Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Air Ride Suspension: Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 11:09 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
Here's one that someone else took, I haven't really had a chance to take pics yet.

WOW YOUR CAR LOOKS VERY GOOD
Old 11-14-05, 09:30 PM
XBS1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did you go with the chapman struts instead of the air over shocks? Do you think there will be clearance issues with the air over shocks in the rear? thanks for your input!
Old 11-14-05, 09:41 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by XBS1
Why did you go with the chapman struts instead of the air over shocks? Do you think there will be clearance issues with the air over shocks in the rear? thanks for your input!
They didn't have the air over shock units yet when I bought my system. I do think there's going to be a clearance issue if you try to mount the bags close to the rear top mount since I already had issues with the chapman sleeves. A good solution to this would be to mount the strut assembly upside down so the actual bag would be closer to the bottom mount (not as hard as it sounds ). Good luck!
Old 11-14-05, 09:56 PM
XBS1
Driver

Do you have AIM? I need to msg you, since you already did this I have a lot of questions, if you dont mind
Old 11-14-05, 10:04 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
They didn't have the air over shock units yet when I bought my system. I do think there's going to be a clearance issue if you try to mount the bags close to the rear top mount since I already had issues with the chapman sleeves. A good solution to this would be to mount the strut assembly upside down so the actual bag would be closer to the bottom mount (not as hard as it sounds ). Good luck!
Well that explains why the OEM strut/springs on the rear are upside down (coil spring on the bottom). So what did you do to overcome this?
Old 11-14-05, 11:11 PM
XBS1
Driver

I know i can mount the AirOver Shocks upside down and order that end with a "stud adapter" instead of the eye mount, but how would i attact the mounting bracket from my old shocks on this one?
Old 11-15-05, 08:12 AM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

I know i can mount the AirOver Shocks upside down and order that end with a "stud adapter" instead of the eye mount, but how would i attact the mounting bracket from my old shocks on this one?
If you can order the shock with the stud adaptor on the bottom and the eye mount on top, then flip it over, then you are not going to need the mounting brakets off your old shock since all the mounts are there.

Well that explains why the OEM strut/springs on the rear are upside down (coil spring on the bottom). So what did you do to overcome this?
The Chapman strut has a sleeve instead of a bag, which makes the diameter smaller. I just had to make a little more room by banging on the body with a hammer (it was only off by less that 1/4 inch).

Last edited by V8_Aristo; 11-15-05 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-15-05, 08:31 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Default Air

How smooth of a ride do you get out of those sleeve struts?
Old 11-15-05, 09:38 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by rgarjr
How smooth of a ride do you get out of those sleeve struts?
Eventhough the sleeve struts are really smooth and comfortable, I would advice everyone not to get. Since they are sleeves and not heavy duty bags, the weight capacity is low. Easy Street rated it at 900lbs per sleeve, thats 3600lbs total. This weight limit is a little convervative, but I have tried 4 people and a system in the trunk....not possible. 2 person, not a problem, 3 is probabaly the limit.

My next set of bag are going to be the Aero Sport Bag from Universal Air Suspension, this is a convoluted bag with a hole in the middle. I will be fabricating this to my coilovers for a "best of both worlds" suspension.

EDIT: This will also work with factory struts, just remove the factory springs and modify this in it's place.

Old 11-15-05, 10:48 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Isn't this bag setup for use on McPherson type struts only?
Old 11-15-05, 10:57 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Isn't this bag setup for use on McPherson type struts only?
Not really, it will go on any strut that use to have a spring that sits around it ( just as long as the strut's outer cylinder body is less than 2.1 inches). And if you are using this bag with a McPherson type strut, you will need to get the bearing kit (not unless you can modify your factory upper strut mount).

Last edited by V8_Aristo; 11-15-05 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-15-05, 11:32 PM
XBS1
Driver

Would you advise going with the Air Over shocks or this Universal bag over some L-Tuned shocks?
Old 11-16-05, 09:10 AM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Would you advise going with the Air Over shocks or this Universal bag over some L-Tuned shocks?
No shock or strut like the abuse of getting bottomed out all the time. The problem with using the Universal Aero Sport bag is that you are limited to the height where the L-Tuned (or any factory spec) strut would botton out. The Air Over Shock set up is more customizable as far as length of shocks and adjustable dampening.

I would advise Air Over shocks to someone that will not be using the Aero Sport bag with coilover, for the simple fact that damper adjustabilty is important.
Old 11-17-05, 10:39 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

The thing is easystreet has like 3 different lenghts on those. Also they have sleeve or bellows type bags on them.
Old 01-29-09, 06:43 PM
AirZenith
Driver School Candidate

Default Azob2 black

The popular ones are the Viair 380 or the new air compressor that came out Air Zenith.
AZ-OB2 is 3.5 CFM, 100% Duty, 2-Year Warranty that blows 380 out of water!

Quick Reply: Air Ride Suspension: Need Advice