Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

LCA needs bushings, but what about balljoints?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-05, 08:10 AM
J J
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCA needs bushings, but what about balljoints?

My "new" car is allover the road and I need LCA bushing for sure. But what if I discover that I need the balljoints too? Are those avaiable separatly from somewhere? I'd really hate to buy bushings, discover I need baljoints too and still need to buy the whole LCA from the dealer.

ALso, where is the quickest place to order the bushings from? I need to do this ASAP before I kill myself .....fwy driving right now is scary.
Old 08-31-05, 08:59 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a set of supra LCAs for the front. ~$400 for a set of two...includes new LCA, balljoints, and bushings from carson toyota. it's probably around the same cost as a mechanic replacing just the bushings because of all the labor involved.

search and you'll find some more info. good luck
Old 08-31-05, 09:04 AM
Goose
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, search for LCA bushings, there's a lot of threads about them. I also need a set of bushings, and apparently Carson Toyota sells them for $39 a piece. I emailed Steve about them on Monday, but he still hasn't replied, anyone know their phone number?
Old 08-31-05, 09:53 AM
J J
Driver

I've already searched before posting, not finding anything about replacement balljoints. I dont want to pay $400 for replacement LCAs if I dont have to. Also, the replacement LCA would have weak factory rubber bushings again.

BTW labor cost is not an issue, since I'm doing it myself.
Old 08-31-05, 10:36 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J J
BTW labor cost is not an issue, since I'm doing it myself.
So then take it all apart and SEE what exactly is in need of repair instead of guessing. Someone already said to just buy the Supra arms if you're worried about the BJ's, but you don't want to do that even though it's the most cost effective method of fixing this issue.

Someone else wanted the number for Carson Toyota, which can be easily found by searching. C'mon guys..all the info you need is here at your fingertips. The number for Carson Toyota is #310.522.2300...This is a throughly discussed topic so there isn't anything new I can tell you that isn't already here on the forum

Your choices are:

1. Buy Vlamos bushings for $350
2. Buy Daizen bushings for $100 and pay someone $300-$500 to install them
3. Buy Supra lca's and install those yourself $420
4. Buy OEM bushings for $39 each and have them installed for like $300-$500
Old 08-31-05, 12:47 PM
J J
Driver

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
So then take it all apart and SEE what exactly is in need of repair instead of guessing. Someone already said to just buy the Supra arms if you're worried about the BJ's, but you don't want to do that even though it's the most cost effective method of fixing this issue.
Leaving my car in pieces while waiting for parts is not an option, nor doing the job twice.

The best and most cost efficeint way of fixing it would be to get the bushings and the balljoints, hence my question for a source for the balljoints.

I guess my questions should have been - Is there a source for the balljoints. Looks like the answer is no.
Old 08-31-05, 02:13 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikeloc24

Someone else wanted the number for Carson Toyota, which can be easily found by searching. C'mon guys..all the info you need is here at your fingertips. The number for Carson Toyota is #310.522.2300...This is a throughly discussed topic so there isn't anything new I can tell you that isn't already here on the forum

Your choices are:

1. Buy Vlamos bushings for $350
2. Buy Daizen bushings for $100 and pay someone $300-$500 to install them
3. Buy Supra lca's and install those yourself $420
4. Buy OEM bushings for $39 each and have them installed for like $300-$500
Mike, other than cost of the parts, what is the difference in labor between option 2 and opion 3? For option 3, unlike option 2, u said that its DIY job. How much would the labor be approximately at a shop for option 3? Would it be much less than option 2?
Old 08-31-05, 03:08 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J J
Leaving my car in pieces while waiting for parts is not an option, nor doing the job twice.

The best and most cost efficeint way of fixing it would be to get the bushings and the balljoints, hence my question for a source for the balljoints.

I guess my questions should have been - Is there a source for the balljoints. Looks like the answer is no.
I had a lot of researches before but never found a place that has a separate ball joints for Lexus. That sucks! I carefully looked at the ball joints but didn't think there's a way to replace it. If the ball joints are gone, then the whole control arms are in order. I only replaced the bushings and regreased the ball joints hoping they'll last a little more. If the ball joint dust boots are torn, as in my case, I used the Weather Strip Adhesive to cover them up. They worked.
Old 08-31-05, 03:12 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

i've searched high and low and could not find just the balljoints for sale for the SC. I know they are available for the GS and some other cars but I don't they are available for the SC. gonna have to buy the entire control arm.
Old 08-31-05, 05:27 PM
SC4Million
Driver

The resaon noone has ever found a list for SC ball joints for sale is.......

they don't exist.

The BJ is built into the control arm. Period. If your ball joint goes bad you have to replace the entire control arm. Isn't that great?
Old 08-31-05, 10:41 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

good info in here.

Since lowering my 92 SC400 in June I've been getting clunking more and more. My front LCA's are toast and my alignment on the front is really bad.
My right front ball joint is bad too so I'm going to go with the Supra TT LCA's. I read in a old thread that the bushing is larger and more durable I hope this is true. At least I won't have to deal with torching and pressing new bushings.

I'll check my local dealer this week and if the price is to high they will be from Carson me thinks.
Old 09-01-05, 12:20 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's true. Ball joints on SC just don't exist. I guess it's possible to repair them by taking the whole arms to a really good machine shop who has some kinds of creations in his mind. And then ask him to drill out the old ones and machine the ***** with studs and adapter plates. But it's tough to find the strong springs that could hold the *****...hah..hah...hah. It could be worth the adventure.
Old 09-01-05, 12:55 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Mike, other than cost of the parts, what is the difference in labor between option 2 and opion 3? For option 3, unlike option 2, u said that its DIY job. How much would the labor be approximately at a shop for option 3? Would it be much less than option 2?
Basically it's like this bro...if a shop has to torch out your old bushings and press in new ones they're gonna charge you up the ying-yang for that because it's a PITA job. Removing complete control arms and reinstalling them is much easier and will be cheaper. So you can either save on the parts and do the labor yourself, or you can save on labor by getting a sightly more expensive part. In the end I chose to go with Daizen bushings and had a shop install them because I only needed 2 bushings replaced (the REAR bushings on the front lower control arms). My total cost for parts and labor was $300. Since I don't know the condition of your individual cars I can't estimate if this fix would work for you, depends on the condition of your bushings and ball joints.
Old 09-02-05, 04:22 PM
SCV8
Instructor

So, if you go to a good, online Toyota Dealer(Steve Ganz), you'll get a shiny pair of OEM Supra control arms that'll bolt onto your car in less than an hour, no pressing parts, no torches.

The Supra components have a better bushing, since they weren't trying to make that car compete with Lincolns. The ride is a bit firmer, but then the bushings are real bushings, not wispy-thin 50,000 mile garbage.
Old 09-03-05, 07:49 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

thats great news.

I ordered some new 94 Supra front LCA's from Carson Toyota. Their price was great . $442 US shipped to Canada. Thats about 650 CDN after taxes compared to my local dealer who quoted me about 800 CDN total after taxes!
Thanks SCV8

Quick Reply: LCA needs bushings, but what about balljoints?