Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Frustrated and angry....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 06:34 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated and angry....

Ok with all these threads on bushings and control arms and what not I figured I would ask this question.

I have had my car for 2 years. I have had this vibration on the highway for a while now. When I am driving I look over at the passenger side and it is shaking vigourously. My girlfriend makes fun of me saying this lexus is shaking like a leaf.
So now after many balances and with numerous sets of wheels it continues to it. I am so frustrated I called Lexus to get a whole new car but then I look at my car and just love it so much.

So my question is do I just do the whole front end over (bushings, control arms, ball joints etc?) I am really at a loss of what to do so any insight would be awesome.

Oh and i should tell you this, the shaking is in the car not the steering wheel. It is a weird shaking like it moves in a circle. It will shake go away shake go away, very weird.
Old 08-25-05, 07:07 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a vibration problem because one of my new tires were out of round. took three rebalances and finally 2 new tires (warranty) to fix. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175502

It's funny you mention it, but at 78mph you could also see my passenger seat shaking. I've read others say the same thing. I now put my hand on the passenger seat to check for vibrations while driving.

I think if you feel it in the seat like that it means the problem is in the rear tires?? maybe not, anyone know?

I a side note, my 95 ES with 90k miles has never had any vibration, what gives? our GS's are super sensitive...
Old 08-25-05, 08:19 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

jeff

it seems that i have started a trend with the front obession , but my obseeion with getting the susp just right seems to have paid off with my car. i have done balljoints tie rods castor arms and now just last lower control arms , and now my car tracks true and straight now shimmy vibration or anything

however from time to time if i accelerate fast from say 40 on up through 80 i sometimes do get a little sensation in the body or seat. i am afraid to say (for fear of starting a obsession with the rear stuff) that ihave inspected the rear susp arms and bushings on the rear of our cars and i believe its coming from 2 places . the upper a arm balljoint takes alot of forces esp since car was designed with neg camber and the main culprit is the axle xarrier bushing , those wear fast because of the lateral forces (accelerate , brake) it must absorb.

i will be looking into these soon as well but my sensations are so slight since i have tightened the nut on the upper a arm balljoint and i have trq down the joint for the axle carrier bushing

again its just my opinion and i believe its correct for remember guys this car was made for luxury fiorst perf second so bushings and stuff are soft and made to absorb shock for that comfort factor lowering and placing large 19 and 20 in and 10 in wide wheels on there accel the wear factor as well as make these sensations more pronounced
Old 08-25-05, 08:39 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

So Ed, do you think because of the coilovers and wide wheels it has worn away the suspension quicker? Either way how much did you spend do fix all thse problems, because I tell you this if in fact I do replace all thse parts and the thing still shakes it is going right over the cliff, no joking either.
Old 08-25-05, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

actually the vibration you talked about, i had it even when i first got the car with only 30k miles. i noticed that the pessenger seat was vibrating all the time when the car runs. that was on stock wheels and stock suspension. the funny thing is i didn't feel any vibration inside my car myself, i just saw the seat vibrating.

ever since i got coilovers and wheels and other suspensions part, the car has just gotten more silkier ride. that's why i was blaming it on the stock wheel setup in fact.

have a good alignment shop check out your car and see how the bushings are doing. if you are absolutely sure about the wheels and springs/shocks being ok, then i think bushings and such should be next. those arms are very heavy duty and unless you crash your car, i don't think they will change
Old 08-25-05, 08:50 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexis11
So Ed, do you think because of the coilovers and wide wheels it has worn away the suspension quicker? Either way how much did you spend do fix all thse problems, because I tell you this if in fact I do replace all thse parts and the thing still shakes it is going right over the cliff, no joking either.

Lowering the car and larger rims will put alot more stress into the suspension components.
I have just changed tie rods, ball joints, control arms and parts cost about 500-600? and install was in the $400 range.
My main reason to change all this was for safety reasons and peace of mind.
Old 08-25-05, 08:57 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

okay jeff

lets start here , when wheels balanced how low did they get the road force number anything over 10lbs tends to give off vibrations

second , alignments did you make sure the rear neg camber was on the inner most part of the spectrum and how much tire pressure you running , i do 38-39 in the rear because of neg camber kinda keeps the car rolling more in the center tread

third , make sure shock support mounting bolts are trqed properly , book says around 45lbs i do about 55 ftlbs because its no longer stock

how many miles on your car

you are up north in and around pothole city so you are rapidly wearing the front end down

i say do the front end overhaul , it will eliminate 98% of what you are exp right now and give you 110% ride satisfaction and perf . it will feel brand new again i promise bro
Old 08-25-05, 09:04 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
actually the vibration you talked about, i had it even when i first got the car with only 30k miles. i noticed that the pessenger seat was vibrating all the time when the car runs. that was on stock wheels and stock suspension. the funny thing is i didn't feel any vibration inside my car myself, i just saw the seat vibrating.

ever since i got coilovers and wheels and other suspensions part, the car has just gotten more silkier ride. that's why i was blaming it on the stock wheel setup in fact.

have a good alignment shop check out your car and see how the bushings are doing. if you are absolutely sure about the wheels and springs/shocks being ok, then i think bushings and such should be next. those arms are very heavy duty and unless you crash your car, i don't think they will change
good points henry however its not the arm itself its the rubber bushings inside..

and to those who think you can do a grab tire and shake thing to determine if these components are bad , you are in for a sad surprise.

you guys should have seen my lower control arm bushings , they were torned 3/4 of the way around the inner and outer sleeves allowing for alot of movement under load but while they were in there i used a huge pry bar to see if i got movement within bushing and got no indication until i took a flashlight and looked way up into the bushing and saw indication of cracking in the rubber , thats all i needed to fire up the compressor and go to work

i wanted to take pics of the old arm but camera will not pick up the tears and cracks
Old 08-25-05, 09:10 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Ed,

I have no idea about those numbers on wheel balance and camber. i have never asked the shop those questions ya know.

The car does not pull to one side or back and forth it is a shaking in the car under me that annoys me, like i said it shakes goes away shakes goes away. Is there anyway this could be the wheels? I mean they are only 1 season used and they are forged so I would be sick if it were. i really dont think it is the wheels because the fact remains last year when I put my snow tires on I had the same problem.
It has to be the suspension oparts you speak of Ed no?
Old 08-25-05, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
good points henry however its not the arm itself its the rubber bushings inside..

and to those who think you can do a grab tire and shake thing to determine if these components are bad , you are in for a sad surprise.

you guys should have seen my lower control arm bushings , they were torned 3/4 of the way around the inner and outer sleeves allowing for alot of movement under load but while they were in there i used a huge pry bar to see if i got movement within bushing and got no indication until i took a flashlight and looked way up into the bushing and saw indication of cracking in the rubber , thats all i needed to fire up the compressor and go to work

i wanted to take pics of the old arm but camera will not pick up the tears and cracks
yeah i know it's the bushings, ed, that's why i changed mine right?

what i was trying to say is, with toyota oem parts, all you can do is replace the arms, that's the only way to get the new bushings. you can't get just the bushings, which would be a lot cheaper
Old 08-25-05, 09:18 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah i know it's the bushings, ed, that's why i changed mine right?

what i was trying to say is, with toyota oem parts, all you can do is replace the arms, that's the only way to get the new bushings. you can't get just the bushings, which would be a lot cheaper

my bad i misunderstood your post
Old 08-25-05, 09:19 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Ed,

I have no idea about those numbers on wheel balance and camber. i have never asked the shop those questions ya know.

The car does not pull to one side or back and forth it is a shaking in the car under me that annoys me, like i said it shakes goes away shakes goes away. Is there anyway this could be the wheels? I mean they are only 1 season used and they are forged so I would be sick if it were. i really dont think it is the wheels because the fact remains last year when I put my snow tires on I had the same problem.
It has to be the suspension oparts you speak of Ed no?

jeff how many miles on your car right now
Old 08-25-05, 09:22 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

66k right now Ed
Old 08-25-05, 09:26 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

66k right now Ed

yeah you should be ready for front end overhaul bro i am just above that and thats all south florida driving from birth and mine as stated above were shot balljoints tie rod ends and castor arms and lower control arm bushings were all toast

mind you i bought my car with about 4ok from a local owner whos wife drove the car stock .. since i have lowered and used larger wheels it has accelerated the wear on these items
Old 08-25-05, 09:32 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Ok so now the question of who I should look to to do this work? I certainly can;t do it and i want to have it done right so should I have the dealer do it?

Quick Reply: Frustrated and angry....