Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New here with a Probelm

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-05, 08:59 PM
johnsonjam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here with a Probelm

Hi everyone,
I am new here, and i just bought a 93 SC400 few weeks ago.
Now a problem has occured to me.
The problem is that sometimes when I was just drving like every other day, it starts to shake, and i mean the whole car starts shaking..and i can actually feel it thru the steering. The car would suddenly go to the right side abit, and lose some power on the car, then it starts to shake.
I am not sure if this is a good detailed description for you all to read, just wondering if you all experts might have an idea what happens to my car~~~
Thank you~~~
Old 10-05-05, 09:08 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

get your wheels balanced.
Old 10-05-05, 09:32 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsonjam
Hi everyone,
I am new here, and i just bought a 93 SC400 few weeks ago.
Now a problem has occured to me.
The problem is that sometimes when I was just drving like every other day, it starts to shake, and i mean the whole car starts shaking..and i can actually feel it thru the steering. The car would suddenly go to the right side abit, and lose some power on the car, then it starts to shake.
I am not sure if this is a good detailed description for you all to read, just wondering if you all experts might have an idea what happens to my car~~~
Thank you~~~
You need to give more information like, the shaking only happens at a certain speed, car fully warmed up etc, is it related to road condition, does it happen when you are trying to accelerate.

If it is tottaly random, I would urge you to take it to a garage and have them get the car on lift and examine the suspension and steering linkage. This can be a safety issue for you and folks around you on the street.

Such problems never go away and root cause should be determined as soon as possible. The damage can get worse if left unattended.

Salim
Old 10-05-05, 11:18 PM
johnsonjam
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all your replies!!!
As for the detailed information, I am still trying to figure out when will the shake happen under what condition....
The first time this happend, it was not running fast, and the shake goes off when its under 40Km/h, but like today, the shake starts when i was running about 90-100km/h... it starts with little shake, and as i slow down it shakes heavier....its abit like the shake that a manual car gives you if you don't drive the manual car properly... so bascially this is what i found so far...
i think i will have to take it to a garage...
the worst was that, i took the car to a lexus dealership for an inspection, and they didnt even find such problems.. but it happens now....
Old 10-06-05, 12:07 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

OK , as others have stated , it could be several different things, or a combination of problems. Keep in mind this is a 12-13 year old car. That may have several issues.
The whole scenario sounds so familiar, its almost scary. I had the exact same type of probs on my 93 SC300. Heres my suggestion.
Start with checking the wheels and tires for proper inflation, any dents cracks, chips etc. And uneven wear. Get the wheels balanced . And have the front lower control arm bushings checked out, I can almost guarantee you need to replace them. search lower control arm bushings and read as many of the threads and absorb the info. As Its probably the most common prob for the early SCs. Also check your shocks out . If they are the original shocks they are probably ready to retire. Another not necessarily related, but a suggestion, simple things that people dont do, or even think of, like tightening bolts, can do wonders . Every so often i tighten any bolts accessable. especially the plastic engine undercover. bumpers and fenders too. Also make sure your ground wire is connected correctly and clean. And if you dont know for sure that your spark plugs have been changed recently, you may want to consider a tuneup.
Incidently, it was new wheels, mine were bent and worn . the front lower control arm bushings, and new shocks and springs that corrected what you describe in my case. They all helped individually, , but i had to do all of the above, as well as new front brakes.
-Anyhow good luck and like i said search the subjectof lower control arm bushings.
Old 10-06-05, 12:59 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Have your control arm bushings checked
Old 10-06-05, 02:48 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Check your wheel balancing as everyone said, check your engine and gearbox mounts too they are probably gone. Do you have an erratic idle or is it idling smoothly?
Old 10-06-05, 09:57 AM
happypanda
Lead Lap

check tires...balancing...air pressure...check if the lugs are torqued right...but if its worst...look into suspension parts such as inner tie rods and such..same thing happend to my previous car(s)...had shaking but its all either something simple or something needs to be fixed and replaced..goodluck
Old 10-06-05, 08:31 PM
johnsonjam
Driver School Candidate

Thank you again for everyone giving opinions here, i will try all the advices, i will prob go to a garage this weekend.
do you guys think i should bring the car back to toyota or lexus? or should attend to a local shop first?
I also just wanna say that this is a great forum, and all of you are really nice!
I am glad to be here!
Thanks again
Old 10-06-05, 08:44 PM
johnsonjam
Driver School Candidate

oh yeah forgot to tell u all, it idle smoothly....