Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Okuyama / Dash / Carbing Roll Cage ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-05 | 02:14 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Default Okuyama / Dash / Carbing Roll Cage ???

So while I was checking out the Carbing sways, I wanted to check out the roll cages....

I mean, Ueno has a Dash Cage in his car, right?

photographic proof right there...and it's definatly not a custom one-off weld-in job...

so why can't I find it listing in any of the catalogs? It's like it doesn't exist...

The only thing I can think of is that Ueno is perhaps using a JZA80 Supra Cage? That seems to be the only thing that could make sense at this point....
Old 10-01-05 | 04:11 AM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

whoa intresting let me know what you find out...
Old 10-03-05 | 11:21 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Splatsc300
whoa intresting let me know what you find out...
no luck as of yet, if nothing turns up by friday, i'll e-mail vertex and ask them what's up
Old 10-06-05 | 03:59 PM
STRONG SC
Lead Lap

interested in cagin' my car as well...
Old 10-06-05 | 04:31 PM
sc.Fred
Instructor

random question but do SC's and MKIV Supra's have the same interior size? That's a dope looking cage as well

you planning on going full track roo? good luck on everything!
Old 10-06-05 | 04:57 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

You know Roo, I was wondering this also. I did a search awhile back after seeing the second car Ueno had built. It was in fact a Okuyama cage that I tired to source. but I didn't have anyone to contact to obtain it.

From what I understand Okuyama, Carbing, and Dash are all the same company. But I the cages are marketed as Dash.... I don't understand. So I did somemore searching and tried my hardest to translate Carbing's webpage. They do make a cage for the JZZ platform in I thing anywhere from a 4 to 16 point cage.

If the cage fits it a completely different story though. I've had some bad issues with Cusco cages in DC5's. I ordered a freind a cage at a killer price. 8 point cage that wrapped around the dash. We pull the interior to start the install and we hit our first rut in the road. The U bar is taller than it's supposed to be. Turns out that the JDM DC5/R doesn't come with a sunrif like the USDM models do. Big deal. We pull up some sound deadening material and it fits. Next steps are what made me cry. The mounts for the front and rear bars were totally off. Turned out the dashboard and the rear bars a mounted in locations that aren't on the USDM model.

So long story short. It might come down to the dash and how it's formed. It would be nice to compare pics of a USDM SC series and a JDM Soarer's dashes to see if the bars would fit around them. and to see if all the mounting points line up.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...oyota_01.shtml
Old 10-06-05 | 10:10 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc.Fred
random question but do SC's and MKIV Supra's have the same interior size? That's a dope looking cage as well

you planning on going full track roo? good luck on everything!
not sure about the interior, i was just making a guess....we should find a supra guy and find out...

not full track, a streetable track car is my goal.....hopefully it will turn out like I want it

Originally Posted by SinisterSC
You know Roo, I was wondering this also. I did a search awhile back after seeing the second car Ueno had built. It was in fact a Okuyama cage that I tired to source. but I didn't have anyone to contact to obtain it.

From what I understand Okuyama, Carbing, and Dash are all the same company. But I the cages are marketed as Dash.... I don't understand. So I did somemore searching and tried my hardest to translate Carbing's webpage. They do make a cage for the JZZ platform in I thing anywhere from a 4 to 16 point cage.

If the cage fits it a completely different story though. I've had some bad issues with Cusco cages in DC5's. I ordered a freind a cage at a killer price. 8 point cage that wrapped around the dash. We pull the interior to start the install and we hit our first rut in the road. The U bar is taller than it's supposed to be. Turns out that the JDM DC5/R doesn't come with a sunrif like the USDM models do. Big deal. We pull up some sound deadening material and it fits. Next steps are what made me cry. The mounts for the front and rear bars were totally off. Turned out the dashboard and the rear bars a mounted in locations that aren't on the USDM model.

So long story short. It might come down to the dash and how it's formed. It would be nice to compare pics of a USDM SC series and a JDM Soarer's dashes to see if the bars would fit around them. and to see if all the mounting points line up.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...oyota_01.shtml
1.) yes, carbing, dash, okuyama are all owned by mr. okuyama

2.)I can't find JZZ or UZZ listed anywhere, that link you posted doesn't have it either.

3.) JDM roll cages, yes...I always tell customers to get the type that go through the dash because of the LHD and RHD issue as well as to keep more footroom available. Sunroofs are also a big issue, cusco makes a cage for the JZZ30 for both sunroof and non-sunroof cars. I think they make a sunrrof version for the DC5 also but you need to specify it when you order it.
Old 06-24-06 | 12:23 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

What about doing just a rear roll bar. I have thought about doing a custom kit but a basic rear roll bar would serve the purpose. I have even thought about doing a do luck floor support bar with a rear seat bar for the corbeau seats. I am removing the rear seats and throwing some carpet back there just to cover it up.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

BTW I have contacted Nukabe the US distributor for Cusco and I think they might have a basic 4 point bolt in roll bar for the rear I might make it a 5 point but we will see.