Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LCA needs bushings, but what about balljoints?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-05, 10:44 PM
J J
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished doing one side...what a PITA. Atleast the balljoint turned out to be perfect. The front bushing was ok but the rear was completly shot.

Burning out the midle section takes no time. To get the remainder of the stuck rubber on the inside takes forever. I would sugest to get the kit with the sleaves, that way you can just push the sleaves out and not have to worry about all the rubber left overs.
Old 09-04-05, 01:42 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
thats great news.

I ordered some new 94 Supra front LCA's from Carson Toyota. Their price was great . $442 US shipped to Canada. Thats about 650 CDN after taxes compared to my local dealer who quoted me about 800 CDN total after taxes!
Thanks SCV8
If you meant $442 is for both front LCAs, then that's a go. I had to pay $100 for Daizen bushings, $40 for a good pitman puller, $10 for a torch kit, $5 for washers, and the whole weekend. Also, I still have to worry about the balljoints could go bad in the future, although I regreased them. What you paid for is awesome comparing to $400 per Lexus arm.
Old 09-04-05, 11:26 AM
J J
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
If you meant $442 is for both front LCAs, then that's a go. I had to pay $100 for Daizen bushings, $40 for a good pitman puller, $10 for a torch kit, $5 for washers, and the whole weekend. Also, I still have to worry about the balljoints could go bad in the future, although I regreased them. What you paid for is awesome comparing to $400 per Lexus arm.
What are the washers for?

I already had the torch but had to go and get a $5 wire brush attachment for my drill. I didn't use a puller.

Considering the time I spent on this it would have made financial sense to have a shop do it and just to put in same hours I just spent at work. Or just getting the complete arms new.
Old 09-04-05, 09:25 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep 442 US for both sides ! Its funny how the Lexus LCA's are nearly double the price

Now I'm very happy with the choice to go oem. However if my other bushings on the rear and front upper go bad it will be daizen all the way.
Old 09-04-05, 10:25 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J J
What are the washers for?

I already had the torch but had to go and get a $5 wire brush attachment for my drill. I didn't use a puller.

Considering the time I spent on this it would have made financial sense to have a shop do it and just to put in same hours I just spent at work. Or just getting the complete arms new.
Oh, right! I forgot to mention the costs of the sand paper and the wire brush. Anyway, the washers are the big & thick ones that just cover right over the hole of the core while they're still smaller in diameter of the sleeve. I used the pitman puller, placed its tip over the washer hole while the arm held the sleeve to push out the core and rubber. I actually used only 1 washer at a time. If the rubber is heated, it would take less than 3 minutes to push out the core. Tip for cleaning the burned rubber. Use the throttle body cleaner. It's faster than other solvents that I used.
Old 09-04-05, 10:54 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevechumo
442 shipped?? When I called, the guy said the pricing for CL members is 440 + tax. I couldnt get a hold of Steve Ganz though because he never answer his fone. How much did u guys get the arms for total from Carson?
Old 09-06-05, 02:43 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

That is correct. I'm in Canada so I don't pay any tax. Once it crosses the border I have to pay 7% provincial, 7% gst and 6% duty. So I'll still have to pay 20% tax when it arrives here.

I see your in CA so you will have to pay all the taxes including state tax.