Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ls Big brakes or Brembo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 04:17 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rajshnu
Guys:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.... The rear left caliper pin got stuck and messed up the rotor... which by my mechanic's understanding is deemed a "soft" rotor.... with no room left to resurface... The idea is to upgrade my entire brake system because I have the 20's on and I don't feel much braking power, so here are the options...

1) Replace rear caliper with factory, replace all four rotors at the same time with brembo sport (factory fit) slotted / drilled at $280 on ebay... and just make sure to use ceramic pads all around..

2) Replace rear caliper with factory, replace both rear rotors only with factory, new rear ceramic pads AND the LS400 big brake front setup as suggested by Aliga on that thread...

Problem is that i have 20's with about a 2 inch or more lip all around... I don't know if the LS400 setup would fit up front but I'm going to do the measurement from the rotor tonight.

hope this clarifies....ADVICE....

On another nore, I am hearing a whining noice when I first start my car for about 10 minutes and also when I turn.... I wonder if this is power steering or bushings....
Okay, that makes it much clearer my friend...If I were you this is what I'd do. While your car has the stock brakes up front and those big 20 inchers on there, take a look at how much space you have between the stock front caliper and the backside of the rim-face. If you have a good amount of space then you should be able to do the LS400 upgrade without any issues, but it's best to actually measure the space, but like I said if it's ample you will be fine.

Being as you have 20's (I'm assuming they're chrome, and if so that's a good amount of unsprung weight...that rotating mass could probably use the benefit of the LS brakes) I'd suggest the brake upgrade. And yes, you will then need 2 new front rotors which are compatible with LS calipers. Now this takes care of the fronts.

What you should do to save time and money is to buy your LS calipers from CL member "aliga" and at the same time also buy from him a working stock left rear caliper, it will be cheaper than you can find anywhere else and Aliga will send you a quality part, not some random junk you might get from somewhere else. You can still get your rotors off ebay if you choose, or I have some used N/A rear rotors I'll give you for free, you just pay for shipping.

Does all this make sense? If not ask away and I'll try to answer more of your questions.
Old 10-13-05, 04:24 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MongolKhan
BREMBO
For you and Mike who voted Brembo, I and just clarifying thatyou are voting for the Brembo rotors option and not the Brembo BBK. Just wanted to be sure.
Old 10-13-05, 04:35 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neo
For you and Mike who voted Brembo, I and just clarifying thatyou are voting for the Brembo rotors option and not the Brembo BBK. Just wanted to be sure.
Sorry man, I should have clarified, lol...I'm saying that the Brembo N/A drilled replacement rotors are an upgrade over stock N/A rotors, nothing else
Old 10-13-05, 05:35 PM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys are some good help. I think I might go with the LS upgrade. That way I dont have to mess with the rear rotors or calipers right? All I need is the LS calipers from Aliga and LS front rotors right?
Old 10-13-05, 07:16 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

You might want some brake pads and brake fluid too. Maybe some shims.
Old 10-14-05, 07:15 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Can you buy everything from Aliga including the calipers, and rotors or do you buy them seperate?
Old 10-14-05, 10:05 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Aliga sells just the calipers. You'd want new rotors and pads anyway. I know this may be outside your "rotors only" budget but I think you will be much happier in the long run. Just make sure your wheels will clear.

Also, you may want to look into SS lines.
Old 10-14-05, 10:42 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

I believe Aliga includes pads with the LS calipers but of course they're "used" pads...but still good enough until you can put together the money for new pads, if you're on a budget I mean. That way all you really have to worry about are rotors, which are easily obtained
Old 10-14-05, 03:46 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
I believe Aliga includes pads with the LS calipers but of course they're "used" pads...but still good enough until you can put together the money for new pads, if you're on a budget I mean. That way all you really have to worry about are rotors, which are easily obtained
If you have everything apart it would be stupid not to replace the pads... mine were slick, lol.
Old 10-14-05, 04:27 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Unless you plan on carrying an anchor in the car, I'd highly recommend new pads and rotors. The brakes are the only thing to save you from hitting that wall at 80 mph.
Old 10-14-05, 04:55 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
If you have everything apart it would be stupid not to replace the pads... mine were slick, lol.
You have to remember that a lot of members here will be scrimping just to get the LS set-up period. I don't want to just assume someone has the funds to get new pads if they don't. I know pads are a nominal cost but what's nominal to me and you might be a good chunk of money to someone else.

I was probably lucky. I got my LS brakes from Aliga but I wanted a special set, a newer set. I have calipers off a 2000 LS and the pads I received with them were basically new, so in my case there was no need to get new pads. But I can't say everyone else will receive parts in the same condition, unless you request it, pay a bit more, and then sit back and be patient.

Have a good weekend guys.
Old 06-05-06, 08:08 PM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

hey guy's,

im in the process of doing my ls400 brake setup. so far, ive purchased loaded rebuilt calipers, rotors from rockauto.com , and stoptech stainless steel front brakelines. I have everything done, all that you really need to do is just cut off your dust sheild with a dremel and bending it, then get a washer or two to use as a spacer between the caliper bolts, there just a tid bit too long. if your going to use your stock brake line dremel the little extra fitting down till you can bolt the brake line flush on the caliper. if you plan to use the better stainless steel lines they just bolt right in.

they look plain sick painted red, there so huge compared to the stock sc300 brakes!