Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installing Danzien Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-05, 03:42 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing Danzien Sway Bars

OK, I just finished installing the rear Danzien sway bar and it was a bit of a pain. I put the car up on jack stands but there still is not a lot of room to work under there. And having to reverse the end stud bolts was not all that easy. Anyway, got it on and drove it and I can already tell the rear end is much fimer. Now, to those of you who installed these themselves in their driveway, how hard is the front bar to do? It looks like a bunch of plastic under body stuff needs to be removed. Anyway, I ran out of time to do it so I thought I would ask before I take it on next weekend.
Old 10-02-05, 04:11 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dont forget to get us review now soo far I've havent heard anything really bad about the daizen sways....seems to be the sways to go with
Old 10-03-05, 12:09 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ummm..try not to drive with only the rear bar, that's a VERY dangerous situation!

Only the front is ok, but the rear only is not good.

Front is easier to install than the rear FYI
Old 10-03-05, 12:55 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

I still have the original front bar on.
Old 10-03-05, 01:15 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

imo....front is easier than the rear....no need to reverse any end-links up front.

Pete
Old 10-03-05, 01:38 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TexasGS
I still have the original front bar on.
Yes, this is D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S-!-!-!-!
Old 10-03-05, 02:45 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Why would it be dangerous to drive with a new rear sway and OEM front sway? Just courious. I may need to just go ahead and do it tonight.
Old 10-03-05, 02:59 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Well, that chassis is very very sensitive to having dangerous oversteer, even mismatched almost similar bars can cause this. You have a very mismatched rear-biased set of bars. I'd tell you to toss it into a corner to see for yourself, but it's a truly dangerous setup you have there, so that's not good let-you-find-out-for-yourself advice. An emergency maneuver at freeway speeds will probably make you lose control and hit a wall with what you currently have.

I'd say to do the front asap.
Old 10-03-05, 03:01 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Take pictures and post them!!
Old 10-03-05, 03:28 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

I am at the office late tonight so I guess I better get the front put on tomorrow evening. I only drive about 5 miles to/from my office and so far this morning I did not notice anything strange. It did feel about 50% better. I will post pics of them installed once I get the car back up on the jack stands this week to install the front. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-03-05, 04:11 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The fronts are a LOT easier to install. The hardest part was probably removing and reinstalling the 100,000+ screws holding the plastic splash pan. Other than that, it's a straightforward replacement. Don't get me wrong. You'll still have to remove, reinstall and retorque a handful of screws, but there's nothing to figure out, no massive bolts to break, and no tricky end links to play with. All your hard work will be worth it. JB.
Old 10-03-05, 08:03 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

make sure you mount the front bar correctly. you can mount it upside down if you're not careful. if you do this, it may pinch your abs sensors when the suspension compresses. if you pinch your abs line, the lights on the dash board comes on..this is not good
Old 10-04-05, 06:48 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corkycal
make sure you mount the front bar correctly. you can mount it upside down if you're not careful. if you do this, it may pinch your abs sensors when the suspension compresses. if you pinch your abs line, the lights on the dash board comes on..this is not good
I assume installing them the right side up would mean making sure the Dianzen sticker can be read by looking at the front of the car?
Old 10-04-05, 07:57 AM
pavster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, sway bars are bit of work, but nothing compared with springs/shocks. The only issue in the rear is getting the end-links to go back into the control arms -- the fit is very tight. The front is quite straightforward, except for the large amount of hardware that needs to be removed and then reinstalled. I had the problem where I didn't notice how the original bar is mounted and then couldn't figure out which side is up on the new bar. Turned out that the sticker is a good clue. If it's right side up, you are all set.

Loving my Daizen sways and L-Tuned S/S; it's a different car.

-pavel.
Old 10-04-05, 08:26 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TexasGS
I assume installing them the right side up would mean making sure the Dianzen sticker can be read by looking at the front of the car?

yes, i believe you can see the center sticker. another clue to look for is how the outer curvature of the bars are away from the abs lines. there should be about 6 inches of clearence from the lines. if you only have an inch of clearence, it's backward.

Quick Reply: Installing Danzien Sway Bars