Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Just picked up the Tokico Blues with Espelir Springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-05, 09:59 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Just picked up the Tokico Blues with Espelir Springs

And I had a few questions.

I've done a few searches about camber correction kits. The general cencus is that a drop over 1-1.5" will need the kit, plus the obvious alignment.

My questions are- with the Tokico shocks and the Epelir springs on my stock 16s and standard tire sizes, will I need the kit? I've read yes and no.

If the ride is too low, I guess I could just sell the springs or trade for some newer, less 'aggressive' ones. The shocks don't have anything to do with ride height, do they?

I was assured that there wouldn't be any/much rubbing as long as I'm not trying to do my best Jeep inpersonation

TIA,

G.A.
Old 09-02-05, 10:01 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for those springs, yes, i would recommend a camber kit.
Old 09-02-05, 10:07 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
for those springs, yes, i would recommend a camber kit.
For front and rear, or just one or the other? If the latter, which one?
Old 09-02-05, 10:10 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if anything, i'd get the fronts more than anything. With the fronts, you're turning all the time... etc etc. I've seen a setup with the espilers and they wore out quick. NICE drop though, dont' get me wrong.

the rears are okay so don't worry about that. If anything, flip your tires every-so-often.
Old 09-02-05, 11:02 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been able to get within factory alignment specs (although still slightly negative) with my Espelir springs and no camber kit.
Old 09-02-05, 11:10 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by howiedoit
I've been able to get within factory alignment specs (although still slightly negative) with my Espelir springs and no camber kit.

I have no camber kit... and I have negative camber (had to squeeze my wheels in my fender )
Old 09-03-05, 06:47 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by howiedoit

How'd you do it?
Old 09-03-05, 09:01 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i didn't do anything. the guys at the alignment place were able to get it within spec.
Old 09-03-05, 10:16 AM
advan7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my car aligned yesterday and have the espelir/tokicoblue/daizen front camber kit, and the front was perfect, but the left rear is -2.0 degrees out and the right rear is -1.6, so you may want to consider a camber kit for the rear too.
Old 09-03-05, 10:27 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

get bigger wheels, and your car will be higher to your advantage. i think i have a little negative camber, but my tire wear is still even somehow. if anything, like the other members have said, get a camber kit for the fronts.
Old 09-03-05, 10:33 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

What I'll do is have the shocks/springs installed and have the car aligned. If at that point I still need the camber kit, I'll get it sometime in the near-er future. Due the the V8 and Premium gas prices right now, it's only driven around town for short trips occaisionally.

Can a camber kit be installed by someone with so-so automotive knowledge and alot of engineering knowledge? (Me.) I'm only 15, and due the my Summer job being over, I'll be limited on money to blow on installation.

Thanks,

G.A.
Old 09-03-05, 01:20 PM
advan7
Pole Position

If you or someone you know is pretty good w/cars it's not too hard to do. I haven't done the rears yet because i still need to order it, but the front is a lil tricky if you don't have the right tools. You will need some type of press to push the metal sleeves into the control arms. Me and my buddy used a control arm separator and the washer from the old bushings to push the sleeves in.

My suggestion would be to save money and do it all at once. Otherwise the money you will use to buy new tires could've been used for a camber kit.
Old 09-03-05, 01:29 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by advan7
If you or someone you know is pretty good w/cars it's not too hard to do. I haven't done the rears yet because i still need to order it, but the front is a lil tricky if you don't have the right tools. You will need some type of press to push the metal sleeves into the control arms. Me and my buddy used a control arm separator and the washer from the old bushings to push the sleeves in.

My suggestion would be to save money and do it all at once. Otherwise the money you will use to buy new tires could've been used for a camber kit.
I just chatted with my mechanic neighbor who has years of experience with carsHe said he'll help me do it (or just sit back and laugh at me when I bust my ***, haha) for a pizza and some beer.

I'll drive the car to Japanese Auto Masters here locally to have it aligned. I don't think 20 miles unaligned is going to seriously screw the car up, will it?

If I still need the camber kit, I'll buy it with the money I saved from not having the system installed. Is it something my neighbor and I can install ourselves? Dad's got a very extensive tool set and any pneumatic tool I could need, so tools won't be a problem.
Old 09-04-05, 12:35 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Just thought of this: wouldn't the shop doing my alignment install shims/bushings or whatever needed to correct the camber? If so, what's the point of a camber kit?

-G.A.
Old 09-04-05, 05:32 PM
advan7
Pole Position

For the front, the camber kit is actually a sleeve/bushing that replaces the old bushings in the upper control arm that pushes that control arm out to correct the camber. I'm not sure about the rear but I think you can use washers to correct the rear camber.