Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ls Big brakes or Brembo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 05:20 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls Big brakes or Brembo?

I read alot of posts about LS Big Brakes and how they are the best way to go. My question is: Are the brembo Slotted/ Drilled rotors that you can buy off ebay while using the original stock calipers as good as buying a set of LS Big Brakes? Is the stopping power about the same? If so, that means I can buy any kind of wheels and not have to worry about clearing the LS BB. Please help.........
Old 10-13-05, 07:30 AM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Ls calipers are 4 piston while stock are 2 piston. So the Ls calipers will have better clamping force than stock. Drilled/slotted rotors just help release dust/gas in between the rotor and brake pad. You'll feel a big improvement with Ls calipers.
Old 10-13-05, 11:10 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

either way is good, stock or cross drilled/slotted. u can resurface slotted, but not drilled. and if u get the ones that are drilled, make sure its done correctly. some of them then to break under heavy brakeing.
Old 10-13-05, 11:59 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

so is it a good or a bad idea to keep the stock calipers and just upgrade rotors?
Old 10-13-05, 12:09 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpCreas
so is it a good or a bad idea to keep the stock calipers and just upgrade rotors?
It's not a bad idea, but what are you going to spend on "upgrading" your factory brakes as opposed to getting a complete set of 4-piston calipers @ the same price? $220 shipped from Aliga for the calipers, I've got $100 in the rest of the process.
Old 10-13-05, 01:04 PM
jacques
Pole Position

I depends what your going to use the car for LS caplier and drilled rotors won't give any performance benefit unless you plan on some hardcore racing, just better looks and pedal feel. If your rotors are worn, warped; replacing them would be your best bet.
Old 10-13-05, 01:31 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as your wheels clear the larger calipers, I'd take a 4-piston setup over new rotors anyday. Besides, you will need new rotors to go with the LS brakes.
Old 10-13-05, 01:37 PM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

So I'm gonna need the Ls calipers and ROTORS. That will be more money than to buy aftermarket rotors and just use stock calipers.
Old 10-13-05, 01:44 PM
Rajshnu
Driver School Candidate

Default I need the same help

I'm dealing with the same issue... one of my calipers pin is stuck and needs to be replaced. Do I go with slotted / drilled Brembos rotors that can fit stock and just replace the caliper with another factory one... OR do I go with a complete setup of rotors and calipers? Which mfr's do you guys suggest for both of the options....

PLEASE HELP... I did a search through the brake and suspension section already and couldn't find these suggestions... perhaps you guys can tell which ones you use... By the way I have 20x8.5 all around
Old 10-13-05, 01:45 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Neo
As long as your wheels clear the larger calipers, I'd take a 4-piston setup over new rotors anyday. Besides, you will need new rotors to go with the LS brakes.
I agree wholeheartedly, please ensure you have your wheels lined up because the LS400 calipers (along with the Supra TT calipers), really cut out alot of the wheel choices (almost force you to the custom route)

Good luck
Old 10-13-05, 02:31 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rajshnu
one of my calipers pin is stuck and needs to be replaced. Do I go with slotted / drilled Brembos rotors that can fit stock and just replace the caliper with another factory one... OR do I go with a complete setup of rotors and calipers? Which mfr's do you guys suggest for both of the options....
Your issue is with the PIN in the CALIPER right? What do ROTORS have to do with it?
Old 10-13-05, 02:44 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

BREMBO
Old 10-13-05, 02:47 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MongolKhan
BREMBO
Yeah man, I'd say Brembo as well...but we need to know why Rajshnu is even thinking about rotors if the only issue he has is a stuck caliper pin? Are the rotors warped or grooved or something? If not just get the pin replaced
Old 10-13-05, 03:03 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I personally would go for with the LS. Drill patterns are just for aesthetic in alotta cases.
Old 10-13-05, 03:04 PM
Rajshnu
Driver School Candidate

Default clarification

Guys:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.... The rear left caliper pin got stuck and messed up the rotor... which by my mechanic's understanding is deemed a "soft" rotor.... with no room left to resurface... The idea is to upgrade my entire brake system because I have the 20's on and I don't feel much braking power, so here are the options...

1) Replace rear caliper with factory, replace all four rotors at the same time with brembo sport (factory fit) slotted / drilled at $280 on ebay... and just make sure to use ceramic pads all around..

2) Replace rear caliper with factory, replace both rear rotors only with factory, new rear ceramic pads AND the LS400 big brake front setup as suggested by Aliga on that thread...

Problem is that i have 20's with about a 2 inch or more lip all around... I don't know if the LS400 setup would fit up front but I'm going to do the measurement from the rotor tonight.

hope this clarifies....ADVICE....

On another nore, I am hearing a whining noice when I first start my car for about 10 minutes and also when I turn.... I wonder if this is power steering or bushings....

Quick Reply: Ls Big brakes or Brembo?