Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which Tein????

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-05, 08:24 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Tein????

I'm thinking about getting the tein basics but someone here told me that i should get the tein cs. Is there that much bigger difference between the basics and the CS or should I be happy with the basics. I'm probably gonna sport a staggered set of 18" or 19" wheels.
Old 10-02-05, 09:55 AM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tein basics doesn't have adjustable dampening, do a search or go to the Tein site and you'll find more info.
Old 10-02-05, 10:10 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayssc40093
Tein basics doesn't have adjustable dampening, do a search or go to the Tein site and you'll find more info.

Maybe I should search, but since my question would be benerficial to SharpCreas' thread:

what does it mean to adjust the dampening, and is the ability worth the extra money to upgrade from the Basics?
Old 10-02-05, 03:57 PM
recoil
Rookie

hey,

I just did some research into this recently and ended up ordering TEIN flex.

Basics are "OK" if all you want is a lower ride... Performance wise they arent THAT great.. with coilovers its VERY beneficial to be able to control dampening and front camber plates are also quite useful.

Dampening allows you set your 'ride' based on need. track/street

Also, the quality of the higher end model means a system bvetter tuned for your specific car.

In the end, you get what you pay for...

and you have to remember that Tein flex is considered the most entry level coilover in Japan (when it comes to being moderatly serious about suspension performance)...
good luck.
Old 10-02-05, 05:13 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

if u want something inexpensive but have total control...try ksport. or d2 rs.
Old 10-02-05, 05:15 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by recoil
hey,

I just did some research into this recently and ended up ordering TEIN flex.

Basics are "OK" if all you want is a lower ride... Performance wise they arent THAT great.. with coilovers its VERY beneficial to be able to control dampening and front camber plates are also quite useful.

Dampening allows you set your 'ride' based on need. track/street

Also, the quality of the higher end model means a system bvetter tuned for your specific car.

In the end, you get what you pay for...

and you have to remember that Tein flex is considered the most entry level coilover in Japan (when it comes to being moderatly serious about suspension performance)...
good luck.
What about the Tein SS coilovers? Adjustable dampening and ride height.
Old 10-02-05, 09:10 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, all the places I've asked recommend Tein SS for but purely for street. If any track work is going to be seen then I was recommended Tein Flex (but the spring rates seem a little on the harder side of things compared to SS, and the Tein SS comes with rubber reinforced upper mounts instead of solid upper mounts). I'll most likely be getting Tein SS but not yet heheh.
Old 10-02-05, 10:14 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
Yeah, all the places I've asked recommend Tein SS for but purely for street. If any track work is going to be seen then I was recommended Tein Flex (but the spring rates seem a little on the harder side of things compared to SS, and the Tein SS comes with rubber reinforced upper mounts instead of solid upper mounts). I'll most likely be getting Tein SS but not yet heheh.
Is it really worth the extra $500 ish dollars for the Flex? I only plan to Auto-X for fun, maybe once every few months. I just can't justify much more than the SS on my daily driver that doubles as a fun car.
Old 10-03-05, 12:39 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

It's up to you if you wanna spend the extra coin. I mean if I could afford them I would go all out with the Tein CS but not for the price they're going for here in Australia For me I can't justify spending more than I have to, if the Tein SS are adjustable for height and firmness then that's all that I can ask for since my car is a daily driver, plus the spring rates (according to the Tein website) are softer for the Super Street compared to the Flex Damper.

Tein Super Street
Spring Rate (f/r): 10.0kg/6.0kg
Upper Mount Type: Reinforced rubber

Tein Flex Damper
Spring Rate (f/r): 14.0kg/8.0kg
Upper Mount Type: Solid pillowball

Mind you, I've had a set of Kei-Office coilovers which would bust your *** if you weren't careful, and the spring rates on those were more than the Tein Flex and I had bad experiences with them so I want a softer set up since I've only got a daily driver.

Just my two cents

Jose
Old 10-03-05, 12:51 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

You can never go wrong with the Tein SS on a daily driver.

I had Eibach springs with blown stock struts/shocks on my SC4 and the ride was simply horrible because of the bad shocks. I could literally felt every little bump on the road and my CD player skipped 20 times each day on my way to work.

After I had the Tein SS installed, my CD player has been almost flawless (except when I hit big potholes) and the ride is just 100 times better than it was before. I actually got car sick during the first couple of days when I had the SS installed because these coilovers just felt so comfortable and floatly on the freeway.

For comparison purposes, I also rode in a 2002' SC430 with the Tein CS (fitted w/ more aggressive Tein springs) and 20' rims on the same day when I got my SS installed. The SC4 with SS actually felt a tad more comfortable than the SC430.

And yes, the SS is both height/firmness adjustable. TM Engineering set my fronts at 16/16 and the rears at 12/16.

Jon

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
It's up to you if you wanna spend the extra coin. I mean if I could afford them I would go all out with the Tein CS but not for the price they're going for here in Australia For me I can't justify spending more than I have to, if the Tein SS are adjustable for height and firmness then that's all that I can ask for since my car is a daily driver, plus the spring rates (according to the Tein website) are softer for the Super Street compared to the Flex Damper.

Tein Super Street
Spring Rate (f/r): 10.0kg/6.0kg
Upper Mount Type: Reinforced rubber

Tein Flex Damper
Spring Rate (f/r): 14.0kg/8.0kg
Upper Mount Type: Solid pillowball

Mind you, I've had a set of Kei-Office coilovers which would bust your *** if you weren't careful, and the spring rates on those were more than the Tein Flex and I had bad experiences with them so I want a softer set up since I've only got a daily driver.

Just my two cents

Jose
Old 10-03-05, 01:45 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

LOL that's all the convincing I'll need to get them hehehe
Old 10-03-05, 07:39 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

So the Tein SS is probably the best choice for the price I guess. But is the Tein SS as comfortable as a Tein CS.
Old 10-03-05, 01:50 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpCreas
So the Tein SS is probably the best choice for the price I guess. But is the Tein SS as comfortable as a Tein CS.
NO. i think CS is 10/6 and from what i saw on the tein site SS is 14/9 for supra. or are u guys finding the sc tein SS that i cant seem to find.
Old 10-03-05, 01:55 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

You guys keep mentioning how soft the SS set is.

When you say this, you're not saying they're softer than my stock suspension, are they? I really don't wanna drop almost a grand to have a car that handles like a floating potato.

Will they be as soft or firmer than my Tokicos and Espelirs? That was a great, smooth ride that was slightly stiffer than stock.
Old 10-03-05, 02:55 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

That's the whole concept of the SS having 16 way adjustable positions for damping.

If you want to have a car that rides like a race car, then click it to 1/16.

I personally hate having a harsh ride and therefore, positioned the adjustment to 16/16 up front. It turned out to be very cushy and comfortable. It's more comfortable than the stock set up.

And no, having a comfortable ride does not mean that the car handles like a floating potato.

Jon

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
You guys keep mentioning how soft the SS set is.

When you say this, you're not saying they're softer than my stock suspension, are they? I really don't wanna drop almost a grand to have a car that handles like a floating potato.

Will they be as soft or firmer than my Tokicos and Espelirs? That was a great, smooth ride that was slightly stiffer than stock.

Quick Reply: Which Tein????