop that does my work do this for me. Now should I let them get the parts or should I get them direct from Lexus?
Also Ed if it isnt to much to ask, could you just list everything I need to ask for. Thanks bro.
definately buy the parts yourself.
www.lexus-parts.com is cheapest

control arms
castor arms
ball joints
outter tie rods

Sorry I dont have part numbers
Old 08-25-05, 10:03 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

my pleasure jeff

yes get the parts as a deal with steve i am sure he will hook you up

lower ball joints left and right

outer tie rod ends left and right

castor arms left and right

lower front control arms left and right

i paid total about 825 in parts for all the above
Old 08-25-05, 10:47 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Thanks bro, i really appreciate all the help. Hopefully and I really mean hopefully this will solve most of my problem.
Old 08-25-05, 10:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Is there anyway this could be the wheels? I mean they are only 1 season used and they are forged so I would be sick if it were. i really dont think it is the wheels because the fact remains last year when I put my snow tires on I had the same problem.
I would have your wheels checks to see if there's ANY bend in them. Even a very slight one can cause problems. Also, are the iForged ones you have on your car hubcentric or did they come with rings to put inside or on your hubs? If they're not hub centric I think balance and vibration will always be a challenge.

For what it's worth I have 58K on my GS400 - I've beaten the snot out of the suspension (stock, then L-Tuned, now Tein Flex coilovers) and am not aware of any damage to ball joints, bushings, tie rods, etc., although that doesn't mean they're not damaged. I'm running 19s and the car is low (barely any fender to tire gap) and I have NO vibration at any speed, except when the tires are stone cold and have been sitting for a couple of days, then I'll have the usual 'flat spot' that goes away after about a mile or two of driving depending upon the temperature outside.

My rims are hubcentric (HRE) and the car was balanced with on car high speed tests (up to 130mph I believe).

So hang in there... you'll get it figured out. I know it's frustrating!
Old 08-25-05, 10:56 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

See Bit this is what I mean. I am convinced it is the suspension and what not but then people say it HAS to be the wheels. This is what aggravates me is that there is no set answer for my problem. I think I am going to have someone inspect the whole front end and see what they say.

IF in fact it is a wheel issue I am going to be severely disappointed.
Old 08-25-05, 11:07 AM
NoS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friend its not the car but the road. Some highways here make my lexus bump like crazy and other portion make it smooth as butter.
Old 08-25-05, 11:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lexis11, with my other thread on the bushings coming out, why still spend the money to get all the new arms? just curious
Old 08-25-05, 11:44 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Rom,
Nah man if your solution works then I am defenitley going to do that. I think if I do the ball joints(cheap) and the bushings that may help and save some money at the same time.
Do you have an idea of when they will be available?
Old 08-25-05, 12:12 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just for your'all's reference, you can get a good idea of where vibration is coming from in this way:

If the steering wheel is shaking or vibrating, it is something to do with the front suspension. If it is only under braking, most likely it is something to do with the brakes (but not always).

If your butt or the seat or the floor is vibrating, it is usually the rear suspension or something towards the back.

If it is a vibration within a certain window (like say 60 to 75) then a cyclic problem like that is usually something out of round, or not lined up properly (such as with wheels that do not have their hub centering rings, or also out of round tires). There is also the possibility of driveline problems, those show up around 60 or so, and disappear around 70-75. These are definitely cyclic raar raar raar raar vibrations, and these are VERY bad! They can damage your transmission, engine, rear end, everything. This problem is usually caused by a bent or damaged or out of balance driveshaft. Or with these IRS cars, a misaligned driveline can be the case, as the engine/transmission, driveshaft and rear end must be perfectly in line with each other - they don't have u-joints the way a straight axle car does so they are not as able to operate in misaligned situations very well.

The driveshaft has some shims on the center carrier bearing, sometimes a mechanic may forget to put these back in, or may mistake them as washers and put them on under the bolt rather then between the carrier bearing and the body! Also the rubber items holding the rear end or rear subframe can deteriorate, causing the same problem.

These problems are not easy to diagnose without a lot of experience, so beyond this info it's hard to give any more tips on what the problem might be.

Hope this helps though!

TM Engineering
Old 08-25-05, 12:15 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Todd thanks man, it's Jeff from Mass. I havent talked to you in a while but will be calling you today or tomm bro.

Quick Reply: Frustrated and angry....