Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clinking sound from rear brakes after replacing brake pads!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 12:35 PM
Chigger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clinking sound from rear brakes after replacing brake pads!!

I had new rear brake pads put on last month. Ever since I got the car back, I keep on hearing a clinking noise, sounds like a piece of thin sheet-metal loose, hitting something when I ride over bumps on the road. But when I am coming to a stop (with my foot on the brake & hit the same bumps), the noise is not there.

At first, I thought it was the metal-piece that goes over your rear disc brake that is/are hitting the brakes. So I tried to bent it a little outward, but the noise is still there.

Has anyone experience this before? I'm putting my stock graphite 17"s with snow tires back on for the winter tomorrow, maybe I'll take a closer look at it. If I can't figure it out, I will have my mechanic to look at it (again). TIA
Old 10-21-05, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Chigger
I had new rear brake pads put on last month. Ever since I got the car back, I keep on hearing a clinking noise, sounds like a piece of thin sheet-metal loose, hitting something when I ride over bumps on the road. But when I am coming to a stop (with my foot on the brake & hit the same bumps), the noise is not there.

At first, I thought it was the metal-piece that goes over your rear disc brake that is/are hitting the brakes. So I tried to bent it a little outward, but the noise is still there.

Has anyone experience this before? I'm putting my stock graphite 17"s with snow tires back on for the winter tomorrow, maybe I'll take a closer look at it. If I can't figure it out, I will have my mechanic to look at it (again). TIA
the two pins to hold the pads in, they are in good right? and the metal plate that goes on top as a clip, it's secured? do you hear it from both sides or just one side?

you did put in the shims and fit kits back right?
Old 10-22-05, 11:07 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Chigger

I would have him look at it or check what Rominl said. If its still doing it then its the same sound that I have. Its a normal sound and its always been there. Sometimes its more noticeable than other time. I notice it at slow speeds when I'm pushing the brake. I think its just because our brakes are the float type and its just the caliper locking back in place. I've heard some other people complain about that sound and I think its just an IS brake thing and its suppose to do that. As long as it doesn't feel like its grinding or sound like it is than you should be good.

hope that helps.
Old 11-03-05, 06:33 PM
Chigger
Pole Position

My mechanic check it again, it was the brake pads. The noise is gone!! woohoo!!
Old 11-03-05, 07:37 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Great. Glad you got it fixed.