Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

The Old Clunking Noise from the front !

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 12:40 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The Old Clunking Noise from the front !

I've replaced all the front upper & lower control arms bushings new. I checked the ball joints and they're still good. The bump stops that slide on the shock rods are good, too. The lowered springs & shocks are just new. However, I still have the clunking noise from the left front over dips & bumps. When it happened, I felt like the left front suspension was cracking. Also, I felt like the left front leans down much more when I make the right turn. Does anyone know what else caused this?

Any idea is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-05, 11:04 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of lowering springs did you get? Eibachs have the "clunking" problem.
Old 09-26-05, 01:12 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I had all those exact things changed in my car too and I have the exact noises. I even had the shocks replaced after 1 month because we thought that was the problem, but the noise still persists.

Let me know if you have any ideas...I'd like to know too.
Old 09-26-05, 02:21 PM
Project300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, check your sway bar end links. Mine made a terrible noise over smaller bumps before I replaced them. It might explain why the car is leaning in turns too. How are your sway bar bushings?
Old 09-26-05, 08:32 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I've replaced all the front upper & lower control arms bushings new. I checked the ball joints and they're still good. The bump stops that slide on the shock rods are good, too. The lowered springs & shocks are just new. However, I still have the clunking noise from the left front over dips & bumps. When it happened, I felt like the left front suspension was cracking. Also, I felt like the left front leans down much more when I make the right turn. Does anyone know what else caused this?

Any idea is greatly appreciated.
left side sway bar bushings.
Old 09-30-05, 08:28 AM
ajs14
Driver

It's probably the springs in the front. There was a thread on this before and a fix. I recently had this prob on my Eibachs and Tokikos. Someone said to put 3/8 fuel hose around the 2nd coil or so (from the top) and you'll be fine. I did and it works but you might have to replace it again in a few months as the rubber might harden and break off. If in So Cal I can help. Also check your sway bar links. The bottom one on my right was out. Thread locked helped me on that one. HTH
Old 10-10-05, 09:47 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by koolaidman
left side sway bar bushings.
are you talking about the end links ?

I have the same clunking problem after I put in new supra TT front LCA's.
I'm hoping its loose nuts on the sway bar endlinks.
Old 10-11-05, 02:15 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all of your ideas on how to fix this problem. I replaced all the front bushings: upper arm bushings, lower arm bushings, sway bar bushings. I also checked all the joints/links but they're all good & tight. I torqued all the bolts/nuts to factory specs. But I haven't found the conclusion. I have new Tokico shocks & new Tanabe springs. I also jacked up the left front lower arm and pushed it all the way up with the shock/spring in place, but it still didn't make noise. The Lex technician said it could be the strut top mount although I didn't see it's broken. Someones just told me it could be the defective shock. So...the conclusion is that I don't know what's wrong.

However, I think I'll switch the left strut top mount to the right and put in the old factory shock and see what'll happen. If the noise is gone, then that's the defective Tokico. If the noise moves to the right, then that's the top strut mount. But....if the noise is still there.....then..
Old 10-11-05, 02:33 PM
Project300
Driver

It still could be your sway bar end links even if they are on tight. They each have 2 little ball joints on them that eventually wear out. You can't necessarily tell if they are done by inspecting them. This was the solution to my clunking front end when I thought it was something else. They are easy to replace and cost about $70 each from Lexus.
Old 10-11-05, 11:08 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

I was afraid of that.

I changed my front lower control arms to Supra TT last week. We had to cut off the end links because the bolts were so corroded the allen key would just spin.

It will take a little while for new oem end links to come (and they are pricey) So as a temporary solution I put on some 95-99 Eagle Talon (Mitsubishi eclipse) front sway bar endlinks. They were approx the same size. However they came from a junkyard so they could be toast. The loud clunking started after putting the new control arms and these DSM enlinks in. I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and order some new end links

I'll torque everything to spec tommorrow and hopefully its a loose nut on the end links ha
Old 10-12-05, 08:44 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

i have intrax supra springs in sc shocks up front with every daizen bushing they make installed, i get all sorts of noises when i hit bumps