Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering rack bushings available!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-05, 05:00 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pilip99
thanks man!yeah i definitely need new bushings!!
Care to share what you told him about your steering?

Scott
Old 09-19-05, 08:14 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the difference between these and the ones.. Carson Toyota offers?

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1871

Are they the same ? if different how much are yours?

I dont think its normal if i Can jerk the.. steering rack with my hand....
Old 09-19-05, 11:37 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As pictured above, and mentioned above more than once, this one has the bushings for BOTH sides of the rack, not just one. This is the only kit like this.

Also with higher quality components that should last longer and have better fitment than anything else on the market

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 09-19-05 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-19-05, 12:19 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had these installed over the weekend and man, what a world of difference. I used to have a jerky/vibrating wheel while cornering or on long turns over bridges, now it's just super smooth!! Feels soooo much better than before, of course I have all the Daizen products on my car, I can say it's 100x better than before.

If you look at both pictures, the quality of the Daizen bushings are top notch and Todd = quality!

And for $40, everyone should do this, you'll love it!
Old 09-19-05, 12:28 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sonyman
Could worn bushings cause tramlining and the steering wheel to jerk when hitting bumps? Supposedly my suspesnsion bushings are good, and the balljoints are tight.

Scott

yes. Worn rack bushings will make it so you can turn your wheel and the car doesnt turn, and all that stuff u said.

Its a very easy and quick fix
Old 09-19-05, 03:27 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

nm I just ordered..

Last edited by Inabj2; 09-19-05 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 12:17 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got these bushing installed by Todd this week. It took about an hour.

My '92 SC400 with 132K miles had always felt very sloppy in the steering department ever since I got it with 100K. Replacing the lower control arm bushings helped tighten up the steering a bit, but it still felt loose.

After the bushings replaced, steering response was greatly improved. There is now less play in the steering wheel and lane changes require much less imput. Also, the steering wheel doesn't move as much when going over bumps and lane dividers.

For $40 and installation, this is a must do for older SC's. An inexpensive upgrade which will greatly improve your driving experience.

Thanks Todd.
Old 09-29-05, 12:59 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

i'm definitely gonna keep this in mind... i may order very soon!

is it easier to go through the website or is there a way we can get CL a little cut as well?
Old 10-02-05, 04:29 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys,

Just installed them today, the steering is so much better, completely eliminated the mushy feel. I already have the front and rear Daizen control arm bushings, so this was the last area that needed tightening up. I did not have any play in my steering before, just a vague mushy feedback, but now it's cured.

The OEM bushings I took off were still in excellent shape, the soft rubber compound selected by Lexus was the cause of the mushy feedback. I highly recommened these bushings to everyone.

Hey Todd, I had a very difficult time taking out the top vertical driver's side bushing, probably because it was still in very good shape. Is there a trick to doing this? Just wondering and if you could share some tips for other members who are about to do this modification.

djl
Old 10-02-05, 05:16 PM
actuary
Driver

Originally Posted by djl
Hi guys,

Just installed them today, the steering is so much better, completely eliminated the mushy feel. I already have the front and rear Daizen control arm bushings, so this was the last area that needed tightening up. I did not have any play in my steering before, just a vague mushy feedback, but now it's cured.

The OEM bushings I took off were still in excellent shape, the soft rubber compound selected by Lexus was the cause of the mushy feedback. I highly recommened these bushings to everyone.

Hey Todd, I had a very difficult time taking out the top vertical driver's side bushing, probably because it was still in very good shape. Is there a trick to doing this? Just wondering and if you could share some tips for other members who are about to do this modification.

djl
I also had a hard time removing the vertical bushing when installing my new (Vlamos) bushings. I ended up just using a hammer and screwdriver to get it out. It's in tight spot so its pretty tough to get much in there.
Old 10-04-05, 11:00 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

K where the #)_*%@ are the bushings i need to remove? Im apparently the only person in this entire freaking board that was not born with mechanical skills instictively.

I order from tm pay 11 bucks for shipping so its delivered by ups i get it from the post office instead .. (you owe me 3 freaking bucks!) and when i get to the instructions... talk about freaking vague. which doesnt read much better then this.. "Remove crappy bushing, install superior daizen bushing, drive!"

I am very frustated I can't find the problem area can someone please be so kind to enlighten a pissed and frustated off bafoon like myself? I feel like im going to lose it if i keep getting LOL INSTALL WAS SO EASY IT TOOK ME LIKE 32 SECONDS LOL!! type response. Everytime i freaking search.
Old 10-04-05, 11:12 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inabj2
K where the #)_*%@ are the bushings i need to remove? Im apparently the only person in this entire freaking board that was not born with mechanical skills instictively.

I order from tm pay 11 bucks for shipping so its delivered by ups i get it from the post office instead .. (you owe me 3 freaking bucks!) and when i get to the instructions... talk about freaking vague. which doesnt read much better then this.. "Remove crappy bushing, install superior daizen bushing, drive!"

I am very frustated I can't find the problem area can someone please be so kind to enlighten a pissed and frustated off bafoon like myself? I feel like im going to lose it if i keep getting LOL INSTALL WAS SO EASY IT TOOK ME LIKE 32 SECONDS LOL!! type response. Everytime i freaking search.
Calm down.

When you pay for shipping, you pay for it to be delivered within a certain TIME period, not for it to be delivered by a specific carrier necessarily. I don't know where you are, but USPS delivers faster than UPS to most places!

The steering rack bushings are on the steering rack. Go under the car, locate the steering rack, and you will see the rubber bushings around it. If you can't find the rack, have someone turn the steering wheel and you'll see the whole thing steer (make sure your head is clear from moving parts).

Last edited by meZoom!; 10-04-05 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-04-05, 11:22 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

I found it eventually... I found the rack no problem.. it was the bushings itself I had trouble finding.. I found them eventually.

Still wouldnt hurt to take a simple pic and slap it in a piece of paper with a line of text with it. Ill probably end up doing that myself if time permits.
Old 10-04-05, 12:51 PM
Project300
Driver

Here is a drawing I made of the bushings I colored the bushings red for clarity.
Attached Thumbnails Steering rack bushings available!-rack.jpg  
Old 10-04-05, 02:36 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Thank you!

And I swear my car is haunted... I literally lost like 2 bolts.. while in the socket, first the mysterious cig lite fuse diseapearing then this. Bolts well I found them hard to reach but I odnt have access to a lift just jack. I had to steal a 17 mm bolt for the bushing bracket on the passenger side from my non running 240sx. Where did it go?!? I dont know its gone.. forever.. car just ate it.. You guys should see my old bushings theyre the worst shaped bushings I have EVER seen! There is barely any rubber left on them! Its all gone!!!!! It came out in pieces when I pulled them out!

I hate working on cars.. but yet theres noting better then driving them... sigh necessary evil... Tommorrow ill install the TM spark plugs since im sure the densos i have now will be fouled from the saefoam treatment I did not to long ago...

Edit I just drove the car and damn!!!!!

Totally different car!

Last edited by Inabj2; 10-04-05 at 02:46 PM.